RE: [BPQ32] BPQ backup

  • Jerry Kutche
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22, 2013
      Two identical servers two separate sets of hardware..  Two sets of antennas

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2013

        That was my short answer… Unfortunately I know of know way to use the same hardware on two servers to have either serer take over… At least not with Ham Radio…  Maybe some matrix wiring on serial ports…

        I do know you can have redundant servers and when one goes the other picks up.. Not fool proof or 100% reliable.. I have seen a primary server fail and no alert was sent two days prior that the slave server had already failed…

        But that leave the hardware issues that someone else may have a better idea on how to make redundant..

        I would just go with a GOOD system to start with.. Have Web based server monitoring. So if it fails someone is alerted and can get it back online. Also a GOOD UPS or automatic generator is a good idea…  Even with that there maybe no way to know if the radio or TNC failed unless you check on the system from time to time…

        Even if you have what I said in my earlier post… It maybe difficult to configure for auto switch over…

        Now what you could do is have another system nearby or across town running along with yours and always have a system that can be accessed likely hood of both being offline would be a bit lower.

        Just thoughts from a guy that gave this a thought once..

        Lets us know what you find out would be good information.

        73 jerry

        Two identical servers two separate sets of hardware..  Two sets of antennas

        I thought I posted this last night but don't see it here. I wanted to find out if there is a way to creat an automatic backup BBS? I wanted everything to fail over to the backup if the primary BBS failed. Is there a way to do this with BPQ?

        Thanks in advance for your input.

      • k1jtc
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 22, 2013
          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "k1jtc" <jeffrey.t.clark@...> wrote:

          > I thought I posted this last night but don't see it here. I wanted to find out if there is a way to creat an automatic backup BBS? I wanted everything to fail over to the backup if the primary BBS failed. Is there a way to do this with BPQ?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your input.

          I just found that Bill responded to my post last night which I didn't see. Anyway to clarify. If my computer were to blow up I want to see if there is a way to automatically switch to another computer that is setup and have that take over or am I just dreaming and I will really need to just put another computer in place as soon as possible.
        • k1jtc
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 22, 2013
            Jerry, Thanks for your thoughts. I actually want to have a system setup across town so if mine fails the other one will pickup. Not sure if it is possible as the BBS has names and call signs, etc. Just trying to figure out the best way to keep the BBS up in an emergency or if it fails before an emergency. UPS is a great suggestion and I actually watched a video on how to hook your car battery up to your ups so it will last longer.

            > That was my short answer… Unfortunately I know of know way to use the same hardware on two servers to have either serer take over… At least not with Ham Radio… Maybe some matrix wiring on serial ports…
            >

            > I do know you can have redundant servers and when one goes the other picks up.. Not fool proof or 100% reliable.. I have seen a primary server fail and no alert was sent two days prior that the slave server had already failed…
            >

            > But that leave the hardware issues that someone else may have a better idea on how to make redundant..
            >

            > I would just go with a GOOD system to start with.. Have Web based server monitoring. So if it fails someone is alerted and can get it back online. Also a GOOD UPS or automatic generator is a good idea… Even with that there maybe no way to know if the radio or TNC failed unless you check on the system from time to time…
            >

            > Even if you have what I said in my earlier post… It maybe difficult to configure for auto switch over…
            >

            > Now what you could do is have another system nearby or across town running along with yours and always have a system that can be accessed likely hood of both being offline would be a bit lower.
            >

            > Just thoughts from a guy that gave this a thought once..
            >

            > Lets us know what you find out would be good information.
            >

            > 73 jerry

          • PE1RDW
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 22, 2013
              Op 22-07-13 22:04, k1jtc schreef:

              > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "k1jtc" <jeffrey.t.clark@...> wrote:
              >> I thought I posted this last night but don't see it here. I wanted to find out if there is a way to creat an automatic backup BBS? I wanted everything to fail over to the backup if the primary BBS failed. Is there a way to do this with BPQ?
              >>
              >> Thanks in advance for your input.
              >>
              > I just found that Bill responded to my post last night which I didn't see. Anyway to clarify. If my computer were to blow up I want to see if there is a way to automatically switch to another computer that is setup and have that take over or am I just dreaming and I will really need to just put another computer in place as soon as possible.

              it's easy to have a second pc running with a mirror bpq setup but not
              with the same ssid, just need to connect the tnc(s) with a diode matrix,
              the 2 can forward messages to eachother to stay more or less in sync but
              there is no transparant switchover.

              73 Andre PE1RDW
            • N9ACQ
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 22, 2013

                Jerry

                                I agree with Andre. A perfect example is KF4CMJ, with two systems in the same town. Each BPQ node has RMS Packet and can run BOQ Mail and BPQ Chat, in addition to Paclink. Stations are linked via 440 at 9600.

                73 Bill

                N9ACQ