Password

  • n6kzb
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2013
      In the users configuration screen, after the NAME is PASSWORD, what is for?

      I had to manually add my call and password into  BPG CFG file, in order for remote log in via TCP to work.

      I though that is what is was for.

      Just curious, thanks.

      Mike
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2013

        Mike

        In the Manage Users Name & Pass Word is used if you are using a mail client program ea. MS Outlook,

        Outlook Express etc. to retrieve/Send/Reply to your messages in the BBS, it is also used if you have the

        NNTP server with remote access.

        In the bpq32.cfg/Telnet Server Port USER=Call Sign,Password,Call sign (case Sensitive) is used to access

        The BPQ Switch Applications, ea. BBS DX etc.

        You can add any user as requested, for ether Manual connections or Telnet inbound (only) connects from

        FBB, NOS etc. BBS'S,

        Note the two different statements:

        TCPPORT= Manual keyboard connects, Putty works the best

        FBBPORT= FBB, NOS etc. Only connects

        If you have the HTTP Server setup, to be able to access the Terminal, Mail Server Pages, Chat Server Pages

        The Telnet User for Sysop needs as follows:

        USER=callsign,password,callsign,"",SYSOP must be included, HTTPPORT=to a port ea. 80

        See the following web URL for an example:

        http://n9pmo.dyndns.org:81/Node/Nodes.htmll

        Or you can use

         www.n9pmo.com

        Some Sysops use Call signs in reverse for the password this is a (Very Bad idea) only passwords that the Sysop

        And User agrees on.

        Help URL:

        http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Documents.htm

        http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ%20Mail%20and%20Chat%20Server%20eMail%20Client%20Configuration.htm

        http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ%20Mail%20and%20Chat%20Server%20eMail%20Gateway.htm

        If you need further help feel free too E-mail me.

        73

        Mike N9PMO

        BPQ32 Group Moderator

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2013

            Mike

            It has been some time since I used Winlink or any of the WL2K programs, I use the BPQ32 CMS Server (RMS)

            You can send/receive from the Mail Server (BBS) or use the CMS Server Application, (must be setup first)

            Mike N9PMO
            BPQ32 Group Moderator

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7, 2013

              If a user has secure log in activated, it appears BPQ will not retrieve the mail since it has no way to negotiate the password. RMS Express, Airmail, and Paclink have the required routine for the password negotiation.

              As long as secure log in is not used, BPQ talking to the CMS works fine and obtains the email.

              If someone has a work a round great, otherwise just info for the group.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 17, 2014
                How is the "PASSWORD" field in the "USERS" screen used?

                K.O.
                --

                K.O. Higgs
                n0kfq@...

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 18, 2014

                  For POP3 access.

                  John

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 18, 2014
                    Thanks, John...
                    K.O.
                    On 2/18/2014 3:21 AM, John Wiseman wrote:

                    For POP3 access.

                    John