Re: How BPQ CMS Access works - was RE: [BPQ32] Obselete gateway

  • PE1RDW
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25 3:32 AM
      Op 25-07-13 10:44, John Wiseman schreef:
      Dave, (and everyone using BPQ Telnet to access thr CMS system)

      This is my understanding of how the WL2K system works - I have copied this message to Lee and Lor of the WL2K team, and would appreciate if they would correct any misunderstandings.

      The WL2K system recognises two types of stations - clients and gateways. Until recently access for both was the same. They now require gateway systems to have a password, AND authorisation from them to be a gateway. Any station can still be a client.

      BPQ32 can be either a client or a gateway. When BPQMail (or the sysop on a console) connects, it behaves as a client. When a station connects to a CMS via you, it acts as a gateway.

      BPQ32 (from Version 6.0.2.1) supports the new secure signon, BUT ONLY IF CONFIGURED TO DO SO. You must add CMSCALL and CMSPASS to your Telnet config - see http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/TelnetServer.htm##cms

      The WL2K software reports "*** Obsolete gateway detected - please notify sysop - Disconnecting " if a BPQ System tries to be a gateway without CMSCALL and CMSPASS being configured - IT DOES NOT NECESSARILY mean you are not running the required version.

      If you define CMSCALL and CMSPASS, the BPQ software will try to do all connects as a gateway, which will fail if the station is not Authorised to be a gateway. So if you only need Client access (ie for BPQMAIL, but not for stations connecting to you), and you don't meet the WL2K requirements to be a Gateway, you are better off omitting the CMSCALL/CMSPASS.

      If you want to be a gateway (in practice this means having any WL2KREPORT lines in your config, which enable reporting to the WL2K frequency/mode database), you must include CMSCALL/CMSPASS, and be Authorised by the WL2K team.

      73, John

      This means that when always pulling WL2K for users trough the BBS you do not need to request a gateway status? that would make setting up a hub for a local group faster as you would not need to wait for the WDT to aprove your gateway status and run the risk of being rejected for whatever reason.

      73 Andre PE1RDW
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25 4:47 AM
        I believe that is correct, yes,

      • k9drh@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25 11:11 AM
          Thanks John,
          That is what I thought I understood.
          I already set CMSCALL & Pass when 6.0.2 came out. Having had that set I thought everything was going to work. Since posting the original message everything for my call works whether Sysop or Client through BBS or direct to RMS telnet.
          However I still have one client that connects straight to RMS node that is still getting the error. I will have to work with him to see what he has setup that may be causing the error. Not sure what program he is using either.
          Again thanks for the clarification.
          Dave K9DRH