Re: [BPQ32] KISS option for PK232

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
      I think the olly manufacturer was Kantronics to add the extended commands Paccomm and the original true TNC 2 devices can use the bpq kiss roms; if you do that at 9600 baus it would be a good course to change a few parameters in Johns kiss commands so that they are a bit more agressive at 9k6

      Jim wu3v

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
        It isn't obvious from that what Extended KISS on its own does. Unless the manual has more info the safest would be to use KISS standard, and no KISSOPTIONS in the BPQ config.

        73, John

        option the PK232 supports, but the main ones are

        > POLLED - the
        TNC only sends to the PC when requested (polled) by the
        > PC.
        > This
        is needed to prevent collisons when connecting more than one TNC to a

        serial port ("Multidropped KISS"). Is is not needed and will cause slight
        > delays if you only have one TNC on the port.

        CHECKSUM - adds a checksum byte to the KISS frame, to help detect corrupt
        > frames. It is normally used with Multidrop, but could be an
        advantage if
        > running very long RS232 leads between the TNC and
        PC.

        > ACKMODE. With a normal KISS TNC, the PC doesnt know when a
        frame has been
        > transmitted (it could, for example, be delayed if the
        channed is busy), so
        > it starts the FRACK timer when it sends the frame
        to the TNC. With
        > ACKMODE,
        > the TNC sends a message back to the
        TNC when it has transmitted a frame,
        > and
        > the FRACK timer starts
        at that point. This can significantly improve
        > performance, and I'd
        recommend using in on any TNC that supports it. If
        > you
        > configure
        ACKMODE in BPQ and the TNC doesn't support it, you will get a

        very
        > long retry interval (about a minute).

        [BPQ32] KISS option for PK232

        > Once in a
        while I actually read the manual when doing things. Today I wa
        > reading
        my 25+ year old manual for the PK232 and discovered that G8BPQ is

        mentioned in the kiss section. It explains that the KISS options were

        expanded to support the G8BPQ multi-drop protocol (whatever that means...)

        > When I set up both of my PK232s for packet operation
        on the node I simply
        > issued the KISS ON command. Is there any reason to
        use the extended kiss
        > options? If so, which one?

        Thanks
        > Mark