Node lockout

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 23 5:40 AM
      Been through the docs but a bit confusing.

      I have a VHF port that has a particular node call that is not a reliable connect.

      Is there anyway to stop that call sign from even appearing in my nodes table when a user does a "n" command at my switch.

      Or since he is a direct path, I am stuck with his node broadcast?

      Thanks, Mike
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 23 7:34 AM
        Mike

        In bpq32.cfg/Locked Routes the following is an example:

        ROUTES: ; Locked routes
        KBXXX-5,0,2 ;

        Node Call & SSID, Quality (0), Port the Node is heard on, by setting quality
        to 0, no connection from
        That node can be made to your node.

        Save bpq32.cfg

        Clear Nodes Re-Read bpq32cfg.

        73

        Mike N9PMO

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 23 10:13 AM
          Thanks.

          I tried it, and I though that is also what the docs indicated I did find. However once the station does his nodes broadcast, he appears in the nodes table.

          I was hoping to prevent it from even showing up.

          Users tend to see something and they try to connect.

          Thanks for the time on this,

          Mike

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 23 10:35 AM
            Mike,

            If he is appearing a a direct route , the config is wrong. Setting a route quality to zero will cause your system to ignore his nodes broadcast. He may still appear in NODES if there is an indirect link to him via another node.

            73, John

            I tried it, and I though that is also what the docs indicated I did find. However once the station does his nodes broadcast, he appears in the nodes table.

            I was hoping to prevent it from even showing up.

            Users tend to see something and they try to connect.

            Thanks for the time on this,

            Mike

            > Mike
            >
            > In
            bpq32.cfg/Locked Routes the following is an example:

            > ROUTES: ;
            Locked routes
            > KBXXX-5,0,2 ;
            >
            > Node Call & SSID,
            Quality (0), Port the Node is heard on, by setting quality
            > to 0, no
            connection from
            > That node can be made to your node.

            Save bpq32.cfg

            > Clear Nodes Re-Read bpq32cfg.

            73

            > Mike N9PMO
            > www.n9pmo.com

            > I have a VHF port that has a particular node
            call that is not a reliable
            > connect.
            >
            > Is there anyway
            to stop that call sign from even appearing in my nodes table
            > when a user
            does a "n" command at my switch.

            > Or since he is a direct path,
            I am stuck with his node broadcast?

            > Thanks,
            Mike

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 23 11:00 AM

              I would think direct/indirect if the node in question quality is
              0 I would think he would not end up
              In the nodes table?

              Can a wild card (*) in place of the nodes SSID be used and would
              that help?

              Mike N9PMO

              I tried it, and I though that is also what the docs indicated I
              did find. However once the station does his nodes broadcast, he
              appears in the nodes table.

              I was hoping to prevent it from even showing up.

              Users tend to see something and they try to connect.

              Thanks for the time on this,

              Mike

              > Mike
              >
              > In bpq32.cfg/Locked Routes the following is an example:
              >
              > ROUTES: ; Locked routes
              > KBXXX-5,0,2 ;
              >
              > Node Call & SSID, Quality (0), Port the Node is heard on, by
              setting quality
              > to 0, no connection from
              > That node can be made to your node.
              >
              > Save bpq32.cfg
              >
              > Clear Nodes Re-Read bpq32cfg.
              >
              > 73
              >
              > Mike N9PMO
              > www.n9pmo.com

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 23 11:17 AM
                The "keepali" keeps sending to the call and when it does, his station thinks it is a connect, so it responds with "welcome to" etc etc, very annoying. Both stations stay connected until one side or the other drops out, then it will start all over again.

                He is running some Jnos variant as a BBS with it broadcasting its call as a node. All I want is for his station not to appear and BPQ to stop constantly pinging him to see if he is alive.

                I would live with him appearing if we would not get into this connected state, and stop the pinging.

                Any thing I can do, or am I stuck with his being listed?
                I this my lot in life, hi hi

                Thanks for the time spent on this.

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 23 11:21 AM
                  I am sure it means nothing but he is running:

                  wq6n-linux.ampr.org

                  Most annoying..

                  Bye

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 23 11:26 AM
                    Mike,

                    It should do what you want. Double check your config. Also it is worth closing down your node and deleting BPQNODES.dat. It is possible the node is being reloaded from that.

                    73, John

                    The "keepali" keeps sending to the call and when it does, his station thinks it is a connect, so it responds with "welcome to" etc etc, very annoying. Both stations stay connected until one side or the other drops out, then it will start all over again.

                    He is running some Jnos variant as a BBS with it broadcasting its call as a node. All I want is for his station not to appear and BPQ to stop constantly pinging him to see if he is alive.

                    I would live with him appearing if we would not get into this connected state, and stop the pinging.

                    Any thing I can do, or am I stuck with his being listed?
                    I this my lot in life, hi hi

                    Thanks for the time spent on this.

                    Mike

                    > I would think
                    direct/indirect if the node in question quality is
                    > 0 I would think he
                    would not end up

                    Message-----

                    To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                    Mike,

                    > If he is appearing a a direct route , the config is
                    wrong.
                    > Setting a route quality to zero will cause your system to
                    ignore
                    > his nodes broadcast. He may still appear in NODES if there is
                    an
                    > indirect link to him via another node.

                    [BPQ32] Re: Node lockout

                    > Thanks.

                    tried it, and I though that is also what the docs indicated I
                    > did find.
                    However once the station does his nodes broadcast, he
                    > appears in the
                    nodes table.

                    > I was hoping to prevent it from even showing
                    up.

                    > Users tend to see something and they try to
                    connect.

                    > Thanks for the time on this,

                    Mike

                    www.n9pmo.com

                    "n" command at my switch.

                    > > Or since he is a direct
                    path, I am stuck with his node
                    > broadcast?

                    Thanks, Mike

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 23 11:33 AM
                      I have done that. Doing so again.

                      Doesn't seem to have much affect. But will watch it again this time around.

                      This in bpq.cfg

                      ROUTES:
                      KC6XXX-3,0,2 ;
                      KC6XXX-1,0,2 ;

                      I added the -1 route bas I think he has that going somewhere else, just in case. I can do a direct connect to the -3, the BBS.
                      The -1 is weak at best, and I have no idae what it is.

                      The worst part is my system sends him the "keep alive" to the -3 call and he treats it as a connect and we ping back and forth.

                      Thanks.

                      Mike

                      > Mike,
                      >
                      > It should do what you want. Double check your config. Also it is worth
                      > closing down your node and deleting BPQNODES.dat. It is possible the node is
                      > being reloaded from that.
                      >
                      > 73, John
                      >

                      > _____

                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 23 11:36 AM
                        This what occurs about one minute after re-boot with a clear nodes table

                        18:33:24T XE2BNC-2>KC6IKE-3 Port=4 <C C P>

                        18:33:26R KC6IKE-3>XE2BNC-2 Port=4 <I C S0 R0>: SAW:KC6IKE-3 Welcome to wq6n-linux.ampr.org network node Type ? for a list of commands. help <commandname> gives a description of the named command. --

                        18:33:28T XE2BNC-2>KC6IKE-3 Port=4 <C C P>
                        18:33:32T XE2BNC-2>KC6IKE-3 Port=4 <C C P>
                        18:33:36T XE2BNC-2>KC6IKE-3 Port=4 <C C P>
                        18:33:44T XE2BNC-2>KC6IKE-3 Port=4 <C C P>
                        18:33:48T XE2BNC-2>KC6IKE-3 Port=4 <C C P>
                        18:33:52T XE2BNC-2>KC6IKE-3 Port=4 <C C P>
                        18:33:56T XE2BNC-2>KC6IKE-3 Port=4 <C C P>

                        and on and on and on.............

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 23 11:37 AM
                          Is his call really kc6xxx?

                          John

                          _____

                          [BPQ32] Re: Node lockout

                          > The
                          "keepali" keeps sending to the call and when it does, his station thinks

                          it is a connect, so it responds with "welcome to" etc etc, very annoying.
                          > Both stations stay connected until one side or the other drops
                          out, then it
                          > will start all over again.
                          >
                          > He is running
                          some Jnos variant as a BBS with it broadcasting its call as a
                          > node. All
                          I want is for his station not to appear and BPQ to stop constantly

                          pinging him to see if he is alive.

                          > I would live with him
                          appearing if we would not get into this connected
                          > state, and stop the
                          pinging.

                          > Any thing I can do, or am I stuck with his being
                          listed?
                          > I this my lot in life, hi hi
                          >
                          > Thanks for the
                          time spent on this.

                          href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mike"
                          wrote:

                          > > John
                          > >
                          > > I would think
                          direct/indirect if the node in question quality is
                          > > 0 I would think
                          he would not end up

                          href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> ] On
                          > > Behalf Of John
                          Wiseman
                          > > Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 12:35 PM
                          > > To:
                          > > Subject: RE: [BPQ32] Re:
                          Node lockout

                          > > Mike,
                          > >
                          > > If he is appearing a a direct route , the config is wrong.
                          > > Setting a route quality to zero will cause your system to ignore
                          > > his nodes broadcast. He may still appear in NODES if there is an
                          > > indirect link to him via another node.
                          > >
                          > > 73,
                          John

                          > > From:
                          lockout

                          ;

                          > > > Node Call & SSID, Quality (0), Port
                          the Node is heard on, by
                          > > setting quality
                          > > > to 0, no
                          connection from
                          > > > That node can be made to your node.
                          > > >
                          > > > Save bpq32.cfg

                          Clear Nodes Re-Read bpq32cfg.

                          > > > 73
                          > > >
                          > > > Mike N9PMO
                          > > > www.n9pmo.com

                          lockout

                          > > > Been through the
                          docs but a bit confusing.

                          > > > I have a VHF port
                          that has a particular node call that is not a
                          > > reliable
                          > > > connect.
                          > > >
                          > > > Is there anyway to stop that
                          call sign from even appearing in
                          > > my nodes table

                          when a user does a "n" command at my switch.

                          > > > Or since he is a direct path, I am stuck with his node

                          broadcast?

                          > > > Thanks, Mike

                        • Mike
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 23 11:41 AM
                            Mike

                            In the RF port or all RF ports add the following:

                            NOKEEPALIVES=1 (yes the S is included)

                            As John suggested, exit all BPQ32 programs, make sure BPQ32.EXE
                            is not running, in the
                            View Configuration folder where the bpq32.cfg is located, delete
                            the file named
                            BPQNODES.dat

                            Restart programs as usual, I was having the polling problem with
                            Band openings.

                            This should solve the polling problem between net rom systems, I
                            have the NOKEEPALIVES=1 in all of
                            My RF ports.

                            Mike N9PMO
                            The "keepali" keeps sending to the call and when it does, his
                            station thinks it is a connect, so it responds with "welcome to"
                            etc etc, very annoying. Both stations stay connected until one
                            side or the other drops out, then it will start all over again.

                            He is running some Jnos variant as a BBS with it broadcasting its
                            call as a node. All I want is for his station not to appear and
                            BPQ to stop constantly pinging him to see if he is alive.

                            I would live with him appearing if we would not get into this
                            connected state, and stop the pinging.

                            Any thing I can do, or am I stuck with his being listed?
                            I this my lot in life, hi hi

                            Thanks for the time spent on this.

                            Mike

                            > I would think direct/indirect if the node in question quality
                            is
                            > 0 I would think he would not end up
                            > In the nodes table?
                            >
                            > Can a wild card (*) in place of the nodes SSID be used and
                            would
                            > that help?
                            >
                            > Mike N9PMO
                            > www.n9pmo.com

                          • Mike
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 23 12:02 PM
                              No, trying not to directly indicate someone who was there long before I came on channel.

                              Mike

                              > Is his call really kc6xxx?

                            • Mike
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 23 12:06 PM
                                Ok have done so and will see what happens.

                                Thanks

                                > Mike
                                >
                                > In the RF port or all RF ports add the following:
                                >
                                > NOKEEPALIVES=1 (yes the S is included)
                                >
                                > As John suggested, exit all BPQ32 programs, make sure BPQ32.EXE
                                > is not running, in the
                                > View Configuration folder where the bpq32.cfg is located, delete
                                > the file named
                                > BPQNODES.dat
                                >
                                > Restart programs as usual, I was having the polling problem with
                                > Band openings.
                                >
                                > This should solve the polling problem between net rom systems, I
                                > have the NOKEEPALIVES=1 in all of
                                > My RF ports.
                                >
                                > Mike N9PMO
                                > www.n9pmo.com

                              • Mike
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 23 12:24 PM
                                  And they all lived happily ever after..........

                                  That fixed the issue. Will ensure that is added to any future RF ports.

                                  I am now a good neighbor. Thanks to both of you.

                                  PS John, been 20 years but used to run early BPQ and an HF STA 30 meter port, with two local RF ports, along with W0RLI BBS.

                                  Ahhhh, those were the glory days of packet!

                                  Adios and again thanks !!

                                  Mike xe2/n6kzb