RE: [BPQ32] Re: Linbpq

    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 14, 2013
      Ascal,

      Have a look in syslog - there should be more information about the error.

       73, John

      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 14, 2013
        Hi John

        The only thing i found in the messages log was this

        Jun 13 22:05:27 localhost LINBPQ[12463]: terminating on SIGTERM
        Jun 13 22:05:51 localhost mheardd[2300]: unknown port 'ax2'

        I also see port ax0 unknown but the port is actif

        ax2 Link encap:AMPR AX.25 HWaddr NL9DHR-13
        inet addr:10.1.1.1 Bcast:10.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
        UP BROADCAST RUNNING MTU:236 Metric:1
        collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
        RX bytes:822499 (803.2 Kb) TX bytes:182654 (178.3 Kb)

        Maybe its becouse of limit of my memory in the pc only 65mb???

        73, Ascal

        > Ascal,
        >
        > Have a look in syslog - there should be more information about the error.
        >
        > 73, John
        >
        > _____

      • John Huggins
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 28, 2016
          John,

          I built a new Linux PC in a rack mount enclosure, followed the "Notes on installing and running LINBPQ" and viola... up and running.  Sure there were a few nits and I'm sure many more to come, but to get something like this on the air in hours is quite remarkable.

          Bravo.

          Thanks.
          John, kx4o

          ps
          My telnet port came under attack from Asia mere seconds after it became live. Yes, just a few seconds after establishing the port, a password dictionary attack commenced. Quite an eye opener. Firewall rules now block most of the world.

        • John Huggins
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 1, 2016
            Anyone know a reason why a config file that correctly establishes aliases in the APPLICATION lines fails to do so when moved to Linux?

            I have the following lines in both the Win and Linux machines...

            APPLICATION 1,BBS,,W4VPN-2,VPNBBS,255
            APPLICATION 2,CHAT,,W4VPN-3,VPNCHT,255

            I can connect via radio to either one using W4VPN. I can connect to VPNBBS only on the Win machine.  I can connect to W4VPN-2 only on the Windows machine.

            I notice the linux version creates the linmail.cfg file upon initial run with the BBSApplNum set to 0.  I changed that to 1 to get BBS to function initially.  Should I also change BBSName and SYSOPCall as well?

            Thanks.

            John

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 2, 2016
              John,

              I strongly discourage editing linmail.cfg by hand. All changes should be
              made through the web management interface.

              The most likely reasons for an application not to work are that ApplNum
              doesn't match the APPLICATION line, or that the number of streams is set to
              zero.

              Not setting BBS Call probably won't stop connnects, but needs to be set for
              the BBS to work properly. You only need to set SYSOP Call if it is different
              from the BBS Call.

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 2, 2016
                On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 3:37 AM, 'John Wiseman' john.wiseman@... [BPQ32] <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                John,

                I strongly discourage editing linmail.cfg by hand. All changes should be
                made through the web management interface.

                I admit doing that at first, but then started over using only the web interface for managing the file.

                The most likely reasons for an application not to work are that ApplNum
                doesn't match the APPLICATION line, or that the number of streams is set to
                zero.

                Note the applications work very well when invoked from the node menu... in this case BBS and CHAT both start up their respective applications. In my case the application numbers match each is set to 10 streams.

                Not setting BBS Call probably won't stop connnects, but needs to be set for
                the BBS to work properly. You only need to set SYSOP Call if it is different
                from the BBS Call.

                Should the "BBS Call" value on the BBS setup be the primary BBS call, in our case W4VPN, or the alias setup in the APPLICATION line, in our case W4VPN-1?

                One thing I notice is the BBS web management interface will not accept the SSID portion of the call.

                In summary, the APPLICATION lines are properly allowing a user to get to either BBS or CHAT from the node menu very well, but the SSID calls and aliases for direct access to the applications simply don't respond from the radio side.

                Thanks for any help.

                ______________________________ __________

                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 2, 2016
                  John,

                  The Call used by the BBS internally and set in the config screen "BBS Call"
                  box can't have an SSID. The call used to access it, from the APPLICATION
                  line can. though I prefer to use the base call for both.

                  One minor point - you say in your message that the BBS Application Callsign
                  is W4VPN-1, but in the APPLICATION line you have W4VPN-2

                  What happens when to try to connect to the application call or alias from
                  the Node command line, rather than entering the application name, eg

                  C W4VPN-2 instead of BBS, or C W4VPN-3 instead of CHAT?

                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 2, 2016
                    On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 7:55 AM, 'John Wiseman' john.wiseman@... [BPQ32] <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    John,

                    The Call used by the BBS internally and set in the config screen "BBS Call"
                    box can't have an SSID. The call used to access it, from the APPLICATION
                    line can. though I prefer to use the base call for both.

                    One minor point - you say in your message that the BBS Application Callsign
                    is W4VPN-1, but in the APPLICATION line you have W4VPN-2

                    Mistake in my message to the board.  I did mean -2.

                    What happens when to try to connect to the application call or alias from
                    the Node command line, rather than entering the application name, eg

                    C W4VPN-2 instead of BBS, or C W4VPN-3 instead of CHAT?

                    I telnetted in to the node and tried both of the above.  C W4VPN-2 connects me with the BBS and C W4VPN-3 connects me with CHAT.

                    I am still in the prototype phase of things so I am going to take a moment to clean up the config file, it's not as tidy as I would like, and then start afresh.

                    Many thanks for your attention John... I really appreciate it.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 2, 2016
                      John,

                      If that works, then the application callsigns must be set up correctly. so I
                      don't understand why RF connects don't work. Perhaps if you send me your
                      full config I may spot something.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 2, 2016
                        John,

                        Here are more details from the latest tests, but first some items from the bpq32.cfg file...

                        At the very top of the bpq32 file are these three lines...

                        LOCATOR=FM18
                        NODECALL=W4VPN
                        NODEALIAS=VAPN

                        ...and at the bottom after the last PORT specification...

                        ENDPORT

                        APPLICATION 1,BBS,,W4VPN-2,VPNBBS,255
                        APPLICATION 2,CHAT,,W4VPN-3,VPNCHT,255

                        For completeness, a copy of the entire config file is viewable here...

                          http://www.hamradio.me/graphs/vapn/bpq32.cfg

                        The tests:

                        From a separate computer connected to a PK-88 and 2m radio I observe the following...
                        • "c vapn" - I cannot connect to VAPN
                        • "c w4vpn-2" - I cannot connect to W4VPN-2
                        • "c w4vpn-3" - I cannot connect to W4VPN-3
                        • "c w4vpn" - I can connect to W4VPN

                        Once connected and at the Node prompt I have the following observations...

                        • "c w4vpn-2" - Connects me to the BBS application
                        • "c vpnbbs" - Connects me to the BBS application
                        • "c w4vpn-3" - Connects me to the CHAT application
                        • "c vpncht" - Connects me to the CHAT application

                        The above four observations are true when I telnet in as well.

                        It seems the application aliases are functioning to some degree.  I just cannot use them on the radio port.  The VAPN NODEALIAS is ignored as well.

                        All this seems to work quite well when run with the Windows version of BPQ.  This issue is, thus far, unique to the Linux version.  The Linux system is a fresh install of Ubuntu 13.10.

                        Sincerely,
                        John

                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 2, 2016
                          Ok, John.

                          I didn't realise you are using a Tracker. That can only respond to one call
                          (unless you run it in KISS mode). It can't respond to your Application
                          Callsigns.

                          Are you sure the same config worked on Windows?

                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 2, 2016
                            On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 10:06 AM, 'John Wiseman' john.wiseman@... [BPQ32] <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            Ok, John.

                            I didn't realise you are using a Tracker. That can only respond to one call
                            (unless you run it in KISS mode). It can't respond to your Application
                            Callsigns.

                            Alrighty then.

                            Well now I have to trade the relative merits of operating the TNC in usermode vs. the merits of alias access. I think you said there were some timing/performance advantages in letting the TNC handle the connections so I am inclined to lean that way.  I need to figure out how to get Outpost to the BBS.  If I can do that, things will be swell.

                            Are you sure the same config worked on Windows?

                            I thought so, but that may be memory of my successful testing of BPQ with Direwolf KISS quite a while ago (months). So much has happened since then I probably lost track.

                            ______________________________ __________
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 2, 2016
                              Ok, John.

                              If Outpost supports a connect script it should be possible to connect to the
                              node then to the BBS.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 28, 2017

                                  I did revert to .40 and all is well.. So no rush. 73 jerry

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 28, 2017
                                    Jerry,

                                    I'm using a new machine and copied over the wrong makefile. I've rebuilt it and uploaded again.

                                    Thanks,
                                    John

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 28, 2017

                                      Hi John,,, Ok That was fast!... Thanks Jerry

                                      Ps two more scs trackers to come on line this weekend!  That will be 5 in all two for VHF and three total now on HF.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 28, 2017

                                        John.. All is well.. Thanks for the quick fix.. 73 jerry