Re: [BPQ32] Tactical Call Signs and WL2K

  • Ken Jacobs
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6, 2013
      Tactical calls are entered just like a typical user callsign. The BBS does the polling of RMS much like Paclink does, using the callsign of the BBS to poll for all tactical calls.

      When users connect with either Outpost or RMS Express, either program can be setup to use tactical calls. Outpost has a setting for tactical calls. RMS Express uses an AUX call for the tactical and the user callsign for the main call. So packets should carry a proper callsign ID.

      Ken KD6PGI

      On 08/06/2013 07:57 PM, Mark Taylor wrote:

      Well, I guess that's why our 9 character tactical call signs do not work...

      Then my next query is where do you enter the tactical call signs? I would
      have assumed it would have been on the Users page somewhere but I don't
      see an obvious place.

      Thanks
      Mark

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 7, 2013
        Mark,

        You have to create a BBS user with the callsign set to the tactical call, and set the "Poll RMS" flag on that user. Messages for the tactical call will be downloaded to the BBS, and will be sent on to RMS Express.

        As BBS calls are limited to 6 characters, tihs only works for tactical calls of that length.

        73, John

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 7, 2013
          So, I am using RMS Express and when connected to any RMS Station,
          including mine, it receives mail sent to the tactical call just fine. No
          problems there.

          My BBS is set to poll RMS for my call but I see no place to enter a
          tactical call. Then I use Outlook to receive messages on my BBS addressed
          to me, which includes all WL2K messages sent to N5MDT, but not to the
          tactical call. This is where I am wanting to receive the tactical call
          mail. Otherwise I see no reason for a BBS to be polling RMS.

          But, this is all moot if I have to stick to 6 character tactical calls...

          Mark

          > Tactical calls are entered just like a typical user
          > callsign. The BBS does the polling of RMS much like
          > Paclink does, using the callsign of the BBS to poll for
          > all tactical calls.
          >
          > When users connect with either Outpost or RMS Express, either
          > program can be setup to use tactical calls. Outpost has a setting
          > for tactical calls. RMS Express uses an AUX call for the
          > tactical and the user callsign for the main call. So packets
          > should carry a proper callsign ID.
          >
          > Ken KD6PGI
          >
          > On 08/06/2013 07:57 PM, Mark Taylor wrote:
          >
          > Well, I guess that's why our 9 character tactical call signs
          > do not work...
          >
          > Then my next query is where do you enter the tactical call
          > signs? I would
          > have assumed it would have been on the Users page
          > somewhere but I don't
          > see an obvious place.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Mark

        • Mark Taylor
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 7, 2013
            Thanks John... that's where I was going wrong. A separate user for the
            tactical call...

            Mark

          • Charles Brabham
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 8, 2013
              I've just activated my "Mail for" becon - it appears to be addressed to "FBB" .

              I looked around, and didn't see where I could change it to "QST" or something like that.

              73 DE Charles, N5PVL

            • PE1RDW
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 8, 2013
                If you change it you will break software like winpac tsthost and wintst that depend on the mailfor beacons being adressed to fbb, I suspect that is why it is hardcoded.

                73 Andre PE1RDW
                Op 08-08-13 20:17, Charles Brabham schreef:
                I've just activated my "Mail for" becon - it appears to be addressed to "FBB" .

                I looked around, and didn't see where I could change it to "QST" or something like that.

                73 DE Charles, N5PVL

              • James Wagner
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 8, 2013
                  I's that a direct TNC setting?