KISS option for PK232

  • n5mdt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
      Once in a while I actually read the manual when doing things. Today I wa reading my 25+ year old manual for the PK232 and discovered that G8BPQ is mentioned in the kiss section. It explains that the KISS options were expanded to support the G8BPQ multi-drop protocol (whatever that means...)

      When I set up both of my PK232s for packet operation on the node I simply issued the KISS ON command. Is there any reason to use the extended kiss options? If so, which one?

      Thanks
      Mark
      N5MDT
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
        Mark,

        I'm not sure which option the PK232 supports, but the main ones are

        POLLED    - the TNC only sends to the PC when requested (polled) by the PC. This is needed to prevent collisons when connecting more than one TNC to a serial port ("Multidropped KISS"). Is is not needed and will cause slight delays if you only have one TNC on the port.

        CHECKSUM - adds a checksum byte to the KISS frame, to help detect corrupt frames. It is normally used with Multidrop, but could be an advantage if running very long RS232 leads between the TNC and PC.

        ACKMODE. With a normal KISS TNC, the PC doesnt know when a frame has been transmitted (it could, for example, be delayed if the channed is busy), so it starts the FRACK timer when it sends the frame to the TNC. With ACKMODE, the TNC sends a message back to the TNC when it has transmitted a frame, and the FRACK timer starts at that point. This can significantly improve performance, and I'd recommend using in on any TNC that supports it. If you configure ACKMODE in BPQ and the TNC doesn't support it, you will get a very long retry interval (about a minute).

        73, John

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
          I think the olly manufacturer was Kantronics to add the extended commands Paccomm and the original true TNC 2 devices can use the bpq kiss roms; if you do that at 9600 baus it would be a good course to change a few parameters in Johns kiss commands so that they are a bit more agressive at 9k6

          Jim wu3v

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2013
            It isn't obvious from that what Extended KISS on its own does. Unless the manual has more info the safest would be to use KISS standard, and no KISSOPTIONS in the BPQ config.

            73, John

            option the PK232 supports, but the main ones are

            > POLLED - the
            TNC only sends to the PC when requested (polled) by the
            > PC.
            > This
            is needed to prevent collisons when connecting more than one TNC to a

            serial port ("Multidropped KISS"). Is is not needed and will cause slight
            > delays if you only have one TNC on the port.

            CHECKSUM - adds a checksum byte to the KISS frame, to help detect corrupt
            > frames. It is normally used with Multidrop, but could be an
            advantage if
            > running very long RS232 leads between the TNC and
            PC.

            > ACKMODE. With a normal KISS TNC, the PC doesnt know when a
            frame has been
            > transmitted (it could, for example, be delayed if the
            channed is busy), so
            > it starts the FRACK timer when it sends the frame
            to the TNC. With
            > ACKMODE,
            > the TNC sends a message back to the
            TNC when it has transmitted a frame,
            > and
            > the FRACK timer starts
            at that point. This can significantly improve
            > performance, and I'd
            recommend using in on any TNC that supports it. If
            > you
            > configure
            ACKMODE in BPQ and the TNC doesn't support it, you will get a

            very
            > long retry interval (about a minute).

            [BPQ32] KISS option for PK232

            > Once in a
            while I actually read the manual when doing things. Today I wa
            > reading
            my 25+ year old manual for the PK232 and discovered that G8BPQ is

            mentioned in the kiss section. It explains that the KISS options were

            expanded to support the G8BPQ multi-drop protocol (whatever that means...)

            > When I set up both of my PK232s for packet operation
            on the node I simply
            > issued the KISS ON command. Is there any reason to
            use the extended kiss
            > options? If so, which one?

            Thanks
            > Mark