Re: BPQ & the PK-900

  • Ron Stordahl N5IN
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 13, 2008
      I forgot...AGWPE can control a sound card modem at 300 baud...at least
      it says so on the AGWPE website.

      Ron, N5IN

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ron_n5in@...> wrote:

      > In posting #1049 John suggested there might be a possibility DRSI
      > cards might work with Win98, however nobody appears to have reported
      > trying.
      >
      > Another possibility would be to use a MFJ1270C with John's JKISS code.
      > The 1270C has a switch on the rear to switch between a radio rate of
      > 1200 and 300 baud. This is almost certain to work.
      >
      > The trick will be finding a 1270C...they have become rare...with luck
      > you could find one on eBay.
      >
      > Long ago I had a PK900 and recall they were buggy.
      >
      > Ron, N5IN
      >
      > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "David Calder n4zkf" <n4zkf@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yesterday I gave up on the PK 900. I don't know what it is but have
      > not had
      > > long forwarding session on 14.098 since I put it online. I ordered a
      > dual
      > > core
      > > motherboard with ISA slots and I'm going back to DRSI.
      > >
      > > I never did like anything else better. I'm dumping this version of
      > FBB also.
      > > Too many bugs. It copies people into the users multiple times, ect.
      > After
      > > 20 years of running this thing I thought about dumping it but
      Jerry has
      > > talked
      > > me out of it. The BPQ works great. 4.10.4 Did I not see in the
      messages
      > > a interface file from John or someone to make this version work with
      > DRSI's?
      > >
      > > Thanks 73 Dave
      > > n4zkf
      > > www.n4zkf.com
      > >

      > > _____

      AR-Cluster, in
      > > which case you can set the applications mask as you wish, and thus
      > > AR-Cluster will not be tied down to the first position.
      > >
      > > This is described in detail in my Installation Document which is
      > part of the
      > > current BPQ32 installer release.
      > >
      > > Ron, N5IN

      TNC?S but
      > > there is another setting for the Radio Speed.
      > >

      > > Mike Melnik
      > >
      > > N9PMO

      But it's
      > > like
      > >
      > > when I put it in KISS is reverts back to 11/4 which is 1200/1200
      modems.

      > > Anyone ever have a PK-900 and played with it?
      > >

      > > 73 Dave n4zkf
      > >

      > > _____

    • Jerry - N9LYA
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 13, 2008

        Hi Dave…

        I am just beside myself this morning…

        Thanks for hanging in there.. Trying to cleanup the skipnet so we can exchange a lot better…

        Wanted to let you and the other know …

        I attended the Indy Hamfest yesterday..

        The Emergency group wants to reestablish a statewide packet network.

        I was asked to be the State Packet Coordinator…

        Are you running the beta version of FBB… I we reverted back to 7.00e…

        73 jerry n9lya

        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 13, 2008
          AGWPE sound card modem at 300bps does a nice job!
          Had used it on HF with better reception than my old PK232.

          Mark Jordan, PY3SS

          On 13 Jul 2008 at 13:41, Ron Stordahl N5IN wrote:

          > I forgot...AGWPE can control a sound card modem at 300 baud...at
          > least
          > it says so on the AGWPE website.
          >
          > Ron, N5IN

        • Ron Stordahl
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 13, 2008
            Mark PY3SS

            Do you need an audio transformer to isloate the soundcard/computer from the mike input to the transceiver?  Do you use VOX or is there are way to generate PTT?  Is there a way to generate direct FSK rather than AFSK?

            Perhaps you have a link to the details?

            Ron, N5IN

            AGWPE sound card modem at 300bps does a nice job!
            Had used it on HF with better reception than my old PK232.

            Mark Jordan, PY3SS

            On 13 Jul 2008 at 13:41, Ron Stordahl N5IN wrote:

            > I forgot...AGWPE can control a sound card modem at 300 baud...at
            > least
            > it says so on the AGWPE website.
            >
            > Ron, N5IN

          • David Calder n4zkf
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 13, 2008
              John emailed me. I think we have it covered. But thanks for the return email.

              My 1278 Worked OK also but I'm just an old DRSI man. I like the things
              and have the external HF modem that plugs into port two.

              The PK900 works fine but it seems like the TX frequency on the HF modem
              is off a little bit.
              I have tweaked and tweaked and I'm over it.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 13, 2008
                Yea I am and going back.

                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 13, 2008
                  I use my radios and computers all grounded
                  to the same point, so no need to use transformers.
                  SV2AGW Packet Engine can provide PTT output at
                  the COM or LPT ports. I don't think it generates FSK.

                  Here is the link:

                  http://www.kc2rlm.info/soundcardpacket/

                  There is this Yahogroup:

                  73, Mark Jordan - PY3SS

                  On 13 Jul 2008 at 7:54, Ron Stordahl wrote:

                  > Mark PY3SS
                  >
                  > Do you need an audio transformer to isloate the soundcard/computer
                  > from the mike input to the
                  > transceiver? Do you use VOX or is there are way to generate PTT? Is
                  > there a way to generate
                  > direct FSK rather than AFSK?
                  >
                  > Perhaps you have a link to the details?
                  >
                  > Ron, N5IN

                • David Calder n4zkf
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 22, 2008
                    The new P4 MB with ISA slots will be here Friday. With No memory!

                    ISA Main Board JSP-403B $239.00
                    2.8 P4 Processor $149.00
                    Copper Heat sync w/Fan 57.00
                    Total: $445.00

                    I can't wait to get back to DRSI cards. Does it show?

                    John, I'll try your file and we'll so how it all goes.

                    73 Dave
                    n4zkf

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 22, 2008
                      Hi Dave,

                      FYI I just bought a 2.8G P4 533 FSB for 49.95 from Geeks.com
                      They had them up to 3Gig 800Mhz FSB 79.00 they call them used, but they
                      really are Pulls, I haven't had any problems with the others I bought has
                      been over a 1 1/2 years when I bought my first one from them, a good price
                      on memory's as well free S&H. The fan cooled Copper heat sink is a very
                      good idea, instead of a small heat sink and a tunneled fan.

                      Surprised you were able to find a board with ISA slots.

                      Mike Melnik

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 22, 2008
                        I paid for it, that's for sure....

                        But I'm over the TNC's. I want my DRSI's back. I haven't had a decent bulletins
                        pass on 14.098 since I went away from them.

                        Plus I'm dumping the beta FBB. What a mess it is.

                        73 Dave