Is there a way to monitor linbpq?

  • Rod
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 21, 2013
      My system took off this morning, banging away and I had no idea what what happening. There way no other signal on the freq at the time. I suppose it was garbaging up the freq. I pulled the pull and rebooted. It seems to be stable right now. It really would have been helpful to have been able to tail a log file to see what was going on.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
        Traffic on ax.25 ports can be monitored using BPQTermTCP. There is a Windows version in the BPQ32 distrubution. PI and 386 Linux versions can be downloaded from

        A fair amount of trace information is written to syslog, but a traffic trace would be a useful addition - maybe someting like axlisten.

        73, John

        My system took off this morning, banging away and I had no idea what what happening. There way no other signal on the freq at the time. I suppose it was garbaging up the freq. I pulled the pull and rebooted. It seems to be stable right now. It really would have been helpful to have been able to tail a log file to see what was going on.

      • nl2prc
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
          Hi John

          Is the TermTCP.c file not missing the Makefile

          73,Ascal

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
            Sorry, I intended to post the link to the binary.

            73, John

            href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/piTermTCP">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/piTermTCP

            href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Rod

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
              Hi John

              The binairy is not worki'n on my RedHat 9 machine

              [root@localhost lin]# ./termtcp
              Floating point exception
              [root@localhost lin]#

              Maybe you can still post the src files for me so i can compile them myself

              73, Ascal

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
                Ascal,

                I'm away sailing at the moment, so don't have much with me. I think the source I originally posted the link to is the latest. It is a GTK program, so you'll need the gtk libraries I don't have the build script with me, but from memory I think it was just a basic gtk compile.

                73, John

                The binairy is not worki'n on my RedHat 9 machine

                [root@localhost lin]# ./termtcp
                Floating point exception
                [root@localhost lin]#

                Maybe you can still post the src files for me so i can compile them myself

                73, Ascal

                > Sorry, I intended to post the
                link to the binary.

                href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/TermTCP">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/TermTCP

                href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> , "John

                href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/TermTCP.c">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/TermTCP.c

                Sent: 21 June 2013 17:04
                > > To:
                > > Subject: [BPQ32] Is there a
                way to monitor linbpq?

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
                  I've just had a thought.

                  LinBPQ now includes a TNC2 Emulator. So you just need to set up a TNC2 port, attach a terminal program, and enter M ON

                  I use putty as a terminal, but any serial terminal, such as minicom, should do as well.

                  73, John

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
                    Sorry, that is MON ON, not M ON.

                    John

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 22, 2013
                      > I've just had a thought.
                      >
                      > LinBPQ now includes a TNC2 Emulator. So you just need to set up a TNC2
                      > port, attach a terminal program, and enter Mon ON
                      >
                      > See
                      > http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQCFGFile.html##TNCPort
                      > for configuring the TNC Emulator.

                      It looks like the TNC emulator already has a simple KISS option..
                      I'm learning to check before asking...

                      So since the to-do list must be about empty, here's some notes from
                      the aprsisce-cafe where they were chatting about similar inter-program
                      connectivity and the touch tone feature of the Dire Wolf sound card
                      modem. The "simple net KISS" looks useful as a light weight (keep it
                      simple) scheme.

                      73
                      Bill, WA7NWP

                      ---

                      I don’t know if KISS over IP is a new scheme, but I looked around very
                      hard to try and do what I wanted. Wanted something a bit more user
                      friendly. Than com0com. I had a Free IP to com port virtual software
                      handy.
                      On asking John, he had a lot of the code required already to hand and
                      was able to get it going in short order.
                      This had nothing to do with APRSIS32, but I knew there was a TCP/IP
                      option on the KISS setup, so gave it a go and it works fine, so you
                      could connect to a system anywhere in the world.
                      I think KISS over IP is a more flexible approach, in terms that it’s
                      easy to connect anything that ever looked at a TNC.

                      John is now working on Decoding DTMF, for APRStt, and hopefully Lynn
                      will find time to do something with that.
                      Very handy for SAR and EMA where you can get any Amateur with a
                      capable radio to join in.

                      All the hard work of course is done by people like Lynn and John, I
                      just come up with ideas and research things a bit.
                      Sometimes the ideas are good other times bad.
                      But I do hope that I have helped make both bits of software what they
                      are today. I think if I can support people like Lynn and John, in some
                      small way, it’s some payback for the time and effort they put in to
                      giving us the software we use.
                      The other interesting project is of Course the RDF system being
                      developed by another amateur which hopefully will integrate with
                      APRSIS32.
                      All in all this is progressing into a very advanced APRS system, which
                      I don’t think will be bettered for some time to come, if at all.

                      Big thank you to all involved

                      Steve Daniels
                      Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM
                      Torbay Freecycle Owner