RE: [BPQ32] SGARN

  • Iain Moffat
    Message 1 of 89 , Jul 7 1:33 PM

      Charles

      I think I tried to answer two questions with my last post and did not separate them sufficiently.

      I think you are right that for most users who compare the internet and packet versions of file transfer, e-mail, or web browsing with the best packet  equivalent (be it pure X25 or IP over AX25) the radio version has seemed a poor relation since wired modems surpassed what could be done over a 3KHz AF passband NBFM or SSB radio in the mid 1990s. To revive interest in radio data networks it is necessary to find applications that need independence from infrastructure, and the ability to multicast and broadcast with no more channel capacity or processing requirement than to send a point to point message in order to make a radio network attractive. It may be better to look to the earliest days of radio data – things like SAGE, NTDS and submarine broadcasts of the 1950s to find alternatives to the internet-like “access node and backbone” connection oriented model (although some would argue that early shared media Ethernet at least was modelled on Aloha, a radio network).

      One can however make a distinction between the applications a network is used for and the software and hardware used I don’t see any great harm in reusing standard components where it is possible to do so in order to get something working sooner (and get it maintained and debugged by the full resources of an operating system vendor or community!). As most of the IP stack is latent in every modern operating system and the sockets API appears in most standard programming languages in more or less disguised form it saves a lot of development work to use it, whereas a separate protocol stack requires a separate application that treats the network interface as a raw device and handles all layers of the protocol stack in a userspace program (i.e. something a lot like BPQ32, to stay vaguely on topic!). As an analogy one may prefer bikes to cars, but it’s easier to buy ready-made nuts and bolts than make them with a lathe when building your bike even if they come from the same place a car factory gets them.

      Regardless of the underlying network and software components what is necessary is to develop applications that work better over radio than traditional unicast networks that are easy to install and configure and have few or no administrative barriers to entry. That’s what the world wide web did for wired IP networks and what only APRS and the PSK modes have got close to in the amateur radio world this century.

      Regards

      Iain

      73 de G0OZS

      Message 89 of 89 , Jul 15 2:45 PM