JNOS and BPQ

  • Angela
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hi All,

      It's been years since using BPQ408a with FBB5.15c and later FBB7.00
      on a DOS machine connected via ethernet to the NETCHL node.

      We do have some other priorities first, but I guess it might work
      using the new BPQ in Windooze and have JNOS in a DOS-box communicate
      to the ethernet via the BPQ driver.
      At least, I didn't read this anywhere, but I would expect the new BPQ
      to still use ethernet and in this case the ethernet card connected in
      Windooze. Would I be right with that?

      At home (one system) and at the local club (RCK, I'm currently in NL)
      we have several older systems running, all still also having ISA
      slots.
      Under Win98SE we run JNOS with it's own ISA-ethernet card and packet
      driver. This setup would no longer work when using PCI-cards and also
      not with later versions of Windoooze (2000 and XP).
      If the above setup could be replaced, using BPQ, we would have the
      option of using more modern machines when available and also we would
      be able to switch to W2000.

      For running JNOS with the OptoSCC-card, we have several P2-350
      systems, with enough spares, that run perfectly well with DOS. Yep,
      using Linux the system would be much more memory efficient, but that
      is still something for the future. Now, we simply need the system
      working, which it does well.

      I did see the option of using AXIP with BPQ, but not if BPQ would
      support TCP/IP from the application to the ethernet. I would expect
      not, but then an AXIP tunnel would do the trick.

      But, I guess this would be a nice experiment and if it works, it does
      open the way to some new approache.

      Angela

      As using the Radio Spectrum in NL has been an economic interest of
      the Government for several years now, a new NoV, or changing a NoV,
      since 1 Jan is charged at 140 euro...
      I guess they effectively reduced the requests for NoVs that way...