BBS=1 parameter

  • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2008
      Forgive what is likely a dumb question, but what exactly does this do?

      Tnx

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
    • Ron Stordahl N5IN
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2008
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

        > Forgive what is likely a dumb question, but what exactly does this do?
        >
        > Tnx
        >
        > 73
        > Jeff
        > WA4ZKO

        John G8BPQ would have to actually confirm this, but the BBS= parameter
        may be a relic from the past. However you must have it defined in
        your bpqcfg.txt file or you will get a compiler error when running
        bpqcfg.exe.

        The best bet is to set BBS=1 if you have a BBS running on the same
        machine which is to interface with BPQ32. By 'BBS' is meant any
        program such as a BBS, a Packet Cluster, RMS, etc to which the user
        will make a connection via BPQ32.

        If there is no 'BBS' running on the machine, then you would typically
        set BBS=0.

        In the application which you described in the just prior posting you
        would want BBS=1.

        Ron Stordhal, N5IN
      • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2008
          Thanks again Ron for good info.

          I'll leave it be at BBS=1 since both systems I'm going to be tinkering
          with will involve either a dxcluster or BBS on them.

          73
          WA4ZKO

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Stordahl N5IN" <ron_n5in@...> wrote:

          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Forgive what is likely a dumb question, but what exactly does this do?
          > >
          > > Tnx
          > >
          > > 73
          > > Jeff
          > > WA4ZKO
          > >
          > John G8BPQ would have to actually confirm this, but the BBS= parameter
          > may be a relic from the past. However you must have it defined in
          > your bpqcfg.txt file or you will get a compiler error when running
          > bpqcfg.exe.
          >
          > The best bet is to set BBS=1 if you have a BBS running on the same
          > machine which is to interface with BPQ32. By 'BBS' is meant any
          > program such as a BBS, a Packet Cluster, RMS, etc to which the user
          > will make a connection via BPQ32.
          >
          > If there is no 'BBS' running on the machine, then you would typically
          > set BBS=0.
          >
          > In the application which you described in the just prior posting you
          > would want BBS=1.
          >
          > Ron Stordhal, N5IN

        • Dave Zeph
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2008

            The G8BPQ software dates from the mid-1980’s.  I remember first using it with the W0RLI Packet BBS software.  That’s the reason for BBS=1.

            Tpday the parameter might more appropriately be named  APPLICATION=1

            73 -à Dave, W9ZRX

            http://www.eset.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11, 2008
              Hi Jeff,

              BBS=1 enables the application interface within BPQ. Without it, the code runs as a packet switch only, (like a NET/ROM TNC), and doesn't allow connection to applicatiuon programs on the PC.

              73,
              John G8BPQ

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 11, 2008
                Thanks John, figured it was something like that, but wasn't sure.

                While I've got you, thanks mucho for your work on BPQ32! I'm just
                getting started with it and it looks to be a pretty slick packet
                networking package. With TheNet and FlexNet essentially dead
                (development wise), it's refreshing to see stuff like this being keep
                current and under active development.

                Thanks for your efforts and thanks to those that helped you
                refine/debug it!

                73
                Jeff
                WA4ZKO