RE: [BPQ32] Is there a way to monitor linbpq?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 22 5:52 AM
      Traffic on ax.25 ports can be monitored using BPQTermTCP. There is a Windows version in the BPQ32 distrubution. PI and 386 Linux versions can be downloaded from

      A fair amount of trace information is written to syslog, but a traffic trace would be a useful addition - maybe someting like axlisten.

      73, John

      My system took off this morning, banging away and I had no idea what what happening. There way no other signal on the freq at the time. I suppose it was garbaging up the freq. I pulled the pull and rebooted. It seems to be stable right now. It really would have been helpful to have been able to tail a log file to see what was going on.

    • nl2prc
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 22 7:20 AM
        Hi John

        Is the TermTCP.c file not missing the Makefile

        73,Ascal

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 22 8:21 AM
          Sorry, I intended to post the link to the binary.

          73, John

          href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/piTermTCP">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/piTermTCP

          href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Rod

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 22 11:54 AM
            Hi John

            The binairy is not worki'n on my RedHat 9 machine

            [root@localhost lin]# ./termtcp
            Floating point exception
            [root@localhost lin]#

            Maybe you can still post the src files for me so i can compile them myself

            73, Ascal

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 22 12:49 PM
              Ascal,

              I'm away sailing at the moment, so don't have much with me. I think the source I originally posted the link to is the latest. It is a GTK program, so you'll need the gtk libraries I don't have the build script with me, but from memory I think it was just a basic gtk compile.

              73, John

              The binairy is not worki'n on my RedHat 9 machine

              [root@localhost lin]# ./termtcp
              Floating point exception
              [root@localhost lin]#

              Maybe you can still post the src files for me so i can compile them myself

              73, Ascal

              > Sorry, I intended to post the
              link to the binary.

              href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/TermTCP">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/TermTCP

              href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> , "John

              href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/TermTCP.c">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/TermTCP.c

              Sent: 21 June 2013 17:04
              > > To:
              > > Subject: [BPQ32] Is there a
              way to monitor linbpq?

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 22 1:30 PM
                I've just had a thought.

                LinBPQ now includes a TNC2 Emulator. So you just need to set up a TNC2 port, attach a terminal program, and enter M ON

                I use putty as a terminal, but any serial terminal, such as minicom, should do as well.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 22 1:34 PM
                  Sorry, that is MON ON, not M ON.

                  John

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 22 2:32 PM
                    > I've just had a thought.
                    >
                    > LinBPQ now includes a TNC2 Emulator. So you just need to set up a TNC2
                    > port, attach a terminal program, and enter Mon ON
                    >
                    > See
                    > http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQCFGFile.html##TNCPort
                    > for configuring the TNC Emulator.

                    It looks like the TNC emulator already has a simple KISS option..
                    I'm learning to check before asking...

                    So since the to-do list must be about empty, here's some notes from
                    the aprsisce-cafe where they were chatting about similar inter-program
                    connectivity and the touch tone feature of the Dire Wolf sound card
                    modem. The "simple net KISS" looks useful as a light weight (keep it
                    simple) scheme.

                    73
                    Bill, WA7NWP

                    ---

                    I don’t know if KISS over IP is a new scheme, but I looked around very
                    hard to try and do what I wanted. Wanted something a bit more user
                    friendly. Than com0com. I had a Free IP to com port virtual software
                    handy.
                    On asking John, he had a lot of the code required already to hand and
                    was able to get it going in short order.
                    This had nothing to do with APRSIS32, but I knew there was a TCP/IP
                    option on the KISS setup, so gave it a go and it works fine, so you
                    could connect to a system anywhere in the world.
                    I think KISS over IP is a more flexible approach, in terms that it’s
                    easy to connect anything that ever looked at a TNC.

                    John is now working on Decoding DTMF, for APRStt, and hopefully Lynn
                    will find time to do something with that.
                    Very handy for SAR and EMA where you can get any Amateur with a
                    capable radio to join in.

                    All the hard work of course is done by people like Lynn and John, I
                    just come up with ideas and research things a bit.
                    Sometimes the ideas are good other times bad.
                    But I do hope that I have helped make both bits of software what they
                    are today. I think if I can support people like Lynn and John, in some
                    small way, it’s some payback for the time and effort they put in to
                    giving us the software we use.
                    The other interesting project is of Course the RDF system being
                    developed by another amateur which hopefully will integrate with
                    APRSIS32.
                    All in all this is progressing into a very advanced APRS system, which
                    I don’t think will be bettered for some time to come, if at all.

                    Big thank you to all involved

                    Steve Daniels
                    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
                    Torbay Freecycle Owner