Some questions, BPQ32, AR-Cluster, and RMS Packet

  • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2008
      Okay, finally got some spare time to play with BPQ32 and try a few
      ideas I've had for awhile now.

      I've got a PK-96 and rig that I'd like to run both AR-Cluster and RMS
      Packet on the same RF port. Looks like this is possible (although
      maybe not the best idea in the world if it gets busy, grin) but
      figured I'd ask on here?

      From my reading of the docs and various examples:

      1. I'll have to use AGWPE for the TNC.

      2. AR-Cluster will have to be the 1st application as apparently it's
      hard coded to mask 1? and told to use AGWPE?

      3. RMS Packet needs to talk to AGWPE, no native support for BPQ32
      (although I understand work is underway) thus I have to use the BPQtoAGW?

      4. AGWPE will have to be set for port 8001 ?

      5. BPQtoAGW will have to be setup and use port 8000 ?

      6. Ports on #4 and #5 above can be other port numbers, just as long as
      they are unique and I can keep track of what is what?

      Any hints or gotcha's here?

      Thanks in advance.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
    • Ron Stordahl N5IN
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2008
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

        > I've got a PK-96 and rig that I'd like to run both AR-Cluster and RMS
        > Packet on the same RF port. Looks like this is possible (although
        > maybe not the best idea in the world if it gets busy, grin) but
        > figured I'd ask on here?
        >
        > From my reading of the docs and various examples:
        >
        > 1. I'll have to use AGWPE for the TNC.

        While you could use SV2AGW's AGWPE.EXE program to connect to the TNC,
        and then have BPQ32 interface with it via the BPQtoAGW.DLL (see
        ..\Examples\Large_with_AGWPE\bpqcfg.txt) this is unnecessarily
        complicated. You must take care to avoid port number conflicts if you
        choose this round about method.

        Normally one would put the PK-96 in KISS mode using a terminal
        emulator, such as HyperTerm, and send KISS ON, then have BPQ32
        directly interface with the TNC (see
        ..\Examples\Large_without_AGWPE\bpqcfg.txt. In such a case you would
        not run AGWPE.exe on your system.

        AGWPE.exe would normally only be used if you needed to control a sound
        card modem, and is not needed for a TNC which directly supports KISS,
        such as the PK-96.

        > 2. AR-Cluster will have to be the 1st application as apparently it's
        > hard coded to mask 1? and told to use AGWPE?

        It depends upon which interface of AR-Cluster you choose. If you
        choose the OCX interface, then AR-Cluster hard codes the application
        mask as 0x1 and AR-Cluster must correspond to the first positional
        parameter in APPLICATIONS= of bpqcfg.txt.

        If in AR-Cluster you select the AGWtoBPQ interface, then the
        applications mask is set in the Config box in AGWtoBPQ.exe and you can
        set it as you wish, which could be 0x1 to correspond to the first
        positional parameter in APPLICATIONS=, or 0x2 to correspond to the
        second positional parameter, etc.

        I am a bit concerned in your statement 'and told to use AGWPE'. I
        don't think you really are going to also run the AGWPE.exe program are
        you? While you can it's an unnecessary layer of complexity.

        > 3. RMS Packet needs to talk to AGWPE, no native support for BPQ32
        > (although I understand work is underway) thus I have to use the
        BPQtoAGW?

        At this point you can use AGWtoBPQ.exe to interface with RMS Packet.
        This has been discussed in this forum. And since I have not actually
        tested this myself I refer you to prior postings on this forum.
        Ideally native support will be provided by the RMS author at some
        point. You would set the applications mask in AGWtoBPQ to correspond
        to the position in APPLICATIONS=. Look at the
        ..\Examples\..\bpqcfg.txt files where I tried to thoroughly explain this.

        > 4. AGWPE will have to be set for port 8001 ?

        Yes, if you insist upon the added complexity of using AGWPE.exe, then
        it must use a different port number than AGWtoBPQ.exe.

        > 5. BPQtoAGW will have to be setup and use port 8000 ?

        BPQtoAGW.DLL is used only if you do actually use AGWPE.exe, and if
        used it must match the port number of AGWPE.exe. You would set
        AGWPE.exe to use port 8001 and configure BPQtoAGW.DLL in bpqcfg.txt to
        match, using port 8001.

        > 6. Ports on #4 and #5 above can be other port numbers, just as long as
        > they are unique and I can keep track of what is what?

        I have suggested 8000 for AGWtoBPQ.exe and 8001 for AGWPE.exe, but
        these are programmable by the user. AGWtoBPQ.exe and AGWPE.exe do not
        talk to each other directly and in the unlikely case that you run both
        of these on the same machine, they must use different port numbers.
        If you really want to use both, then AGWtoBPQ communicates with BPQ32
        via tcp using port 8000, and BPQ32 communicates with AGWPE.exe via tcp
        using port 8001.

        You could pick other non conflicting port numbers. I suppose some
        poorly designed user program could have the port numbers hard coded,
        which could force you to make different choices, although I don't know
        of any such examples.

        Good luck Jeff!

        Ron Stordahl, N5IN

        73

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2008

          To: Jeff WA4ZKO

          Jeff when you get the AR Cluster setup and running let me know, I will explain an easy way

          To make RMS communicate with the AGWtoBPQ.EXE as Ron mentioned.

          Mike Melnik

> [...]

          match, using port 8001.

          > 6. Ports on #4 and #5 above can be other port numbers, just as long as
          > they are unique and I can keep track of what is what?

          I have suggested 8000 for AGWtoBPQ.exe and 8001 for AGWPE.exe, but
          these are programmable by the user. AGWtoBPQ.exe and AGWPE.exe do not
          talk to each other directly and in the unlikely case that you run both
          of these on the same machine, they must use different port numbers.
          If you really want to use both, then AGWtoBPQ communicates with BPQ32
          via tcp using port 8000, and BPQ32 communicates with AGWPE.exe via tcp
          using port 8001.

          You could pick other non conflicting port numbers. I suppose some
          poorly designed user program could have the port numbers hard coded,
          which could force you to make different choices, although I don't know

        • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2008
            Good info Ron,

            For some reason I had it stuck in my head that to use AGWtoBPQ then
            you had to have AGWPE running and then AGWtoBPQ ran on top of AGWPE.
            Since RMS packet is going to need AGWtoBPQ, and I wanted the switch
            functions of BPQ32 (otherwise just use only AGWPE), I needed AGWtoBPQ
            and thus thought both were needed. Oops on my part. Yeah, it would be
            dumb to make things more complicated than necessary and add another
            layer to troubleshoot.

            Other than application mask flexibility are there any advantages of
            running ARCluster over one interface or the other (OCX or AGWtoBPQ)?
            One more solid/reliable than the other?

            Strikes me I need to just use the OCX method for AR-Cluster, set DX as
            the first app in BPQ. Then I make RMS the 2nd BPQ app, cfg it for
            AGWtoBPQ using mask of 0x2.

            Tnx for your help (and patience)!

            73
            Jeff