COmplete startup guide?

  • leemaisel
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
      Is there a complete startup guide somewere?  I'm trying very unsuccessfully to get setup for network105 and using the UZ7HO softmodem, and can't find a good CFG for BPQ32.

      Thanks

      W5LMM
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
        The installer will create a basic config file (bpq32.cfg). Comments within the file indicate what needs to be customised.

        The online docs are at g8bpq.org.uk. The link to the UZ7HO section is http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/UZ7HODriver.htm This includes a sample port config, which you can copy to your bpq32.cfg.

        73, John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013

          Where is this bpq32.cfg file?  my installer did not create one apparently... (latest)   Also I heard that there's a GUI config utility floating aroud, but damned if I can find it.

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013

            In the normal installation BPQ32 makes two directories under windows.

            One in Program Files

            And one in a folder called application data – I forget where this is I nolonger use Windows much..

            Do a simple search for bpq32.cfg you will find it..

            As far as the GUI…Are you thinking of the web access that allows you to change some of your advanced features like Mail and chat?

            73 jerry n9lya

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
                You can open the configuration folder from Start Menu/All Programs/BPQ32/VIew Configuration Folder. The config file should be highlighted.

                The GUI Config was never released, and has not been updated for a while

                John

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
                  That file shows configuring the BBS. You have to get the node going first before you can configure the applications.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
                    Ok, I've got the node going apparently and am abil to see data from the softmodem, and send out connects.  Now I have to do some reading, as I have a VHF side that I would like to use, and apparently no VHF/HF gateways here in Albuquerque that Iknow of.  So maybe I can set one up.
                  • Jerry
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013

                      Yes.. Nice..

                      Here is the link to my html configuration and user access..

                      W9bbs.no-ip.org:8080

                      73 jerry

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013

                        Thanks again I did archive this link..

                        The bottom section shows goo d info on Outpost Packet..

                        73 jerry

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 13, 2013

                          OK, so I have it running, am able to see everyone's packets, etc.  Try to connect (c 1 XXX7XX-?) my packet gets broadcast, I see a response, but no real terminal connection.   I must really have something screwed up.   I would like to do chat, mail, BBS, etc, but am clueless about setting everything up.

                          I assume I would need to know what other hosts and gateways need to be filled in for mail and such, but have no idea where to find this information.    There are a lot of parameters that make no sense to me.

                          Apparently I have my beacon working, LOL.

                          Thanks

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 13, 2013

                            When you say you seeing a response, is the TNC Rec. light coming on or are you only seeing the radio’s

                            S-Meter respond.

                            If you like, send me your bpq32.cfg, I will look it over and test it, I need to know what TNC & com port you are running.

                            Once we get the node switch working I will help you out with the Chat and Mail Server.

                            Mike N9PMO
                            BPQ32 Group Moderator

                            Ok, I've got the node going apparently and am abil to see data from the softmodem, and send out connects.  Now I have to do some reading, as I have a VHF side that I would like to use, and apparently no VHF/HF gateways here in Albuquerque that Iknow of.  So maybe I can set one up.

                            No virus found in this message.

                          • Mike
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 13, 2013

                              Note:

                              leemaisel@... would not accept e-mail

                              Mike N9PMO
                              BPQ32 Group Moderator

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 13, 2013

                                 Hi Mike, don't know what's going on with email, Yahoo has it all screwed up.

                                My email is maisel@...

                                As far as my CFG file, here it is at the end.

                                If it matters, I am in Albuquerque, and would like to get both sides up VHF/HF and I can crossband eventually.  I do have 2 radios I can use for that.   I know nothing about what to set for other hosts to forward to, is this automagic?   I'd like to get a working chat server going, a BBS/Mail, etc.  I am clueless about packet, have read some, but it seems more toward VHF and not much related to actual settings.

                                Is there some sort of naming convention of hosts?  It seems like I see XXX8XXX-1 (bbs) xxx8xxx-3(chat) xxx8xxx-7 (node)  is this correct?

                                Thanks,

                                73

                                Lee  W5LMM

                                --------------here's the file----------------

                                /* This begins a multi-line comment

                                CONFIGURATION FILE FOR BPQ32: G8BPQ SWITCH SOFTWARE

                                The purpose of this configuration is simply to confirm that the basic BPQ32
                                system is operable.  It contains only a LOOPBACK port.

                                To perform the basic test, compile this configuration file by executing
                                bpqcfg.exe, which will generate bpqcfg.bin. Now execute BPQTerminal.exe, and
                                in the lowest window enter:

                                C 1 MYNODE v MYCALL

                                You should receive the following response:

                                MYNODE:MYCALL} Connected to MYNODE
                                This is the CTEXT.
                                MYNODE:MYCALL} CONNECT BYE INFO NODES ROUTES PORTS USERS MHEARD

                                If you get the above response the basic test has succeeded.

                                This file: \Examples\Minimal\bpqcfg.txt

                                */ This ends a multi-line comment

                                LOCATOR=DM65rc
                                ;See LOCATOR details at:
                                ;http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQNodeMap.htm

                                PASSWORD=Changed
                                ; SYSOP Passord - See http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/Node%20SYSOP.html

                                NODECALL=W5LMM-7        ; Node callsign
                                NODEALIAS=W5LMM    ; Node alias (6 characters max)
                                ;BBSCALL=MYCALL        ; Replaced by APPL1CALL following APPLICATIONS=
                                ;BBSALIAS=MYNODE    ; Replaced by APPL1ALIAS following APPLICATIONS=
                                IDMSG:            ; UI broadcast text from W5LMM-7 to fixed dest ID
                                This is the IDMSG text.
                                ***            ; Denotes end of IDMSG text
                                BTEXT:            ; UI broadcast text from BCALL to destination UNPROTO=
                                This is the BTEXT text.
                                ***            ; Denotes end of BTEXT text
                                INFOMSG:        ; The INFO command text follows:
                                This is the INFOMSG text.
                                ***            ; Denotes end of INFOMSG text
                                CTEXT:            ; The CTEXT text follows:
                                This is the CTEXT text.
                                W5LMM-7:W5LMM} CONNECT BYE INFO NODES ROUTES PORTS USERS MHEARD
                                ***            ; Denotes end of CTEXT text
                                FULL_CTEXT=0        ; 0=send CTEXT to L2 connects to NODEALIAS only
                                            ; 1=send CTEXT to all connectees

                                ; Network System Parameters:

                                OBSINIT=6        ; Initial obsolescence set when a node is included
                                            ; in a received nodes broadcast. This value is then
                                            ; decremented by 1 every NODESINTERVAL.
                                OBSMIN=4        ; When the obsolescence of a node falls below this
                                            ; value that node's information is not included in
                                            ; a subsequent nodes broadcast.
                                NODESINTERVAL=15    ; Nodes broadcast interval in minutes
                                IDINTERVAL=60        ; 'IDMSG' UI broadcast interval in minutes, 0=OFF
                                BTINTERVAL=60        ; The BTEXT broadcast interval in minutes, 0=OFF
                                L3TIMETOLIVE=25        ; Max L3 hops
                                L4RETRIES=3        ; Level 4 retry count
                                L4TIMEOUT=60        ; Level 4 timeout in seconds s/b > FRACK x RETRIES
                                L4DELAY=10        ; Level 4 delayed ack timer in seconds
                                L4WINDOW=4        ; Level 4 window size
                                MAXLINKS=63        ; Max level 2 links
                                MAXNODES=128        ; Max nodes in nodes table
                                MAXROUTES=64        ; Max adjacent nodes
                                MAXCIRCUITS=128        ; Max L4 circuits
                                MINQUAL=168        ; Minimum quality to add to nodes table
                                ; INP3 Routing is experimental.  The two parms which follow will be ignored
                                ; unless activated in the ROUTES: section.
                                MAXHOPS=4        ; INP3 hop limit to add to tables
                                MAXRTT=90        ; INP3 max RTT in seconds
                                BUFFERS=255        ; Packet buffers - 255 means allocate as many as
                                            ; possible, normally about 130, depending upon other
                                            ; table sizes.

                                ; TNC default parameters:

                                PACLEN=236        ; Max packet size (236 max for net/rom)
                                 /*
                                PACLEN is a problem! The ideal size depends on the link(s) over which a packet
                                will be sent. For a session involving another node, we have no idea what is at
                                the far end. Ideally each node should have the capability to combine and then
                                refragment messages to suit each link segment - maybe when there are more BPQ
                                nodes about than 'other' ones, I'll do it. When the node is accessed directly,
                                things are a bit easier, as we know at least something about the link. So,
                                currently there are two PACLEN params, one here and one in the PORTS section.
                                This one is used to set the initial value for sessions via other nodes and for
                                sessions initiated from here. The other is used for incoming direct (Level 2)
                                sessions. In all cases the TNC PACLEN command can be used to override the
                                defaults.
                                 */

                                ; Level 2 Parameters:

                                ; T1 (FRACK), T2 (RESPTIME) and N2 (RETRIES) are now in the PORTS section

                                T3=120            ; Link validation timer in seconds
                                IDLETIME=720        ; Idle link shutdown timer in seconds

                                ; Configuration Options:

                                AUTOSAVE=1        ; Saves BPQNODES.dat upon program exit
                                BBS=1            ; 1 = BBS support included, 0 = No BBS support
                                NODE=1            ; Include switch support
                                HIDENODES=1        ; If set to 1, nodes beginning with a #
                                            ; require a 'N *' command to be displayed.
                                ; The *** LINKED command is intended for use by gateway software, and concern
                                ; has been expressed that it could be misused. It is recommended that it be
                                ; disabled (=N) if unneeded.

                                ENABLE_LINKED=N        ; Controls processing of *** LINKED command
                                            ; Y = allows unrestricted use
                                            ; A = allows use by application program
                                            ; N = disabled
                                /*
                                AX25 port definitions:

                                The LOOPBACK port simulates a connection by looping input to output. To test,
                                start BPQTerminal and enter: 'C 1 MYNODE via MYCALL'
                                In this example '1' is the LOOPBACK port number. The LOOPBACK port is provided
                                for testing purposes and would rarely be included in an established system.
                                */
                                PORT

                                 ID=UZ7HO Soundmodem
                                 DRIVER=UZ7HO
                                 CHANNEL=A
                                 PORTCALL=W5LMM
                                 PACLEN=80

                                 CONFIG

                                  ADDR 127.0.0.1 8000
                                  MAXSESSIONS=5
                                  UPDATEMAP
                                  BEACONAFTERSESSION
                                ENDPORT

                                PORT

                                 ID=UZ7HO Soundmodem Chan 2
                                 DRIVER=UZ7HO
                                 CHANNEL=B
                                 PORTCALL=W5LMM
                                 PACLEN=80

                                 CONFIG

                                  ADDR 127.0.0.1 8000 PATH
                                  MAXSESSIONS=5
                                  UPDATEMAP

                                ENDPORT

                                ROUTES:            ; Locked routes (31 maximum)
                                /*            ; Begin comment block
                                CALLSIGN,QUALITY,PORT[,MAXFRAME,FRACK,PACLEN,INP3Enable]

                                MAXFRAME, Frack and PACLEN if stated override the port defaults.
                                INP3Enable = 1 enables, 0 or null disable.  The INP3 (internode protocol)
                                implementation in BPQ32 is experimental.  See additional details in bpqaxip.cfg.
                                Example of a route statement using INP3:
                                HISCAL-12,1,1,0,0,0,1

                                Locked routes tend to be overused and should not be set unless truly needed.
                                */            ; End comment block
                                ; No routes are specified, as they would be meaningless for this configuration.
                                ***            ; Denotes end of locked routes
                                /*
                                Applications:

                                You can define additional Node commands that are available to your users. These may connect to
                                applications running on you computer, or be aliases or 'shortcuts' to other node commands.
                                For example you can define the command "BBS". This can either be set up to connect to a BBS running
                                on your computer, or to be an alias for a command that connects to a BBS on another system.

                                You can set up a callsign that if connected to will select the command, and if required cause the
                                call to be added to your NODES list.

                                The format is:

                                APPLICATION n,CMD,New Command,Call,Alias, Quality

                                n Application Number. You can define up to 32.
                                CMD The command the user types
                                New Command (optional) The Node command to be run
                                Call (optional) The call which directly invokes CMD
                                Alias and Quality (optional) If specified, causes an entry for Call and Alias to be added to your
                                NODES table with the specified Quality

                                For example:

                                APPLICATION 1,BBS,,W5LMM,W5LMMB,200
                                APPLICATION 2,CHAT,,W5LMM-1,W5LMMC,255
                                ;APPLICATION 3,DX,C DXCLUS

                                APPL1CALL=W5LMMB
                                APPL2CALL=W5LMMC

                                Associated with each Application number is an applications mask. Most BPQ32 applications can be configured to
                                use any Application. An exception is AR-Cluster using the OCX interface, which must be Appl 1. Normally an Application Mask is configured in the application, rather than an Application Number. The following table gives
                                the Application Mask values:

                                  Appl: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, etc
                                  Decimal Mask: 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128, etc
                                  Hexadecimal Mask: 0x1,0x2,0x4,0x8,0x10,0x20,0x40,0x80, etc

                                */

                                ; In this example no applications are supported.

                                --- In bpq32@yahoogroups.com, <mmelnik1@...> wrote:

                                Note:

                                leemaisel@... would not accept e-mail

                                Mike N9PMO
                                BPQ32 Group Moderator

                                Ok, I've got the node going apparently and am abil to see data from the softmodem, and send out connects.  Now I have to do some reading, as I have a VHF side that I would like to use, and apparently no VHF/HF gateways here in Albuquerque that Iknow of.  So maybe I can set one up.

                                No virus found in this message.

                              • leemaisel

                                  Ok, I've got the node going apparently and am abil to see data from the softmodem, and send out connects.  Now I have to do some reading, as I have a VHF side that I would like to use, and apparently no VHF/HF gateways here in Albuquerque that Iknow of.  So maybe I can set one up.

                                  No virus found in this message.

                                • n9acq
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 13, 2013

                                    Is the response from W5LMM-7 an UA frame? Is W5LMM-7 the BBS callsign-SSID? Can you connect to any other node or service?

                                    73 Bill

                                    N9ACQ

                                  • leemaisel
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 14, 2013

                                      Thanks BIll, Mike sent me a new CFG file that I'm going to try.