RE: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32

    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008
      Rick,

      1 - AGWtoBPQ replaces AGWPE. It uses the BPQ32 kernel in the same way as any other BPQ32 application.

      2 - I've only implemented the AGWPE functions needed to support applications that I've been asked to support . The Ports request is identical, it will reply to bytes outstanding, but without very useful values, it does not support Login.

      I think others have already helped you with 3.

      I gather some uses have made RMS work with AGWtoBPQ, and I am happy to add additional featues to AGWtoBPQ, However I would prefer new applications to talk directly to the BPQ32 API rather than using emulations of other interfaces. The API documention, along with sample programs, is available at www.g8bpq.org.uk. There are both C and Visual Basic samples, but the latter are VB4. I did convert a number of my VB programs to VB2005, but I didn't like the complication of the interface between managed and unmanaged code, so I rewrote them all in C. I'd be happy to work with you to produce the code needed to provide a BPQ32 interface within RMS.

      73,
      John G8BPQ

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008

        The difference Jerry is without the Remote computer box checked, the selected Port: box/line won’t show the

        Channel number, Port Name and Port Frequency if you try to use the select a Port to configure up/down arrows

        And the box is checked you will see the Selected Port information, RMS does work ether way but to be honest

        I don’t know what will show up when connected to RMS, Ports, Name etc. I haven’t tried it with out the box checked.

        In Telpac we didn’t have to have the AGWPE.INI in BPQ directory only RMS and PACKLINK MP.

        Mike Melnik

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008

          Rick

          I have sent a BPQCFG.TXT, two PNG’S, AGWPE.INI and brief instructions about a half hour a go.

          To your E-Mail Address.

          Mike Melnik

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008

            John, All,

            Thanks.  I got all the files and will try and digest.  But John’s comments are more to the point. If AGWtoBPQ does not look and operate EXACTLY like AGWPE then some of the features in the RMS menu and operation won’t work (like showing the ports available, checking on the bytes outstanding for flow control, etc).  If that’s the case as John indicated I would rather put in a native BPQ interface mechanism, menu  and driver.  It could present menu info by parsing the BPQ32 cfg file (as RMS currently parses the AGWPE.ini file) making all the options such as BPQ port selection work as they should in RMS.

            With a clean BPQ32 interface it will be easier for the RMS user to set up (no tricks like copying AGWPE.ini files or setting to Remote computer) and it will also be possible for RMS to periodically check for BPQ32 operation and launch if required.

            Let me digest the info and config files you guys sent as well as the BPQ32 API documentation as suggested by John.  It can be any more complex than the AGWPE stuff!

            Thanks again for the feedback,

            Rick KN6KB

            ____________ _________ _________ __

[...]

          • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008
              Mike Melnik wrote:

              > The BPQ Switch allows for many programs, WinPack, FBB to have multiple
              > connections via TNC and the AXIP

              How to force WinPack 6.80 to recognize BPQ32 v. 4.10d that runs
              on the same computer? Actually, when I want to setup WinPack to use BPQ
              as a host mode, it returns "Failed to find the BPQ switch. The BPQ
              support has not been initialised." - although BPQ32 is already running
              on the same Win XP comp.

              Misko YT7MPB
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 20, 2008

                Misko

                I am going to have to leave this question up to John, or someone else that has made it work, I tried it also

                With the same results as you, but I believe you need to use the BPQ1632.DLL in the related files, if I have time

                This morning I will try it again.

                I never have been able to made the BPQTNC2.exe (Null Modem) work ether I am sure I am doing something

                wrong with both programs.

                Sorry I can’t be of any help.

                73.

                Mike Melnik

                Web Site: http://n9pmo.dyndns.org

                > The BPQ Switch allows for many programs, WinPack, FBB to have multiple
                > connections via TNC and the AXIP

                How to force WinPack 6.80 to recognize BPQ32 v. 4.10d that runs
                on the same computer? Actually, when I want to setup WinPack to use BPQ
                as a host mode, it returns "Failed to find the BPQ switch. The BPQ
                support has not been initialised. " - although BPQ32 is already running
                on the same Win XP comp.

                Misko YT7MPB

              • n9lya
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
                  Hi Rick... I am running RMS with AGtoBPQ.. Cn you give me examples
                  of the feaures that may not wok so I can test.. I do not see off hand
                  anything missig.. But I guess maye there maybe... ust curious and
                  also want to help with this... Jerry--- In
                  BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@...> wrote:

                  > John, All,
                  >

                  > Thanks. I got all the files and will try and digest. But John's
                  comments
                  > are more to the point. If AGWtoBPQ does not look and operate
                  EXACTLY like
                  > AGWPE then some of the features in the RMS menu and operation won't
                  work
                  > (like showing the ports available, checking on the bytes
                  outstanding for
                  > flow control, etc). If that's the case as John indicated I would
                  rather put
                  > in a native BPQ interface mechanism, menu and driver. It could
                  present
                  > menu info by parsing the BPQ32 cfg file (as RMS currently parses the
                  > AGWPE.ini file) making all the options such as BPQ port selection
                  work as
                  > they should in RMS.
                  >

                  > With a clean BPQ32 interface it will be easier for the RMS user to
                  set up
                  > (no tricks like copying AGWPE.ini files or setting to Remote
                  computer) and
                  > it will also be possible for RMS to periodically check for BPQ32
                  operation
                  > and launch if required.
                  >

                  > Let me digest the info and config files you guys sent as well as
                  the BPQ32
                  > API documentation as suggested by John. It can be any more complex
                  than the
                  > AGWPE stuff!
                  >

                  > Thanks again for the feedback,
                  >

                  > Rick KN6KB
                  >

                  > _____

                  Behalf Of John
                  > Wiseman
                  > Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:15 PM
                  > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: RE: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32
                  >

                  > Rick,
                  >

                  > 1 - AGWtoBPQ replaces AGWPE. It uses the BPQ32 kernel in the same
                  way as any
                  > other BPQ32 application.
                  >

                  > 2 - I've only implemented the AGWPE functions needed to support
                  applications
                  > that I've been asked to support . The Ports request is identical,
                  it will
                  > reply to bytes outstanding, but without very useful values, it does
                  not
                  > support Login.
                  >

                  > I think others have already helped you with 3.
                  >

                  > I gather some uses have made RMS work with AGWtoBPQ, and I am happy
                  to add
                  > additional featues to AGWtoBPQ, However I would prefer new
                  applications to
                  > talk directly to the BPQ32 API rather than using emulations of other
                  > interfaces. The API documention, along with sample programs, is
                  available at
                  > www.g8bpq.org. <http://www.g8bpq.org.uk> uk. There are both C and
                  Visual
                  > Basic samples, but the latter are VB4. I did convert a number of my
                  VB
                  > programs to VB2005, but I didn't like the complication of the
                  interface
                  > between managed and unmanaged code, so I rewrote them all in C. I'd
                  be happy
                  > to work with you to produce the code needed to provide a BPQ32
                  interface
                  > within RMS.
                  >

                  > 73,
                  >
                  > John G8BPQ

                  Behalf Of Rick
                  > Muething
                  > Sent: 19 June 2008 21:42
                  > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: RE: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32
                  >
                  > Jerry, All
                  >
                  > Thanks for the initial feedback but I am still trying to understand
                  exactly
                  > what BPQ32 does and how it (using AGWtoBPQ) emulates the interface
                  to AGWPE
                  > or PE Pro.
                  >
                  > I have BPQ installed and able to initialize with the default config
                  file.
                  > But before I can modify RMS to better work with BPQ32 I need
                  specific
                  > answers to the following questions:
                  >
                  > 1) Is BPQ used to replace the AGWPE or PE Pro or does it work in
                  conjunction
                  > with AGWPE?
                  >
                  > 2) Does the AGWtoBPQ interface appear to the connecting program
                  EXACTLY like
                  > the AGWPE TCPIP interface? Do all the functions like Ports request,
                  bytes
                  > outstanding request, Login etc work the same or is only a subset of
                  the
                  > AGWPE interface supported? (the RMS code currently relies heavily
                  on some of
                  > these extended commands ....e.g. The RMS menu port information for
                  remote
                  > AGWPE installations is obtained using the Port info request.
                  >
                  > 3) I would like to set up BPQ32 to work with a single KPC3 TNC
                  working off a
                  > single RS232 port and make that work with RMS. Can someone help me
                  with the
                  > configuration file and RMS settings that can make that work?
                  >
                  > Rick KN6KB

                  Behalf
                  > Of
                  > Jerry - N9LYA
                  > Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:59 PM
                  > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com
                  > Cc: 'kn6kb'
                  > Subject: RE: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32
                  >
                  > Hi Rick. I have only been using BPQ for just under a year at best.
                  I ran
                  > an older version back in the late 90's..
                  >
                  > I do have RMS and BPQ32 running here at my place. No apparent
                  problems
                  > at all.. at this time..
                  >
                  > I will send you off list my bpqcfg.txt file..
                  >
                  > I may be able to allow u access via a remote client to my station
                  so you
                  > can look around.
                  >
                  > Just let me know if you would like to do so..
                  >
                  > 73 Jerry N9LYA
                  >
                  > ________________________________
                  >
                  > From: BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com
                  > [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com] On
                  Behalf
                  > Of
                  > kn6kb
                  > Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:13 PM
                  > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com
                  > Subject: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32
                  >
                  > I am one of the developers of Winlink 2000 and the RMS server
                  programs
                  > and Paclink MP Client program. I want to better understand how
                  BPQ32 is
                  > used so I can update the programs to better support BPQ32. Can
                  someone
                  > help with some basic answers?
                  >
                  > 1) Can BPQ be used to replace the AGWPE or PE Pro? If I understand
                  the
                  > documentation correctly the AGWtoBPQ module will alow interfacing
                  > BPQ32 an make it appear a AGWPE. If that is correct are the other
                  > support functions of AGWPE (e.g. Version request, Login, bytes
                  > outstanding request etc) all work as they do in AGWPE?
                  >
                  > 2) Can someone familiar with RMS Packet give me a suggestion on how
                  > setup BPQ32 and RMS Packet to use BPQ32. I'll try and make this
                  easier
                  > for the user and document it in the RMS help files.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Rick Muething KN6KB
                  > Winlink Development Team

                  > Checked by AVG.