HF Skipnet

  • Jerry
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013

      Hi all,

      Just soliciting for anyone wanting to do BBS forwarding using 300 Baud HF, Robust packet, Pactor I II III, WINMOR…

      If interested just send me a private email..  73 Jerry N9LYA

      N9LYA/K9BBS  http://www.w9bbs.no-ip.org:8080

      Linbpq 6.0.2.12 Debian Linux 7.0.0 Dell_Server_2600_4GBRAM_73GBHD_Dual_Dual_Core_CPU_1.8Ghz

      W9HU http://www.w9bbs.no-ip.org:8081

      PilinBPQ 6.0.2.12

      Raspbian-wheezy-7_Rpi_B_700MHz_256MBram_32GB-SD-class10

      N9LYA-5

      JNOS 2.0j Debian Linux 6.0.6

      HP 3.4Ghz  2GB Ram 2TB Hard drive

      http://www.mitchellwx.com

      http://www.n9lya.com

      http://www.kutche.net

      http://www.hfskipnet.net

    • n9lya
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2016

        I am thinking of dropping 300 bvaud HF Packet here execpt on 7103.5 LSB where I have an SCS tracker running both RPR600 and HF300 baud.

        I have lost two HF rigs and one KAM (repaired) over the last few weeks. I see no reason to try and put too much $$ into them.

        I have setup 14.098 on my 746 but it scans.. Trying to see if n4zkf is still on. If he is I may try to piece together my 20 meter port for him to connect to... But he is all I ever see on that heard list and i have not seen himlately.. If you are on Dave email me.... or reply here.

        I do see N0XR on 40 HF Packet as well as RPR and Pactor..

        Just think its time to reevaluate my station.

        As of today i recomend stations wishing to join to use WINMOR, RPR or Pactor...

        I would like to drop HF 300 by end of 2016. Repair the HF rigs and put one in a couple rooms for use on Voice.

        Its been a good run.

        I will use the KAMs on VHF so no lose of use for them.

        73 Jerry N9LYA

      • charles brabham
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2016

          I dropped out of the "HF skipnet" in large part because the majority of the traffic was run over IP links, not amateur radio. When the legitimacy was lost, I like many others lost all interest.

          It really doesn't matter what kind of token amateur radio equipment you run, if you are letting the internet carry most of your traffic.

          Don't get me wrong, I like the internet and do a lot there. - But it is not ham radio.

          The SGARN network is all ham radio, and only ham radio. Growth has been steady but slow - but it is at least legitimate as an amateur radio activity.

          To set up a SGARN BBS, use the SGARN HF multicasts to receive the ARRL bulletins on HF (Any good HF receiver will do)  - and otherwise utilize VHF, UHF and SHF as specified at SGARN for terrestrial networking.

          BBS operation really has its best chance of a future on VHF, UHF and SHF... On HF, it's really only good for mailbox operation as we see on NET105.

          www.sgarn.org

          Traditional BBS forwarding on HF is dead, the corpse still staggers around but it is a zombie. - Be kind enough to let it die at last.

          73 DE Charles, N5PVL

[...]

        • KA9LCF