Ports

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2013
      XE2BNC was recently moved to a radio site from its test location.

      The router can not be accessed right now due to its location and the owner can't find his password. (Ergo can't reset it right now).

      I am unable to open ports 10093 10092 or 12005 to facilitate axip and other functions. Various other systems are mapped.

      XE2BNC-2 XE2BNC-2.NO-IP.ORG UDP 10093 B

      So we created some RF links to sort of keep BBS traffic moving. However we noticed that all of a sudden one "mapped" station ke7xo works via axip, all the others do not. This occurs after XE2BNC is active after about 45 minutes.

      How is this possible if the ports are locked, and why just him?

      I am grasping at straws but a local system, kg6hsq, a direct connection on RF, recently mapped xe2bnc and ke7xo. He indicates he sees me trying on axip but his responses don't get through the router.

      - Is there a way to get around these ports for the TCP function?

      - Should I just consider myself lucky until I can get the ports open?
      And just chalk all this up to life's mysteries?

      Mike
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 2013
        Mike,

        Some routers will open a port temporarily to allow a reply to an outgoing UDP packet. As long as the reply is sent to the source port in the packet, it will work. So for example if your source port is 10093 and the other station sends to you on 10093 it will work, if the source is 10093 and the other station sends to 10092 it won't. This isn't always very reliable - it depends how long the port is kept open by the router.

        An alternative is to use TCP.instead of UDP for AXIP.

        73, John

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 24, 2013
          Will try that.

          Thanks for the response and quick education.

          Mike