Re: Newbie with BPQ32

  • n9lya
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
      Hi Rick... I am running RMS with AGtoBPQ.. Cn you give me examples
      of the feaures that may not wok so I can test.. I do not see off hand
      anything missig.. But I guess maye there maybe... ust curious and
      also want to help with this... Jerry--- In
      BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@...> wrote:

      > John, All,
      >

      > Thanks. I got all the files and will try and digest. But John's
      comments
      > are more to the point. If AGWtoBPQ does not look and operate
      EXACTLY like
      > AGWPE then some of the features in the RMS menu and operation won't
      work
      > (like showing the ports available, checking on the bytes
      outstanding for
      > flow control, etc). If that's the case as John indicated I would
      rather put
      > in a native BPQ interface mechanism, menu and driver. It could
      present
      > menu info by parsing the BPQ32 cfg file (as RMS currently parses the
      > AGWPE.ini file) making all the options such as BPQ port selection
      work as
      > they should in RMS.
      >

      > With a clean BPQ32 interface it will be easier for the RMS user to
      set up
      > (no tricks like copying AGWPE.ini files or setting to Remote
      computer) and
      > it will also be possible for RMS to periodically check for BPQ32
      operation
      > and launch if required.
      >

      > Let me digest the info and config files you guys sent as well as
      the BPQ32
      > API documentation as suggested by John. It can be any more complex
      than the
      > AGWPE stuff!
      >

      > Thanks again for the feedback,
      >

      > Rick KN6KB
      >

      > _____

      Behalf Of John
      > Wiseman
      > Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:15 PM
      > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: RE: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32
      >

      > Rick,
      >

      > 1 - AGWtoBPQ replaces AGWPE. It uses the BPQ32 kernel in the same
      way as any
      > other BPQ32 application.
      >

      > 2 - I've only implemented the AGWPE functions needed to support
      applications
      > that I've been asked to support . The Ports request is identical,
      it will
      > reply to bytes outstanding, but without very useful values, it does
      not
      > support Login.
      >

      > I think others have already helped you with 3.
      >

      > I gather some uses have made RMS work with AGWtoBPQ, and I am happy
      to add
      > additional featues to AGWtoBPQ, However I would prefer new
      applications to
      > talk directly to the BPQ32 API rather than using emulations of other
      > interfaces. The API documention, along with sample programs, is
      available at
      > www.g8bpq.org. <http://www.g8bpq.org.uk> uk. There are both C and
      Visual
      > Basic samples, but the latter are VB4. I did convert a number of my
      VB
      > programs to VB2005, but I didn't like the complication of the
      interface
      > between managed and unmanaged code, so I rewrote them all in C. I'd
      be happy
      > to work with you to produce the code needed to provide a BPQ32
      interface
      > within RMS.
      >

      > 73,
      >
      > John G8BPQ

      Behalf Of Rick
      > Muething
      > Sent: 19 June 2008 21:42
      > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: RE: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32
      >
      > Jerry, All
      >
      > Thanks for the initial feedback but I am still trying to understand
      exactly
      > what BPQ32 does and how it (using AGWtoBPQ) emulates the interface
      to AGWPE
      > or PE Pro.
      >
      > I have BPQ installed and able to initialize with the default config
      file.
      > But before I can modify RMS to better work with BPQ32 I need
      specific
      > answers to the following questions:
      >
      > 1) Is BPQ used to replace the AGWPE or PE Pro or does it work in
      conjunction
      > with AGWPE?
      >
      > 2) Does the AGWtoBPQ interface appear to the connecting program
      EXACTLY like
      > the AGWPE TCPIP interface? Do all the functions like Ports request,
      bytes
      > outstanding request, Login etc work the same or is only a subset of
      the
      > AGWPE interface supported? (the RMS code currently relies heavily
      on some of
      > these extended commands ....e.g. The RMS menu port information for
      remote
      > AGWPE installations is obtained using the Port info request.
      >
      > 3) I would like to set up BPQ32 to work with a single KPC3 TNC
      working off a
      > single RS232 port and make that work with RMS. Can someone help me
      with the
      > configuration file and RMS settings that can make that work?
      >
      > Rick KN6KB

      Behalf
      > Of
      > Jerry - N9LYA
      > Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:59 PM
      > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com
      > Cc: 'kn6kb'
      > Subject: RE: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32
      >
      > Hi Rick. I have only been using BPQ for just under a year at best.
      I ran
      > an older version back in the late 90's..
      >
      > I do have RMS and BPQ32 running here at my place. No apparent
      problems
      > at all.. at this time..
      >
      > I will send you off list my bpqcfg.txt file..
      >
      > I may be able to allow u access via a remote client to my station
      so you
      > can look around.
      >
      > Just let me know if you would like to do so..
      >
      > 73 Jerry N9LYA
      >
      > ________________________________
      >
      > From: BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com
      > [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com] On
      Behalf
      > Of
      > kn6kb
      > Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:13 PM
      > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com
      > Subject: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32
      >
      > I am one of the developers of Winlink 2000 and the RMS server
      programs
      > and Paclink MP Client program. I want to better understand how
      BPQ32 is
      > used so I can update the programs to better support BPQ32. Can
      someone
      > help with some basic answers?
      >
      > 1) Can BPQ be used to replace the AGWPE or PE Pro? If I understand
      the
      > documentation correctly the AGWtoBPQ module will alow interfacing
      > BPQ32 an make it appear a AGWPE. If that is correct are the other
      > support functions of AGWPE (e.g. Version request, Login, bytes
      > outstanding request etc) all work as they do in AGWPE?
      >
      > 2) Can someone familiar with RMS Packet give me a suggestion on how
      > setup BPQ32 and RMS Packet to use BPQ32. I'll try and make this
      easier
      > for the user and document it in the RMS help files.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Rick Muething KN6KB
      > Winlink Development Team

      > Checked by AVG.