RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] HSMM-MESH

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23 12:48 PM
      As there seems to be quite a bit of interest, I've put together some preliminary installation instructions. More technical info, build detaill, etc will follow.

      Download latest Rasbian image from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads and write to an SD Card in the usual way. (2GB is enough, but larger can be used). Leave card in PC.

      Download https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/meshautoconf0.4.3.zip and unzip, You should end up with a folder meshautoconf0.4.3.

      Check that you have folders lib, proc, sys, dev, etc, bin, files, OpenWRTFiles, PIFiles. I've sometimes had problems with winzip not creating empty folders.

      Open the boot partition of the SD card, and copy all the files and folders from meshautoconf0.4.3 into it.

      Unmount the SD card, install in PI, and power up, If you have a monitor it is worth connecting it so you can see what is going on.

      The PI should boot 3 times. The first time it uses the boot partition as the root partition, and copies a few files to the main partition on the PI. This takes a few seconds. The second time it uses the rc.local file just installed to install some packages (from the boot partition, so no internet is needed). and configure the node. This can take several minutes. It then boots again to activate the MESH configuration.

      The files are set up to work the same as a WRT54 node - the LAN port is configured as 172.27.0.1, with DHCP enabled - so you can connect a PC and configire the node in the usual way (web browser to localnode:8080). Sometimes I've found the PC doesnt get an IP address the first time. If this happens, rebooting the PI should fix it.

      I've found it easier to configure the LAN port with an address on my LAN, so I don't have to unplug the PC and connect it to the PI. You can edit file "interfaces" to set an address on your LAN instead of the 172.27 address. If you do this, remember to set the same address when you configure the Node. or you will loose access. You'll need to connect to the IP address:8080 to configure.

    • David Bird
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24 7:43 AM
        I have been using the RasPI and linBPQ with HSMM-MESH networks for some time. It is an exciting alternative to a Windows BPQ server. It is not the ultimate solution and has it's own set of challenges. There are also options to interface directly to a packet radio using the TNC-Pi or to add a serial port to connect to an existing TNC.

        Please be aware the HSMM-MESH Austin group (the developers of HSMM-MESH located in Austin, Texas) is in the process of releasing a new firmware version for the WRT54 compatible routers. The firmware addresses some OLSR reliability problems and will eventually provide interoperability with Ubiquity hardware. This should be a great improvement in performance and connection reliability.

        However, Broadband-HAMnet (the new name for the system) firmware is NOT compatible with the current and older HSMM-MESH versions. So be aware that to use the firmware ALL MESH nodes in a system will have to be flashed or they will not connect. This should be considered as you develop HSMM-MESH systems.

        For more information, go to the HSMM-MESH.org website.

        73, Dave
        WA7RYV

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 24 8:15 AM
          Thanks, Dave.

          Yes I'm aware of the olsr interoperability issues. My first build for the PI was based on the beta code, and wouldnt connect to a 0.4.3 WRT Node. I concentrated on getting compatibliy with existing nodes, but will produce a set of files that are compatible with the new code.

          73, John