Re: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32

  • Jim WU3V AAM8AMT
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008
      > Jerry, All
      >
      > Thanks for the initial feedback but I am still trying to understand
      > exactly
      > what BPQ32 does and how it (using AGWtoBPQ) emulates the interface to
      > AGWPE
      > or PE Pro.
      >
      > I have BPQ installed and able to initialize with the default config file.
      > But before I can modify RMS to better work with BPQ32 I need specific
      > answers to the following questions:
      >
      > 1) Is BPQ used to replace the AGWPE or PE Pro or does it work in
      > conjunction
      > with AGWPE?

      Rick BPQ32 is a networking package and now has an AGW front end that makes
      it appear as AGW.
      BPQ supports Netrom AXIP AXUDP networking and can also allow access to
      multiple applications running on hte computer.
      A dx cluster, BBS etc. BPQ will handle the tasks and the tnc is in kiss mode
      acting as a radio modem..

      > 2) Does the AGWtoBPQ interface appear to the connecting program EXACTLY
      > like
      > the AGWPE TCPIP interface? Do all the functions like Ports request, bytes
      > outstanding request, Login etc work the same or is only a subset of the
      > AGWPE interface supported? (the RMS code currently relies heavily on some
      > of
      > these extended commands ....e.g. The RMS menu port information for remote
      > AGWPE installations is obtained using the Port info request.
      >
      > 3) I would like to set up BPQ32 to work with a single KPC3 TNC working off
      > single RS232 port and make that work with RMS. Can someone help me with
      > the
      > configuration file and RMS settings that can make that work?

      I can send you my bpqcfg.txt file.

      Jim WU3V
    • Rick Muething
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008

        Jerry,

        I’ll be using a KPC3 (not 3+) on Com 1 at 9600 baud serial for a 1200 baud (radio) packet channel but I can easily edit your cfg file for those kinds of details.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008

          Hi Rick.. I sent 7 messages to u…  Some files and Screen shots…

          Let me know if any do not come thru.. They were sent directly from my RMS PC..

          Files

          BPQCFG.TXT

          AGWPE.INI

          A Screen shot of AGWtoBPQ Showing config window.. (I was not sure what to set the Mack to for 1 Application APPL.2

          Maybe someone can help here..

          A Screen shot of Both RMS Settings Screen Properties and TNC settings

          A Screen Shot of by basic screen showing some open windows and their activity. Probably superfluous.

          I hope they help…

          73 jerry n9lya

          Again I am no expert with BPQ or AGW. Have had a lot of help…  But I think I might have been able to do this..

          ____________ _________ _________ __

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008

            Rick

            Give me about a half hour, I will write a BPQCFG.TXT and send some PNG’S of how my RMS looks,

            BPQ is a Node/Switch, used for BBS Programs that do not have or support a Network Node, one example would be

            All of the FBB Series BBS Programs, if you go back 5-10 years a go the Full Service Multi, User, Port and Function

            Known as MSYS had the Network Node built in, to this day I still feel MSYS is the Best BBS Program around.

            The BPQ Switch allows for many programs, WinPack, FBB to have multiple connections via TNC and the AXIP

            Network (Internet) If one needed to use a sound card, AGWPE could be added on one or more ports and still

            Use TNC’S for the other ports, BPQ supports Kiss and JKiss protocol as used in MFJ TNC’S with or without Kiss Rom.

            Multiple port TNC’S are supported as well.

            The AGWtoBPQ.EXE is used for Programs that do not have the BPQ option but only TNC, or AGWPE, it tricks the

            Program needing AGWPE think it is in fact communicating with AGWPE or PRO, Many BBS’S like mine running

            WFBB 7.00E needs a Net Work Node system with out BPQ or XRouter etc. FBB would be limited to RF (TNC’S)

            Or Telnet connections one would not be able to make node connections, with AXIP this is unlimited coverage,

            Inside and outside of the US.

            Here is were the AGWtoBPQ.EXE comes into place, as mentioned before many BBS Stations also run ether

            Telpac, RMS and/or Packlink MP, with the use of the AGWtoBPQ.EXE and BPQ Switch any RF, or AXIP Node

            Would be able to access in this case RMS, from any amount or ports available in BPQ, in my case I have

            3 1200Baud Ports 1 9600Baud port and several UDP AXIP Ports, so at the same time one station can connect

            to my RMS Server, and several other Stations can be connected to my BBS via RF, Telnet or the AXIP Network node.

            Now I think where you may be a bit confused, only because so far the topic has been about the AGWtoBPQ.EXE,

            Again going back to the real purpose of BPQ being the (Interface between TNC’S, AXIP Network (UDP Internet)

            And one of the several BBS Programs) if one wasn’t using a program that needed AGWPE or Pro, the AGWtoBPQ.EXE

            Wouldn’t be used, the BPQ32.EXE would only have to be used to full fill the use of a Network Node System.

            So the answer to your questions:

            The AGWtoBPQ.EXE replaces the AGWPE or Pro, AGWPE is not needed, just one less program not needed to be run.

            The AGWtoBPQ.EXE work similar to AGWPE, communication like AGWPE is local host and selected TCP Port

            Using a copy of an AGWPE.INI in the BPQ32 Directory but AGWPE doesn’t have to be installed or used, but I have

            Found the only way the selected ports, (Same ports as allocated in BPQCFG.TXT) in RMS will show is using a copy

            Of a AGWPE.INI and Use AGW Packet Engine on Remote Computer needs to be checked, even if all is installed on the

            Same computer. In my RMS I have 3 out of 5 Ports and Beacons selected.

            As for the Login/Refresh AGW I have tried a pass word in the BPQ setup.

            I hope this helps and I didn’t confuse you even more, please send me a E-Mail, so I have your Address to send the BPQCFG.TXT

            And others to

            Mike Melnik

            mmelnik1@...

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008

              Hi Mike..

              I do not want to confuse Rick…Pardon me Rick.. I just have a question for Mike..

               But I have a question about the bold statement below..

              I have the AGWPE.ini and I do not have this check box checked…

              How does it work and what goes in the boxes. I have never used that in mine??? It remains deselected and grayed out???

              Thanks guys..

              73 jerry n9lya

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008
                Rick,

                1 - AGWtoBPQ replaces AGWPE. It uses the BPQ32 kernel in the same way as any other BPQ32 application.

                2 - I've only implemented the AGWPE functions needed to support applications that I've been asked to support . The Ports request is identical, it will reply to bytes outstanding, but without very useful values, it does not support Login.

                I think others have already helped you with 3.

                I gather some uses have made RMS work with AGWtoBPQ, and I am happy to add additional featues to AGWtoBPQ, However I would prefer new applications to talk directly to the BPQ32 API rather than using emulations of other interfaces. The API documention, along with sample programs, is available at www.g8bpq.org.uk. There are both C and Visual Basic samples, but the latter are VB4. I did convert a number of my VB programs to VB2005, but I didn't like the complication of the interface between managed and unmanaged code, so I rewrote them all in C. I'd be happy to work with you to produce the code needed to provide a BPQ32 interface within RMS.

                73,
                John G8BPQ

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008

                  The difference Jerry is without the Remote computer box checked, the selected Port: box/line won’t show the

                  Channel number, Port Name and Port Frequency if you try to use the select a Port to configure up/down arrows

                  And the box is checked you will see the Selected Port information, RMS does work ether way but to be honest

                  I don’t know what will show up when connected to RMS, Ports, Name etc. I haven’t tried it with out the box checked.

                  In Telpac we didn’t have to have the AGWPE.INI in BPQ directory only RMS and PACKLINK MP.

                  Mike Melnik

                  Thanks for the initial feedback but I am still trying to understand exactly
                  what BPQ32 does and how it (using AGWtoBPQ) emulates th

                  (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008

                    Rick

                    I have sent a BPQCFG.TXT, two PNG’S, AGWPE.INI and brief instructions about a half hour a go.

                    To your E-Mail Address.

                    Mike Melnik

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008

                      John, All,

                      Thanks.  I got all the files and will try and digest.  But John’s comments are more to the point. If AGWtoBPQ does not look and operate EXACTLY like AGWPE then some of the features in the RMS menu and operation won’t work (like showing the ports available, checking on the bytes outstanding for flow control, etc).  If that’s the case as John indicated I would rather put in a native BPQ interface mechanism, menu  and driver.  It could present menu info by parsing the BPQ32 cfg file (as RMS currently parses the AGWPE.ini file) making all the options such as BPQ port selection work as they should in RMS.

                      With a clean BPQ32 interface it will be easier for the RMS user to set up (no tricks like copying AGWPE.ini files or setting to Remote computer) and it will also be possible for RMS to periodically check for BPQ32 operation and launch if required.

                      Let me digest the info and config files you guys sent as well as the BPQ32 API documentation as suggested by John.  It can be any more complex than the AGWPE stuff!

                      Thanks again for the feedback,

                      Rick KN6KB

[...]

                    • Miroslav Skoric (YT7MPB)
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 19, 2008
                        Mike Melnik wrote:

                        > The BPQ Switch allows for many programs, WinPack, FBB to have multiple
                        > connections via TNC and the AXIP

                        How to force WinPack 6.80 to recognize BPQ32 v. 4.10d that runs
                        on the same computer? Actually, when I want to setup WinPack to use BPQ
                        as a host mode, it returns "Failed to find the BPQ switch. The BPQ
                        support has not been initialised." - although BPQ32 is already running
                        on the same Win XP comp.

                        Misko YT7MPB
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 20, 2008

                          Misko

                          I am going to have to leave this question up to John, or someone else that has made it work, I tried it also

                          With the same results as you, but I believe you need to use the BPQ1632.DLL in the related files, if I have time

                          This morning I will try it again.

                          I never have been able to made the BPQTNC2.exe (Null Modem) work ether I am sure I am doing something

                          wrong with both programs.

                          Sorry I can’t be of any help.

                          73.

                          Mike Melnik

                          Web Site: http://n9pmo.dyndns.org

                          > The BPQ Switch allows for many programs, WinPack, FBB to have multiple
                          > connections via TNC and the AXIP

                          How to force WinPack 6.80 to recognize BPQ32 v. 4.10d that runs
                          on the same computer? Actually, when I want to setup WinPack to use BPQ
                          as a host mode, it returns "Failed to find the BPQ switch. The BPQ
                          support has not been initialised. " - although BPQ32 is already running
                          on the same Win XP comp.

                          Misko YT7MPB

                        • n9lya
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 28, 2008
                            Hi Rick... I am running RMS with AGtoBPQ.. Cn you give me examples
                            of the feaures that may not wok so I can test.. I do not see off hand
                            anything missig.. But I guess maye there maybe... ust curious and
                            also want to help with this... Jerry--- In
                            BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@...> wrote:

                            > John, All,
                            >

                            > Thanks. I got all the files and will try and digest. But John's
                            comments
                            > are more to the point. If AGWtoBPQ does not look and operate
                            EXACTLY like
                            > AGWPE then some of the features in the RMS menu and operation won't
                            work
                            > (like showing the ports available, checking on the bytes
                            outstanding for
                            > flow control, etc). If that's the case as John indicated I would
                            rather put
                            > in a native BPQ interface mechanism, menu and driver. It could
                            present
                            > menu info by parsing the BPQ32 cfg file (as RMS currently parses the
                            > AGWPE.ini file) making all the options such as BPQ port selection
                            work as
                            > they should in RMS.
                            >

                            > With a clean BPQ32 interface it will be easier for the RMS user to
                            set up
                            > (no tricks like copying AGWPE.ini files or setting to Remote
                            computer) and
                            > it will also be possible for RMS to periodically check for BPQ32
                            operation
                            > and launch if required.
                            >

                            > Let me digest the info and config files you guys sent as well as
                            the BPQ32
                            > API documentation as suggested by John. It can be any more complex
                            than the
                            > AGWPE stuff!
                            >

                            > Thanks again for the feedback,
                            >

                            > Rick KN6KB
                            >

                            > _____

                            Behalf Of John
                            > Wiseman
                            > Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:15 PM
                            > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: RE: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32
                            >

                            > Rick,
                            >

                            > 1 - AGWtoBPQ replaces AGWPE. It uses the BPQ32 kernel in the same
                            way as any
                            > other BPQ32 application.
                            >

                            > 2 - I've only implemented the AGWPE functions needed to support
                            applications
                            > that I've been asked to support . The Ports request is identical,
                            it will
                            > reply to bytes outstanding, but without very useful values, it does
                            not
                            > support Login.
                            >

                            > I think others have already helped you with 3.
                            >

                            > I gather some uses have made RMS work with AGWtoBPQ, and I am happy
                            to add
                            > additional featues to AGWtoBPQ, However I would prefer new
                            applications to
                            > talk directly to the BPQ32 API rather than using emulations of other
                            > interfaces. The API documention, along with sample programs, is
                            available at
                            > www.g8bpq.org. <http://www.g8bpq.org.uk> uk. There are both C and
                            Visual
                            > Basic samples, but the latter are VB4. I did convert a number of my
                            VB
                            > programs to VB2005, but I didn't like the complication of the
                            interface
                            > between managed and unmanaged code, so I rewrote them all in C. I'd
                            be happy
                            > to work with you to produce the code needed to provide a BPQ32
                            interface
                            > within RMS.
                            >

                            > 73,
                            >
                            > John G8BPQ

                            Behalf Of Rick
                            > Muething
                            > Sent: 19 June 2008 21:42
                            > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: RE: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32
                            >
                            > Jerry, All
                            >
                            > Thanks for the initial feedback but I am still trying to understand
                            exactly
                            > what BPQ32 does and how it (using AGWtoBPQ) emulates the interface
                            to AGWPE
                            > or PE Pro.
                            >
                            > I have BPQ installed and able to initialize with the default config
                            file.
                            > But before I can modify RMS to better work with BPQ32 I need
                            specific
                            > answers to the following questions:
                            >
                            > 1) Is BPQ used to replace the AGWPE or PE Pro or does it work in
                            conjunction
                            > with AGWPE?
                            >
                            > 2) Does the AGWtoBPQ interface appear to the connecting program
                            EXACTLY like
                            > the AGWPE TCPIP interface? Do all the functions like Ports request,
                            bytes
                            > outstanding request, Login etc work the same or is only a subset of
                            the
                            > AGWPE interface supported? (the RMS code currently relies heavily
                            on some of
                            > these extended commands ....e.g. The RMS menu port information for
                            remote
                            > AGWPE installations is obtained using the Port info request.
                            >
                            > 3) I would like to set up BPQ32 to work with a single KPC3 TNC
                            working off a
                            > single RS232 port and make that work with RMS. Can someone help me
                            with the
                            > configuration file and RMS settings that can make that work?
                            >
                            > Rick KN6KB

                            Behalf
                            > Of
                            > Jerry - N9LYA
                            > Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:59 PM
                            > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com
                            > Cc: 'kn6kb'
                            > Subject: RE: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32
                            >
                            > Hi Rick. I have only been using BPQ for just under a year at best.
                            I ran
                            > an older version back in the late 90's..
                            >
                            > I do have RMS and BPQ32 running here at my place. No apparent
                            problems
                            > at all.. at this time..
                            >
                            > I will send you off list my bpqcfg.txt file..
                            >
                            > I may be able to allow u access via a remote client to my station
                            so you
                            > can look around.
                            >
                            > Just let me know if you would like to do so..
                            >
                            > 73 Jerry N9LYA
                            >
                            > ________________________________
                            >
                            > From: BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com
                            > [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com] On
                            Behalf
                            > Of
                            > kn6kb
                            > Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:13 PM
                            > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com> com
                            > Subject: [BPQ32] Newbie with BPQ32
                            >
                            > I am one of the developers of Winlink 2000 and the RMS server
                            programs
                            > and Paclink MP Client program. I want to better understand how
                            BPQ32 is
                            > used so I can update the programs to better support BPQ32. Can
                            someone
                            > help with some basic answers?
                            >
                            > 1) Can BPQ be used to replace the AGWPE or PE Pro? If I understand
                            the
                            > documentation correctly the AGWtoBPQ module will alow interfacing
                            > BPQ32 an make it appear a AGWPE. If that is correct are the other
                            > support functions of AGWPE (e.g. Version request, Login, bytes
                            > outstanding request etc) all work as they do in AGWPE?
                            >
                            > 2) Can someone familiar with RMS Packet give me a suggestion on how
                            > setup BPQ32 and RMS Packet to use BPQ32. I'll try and make this
                            easier
                            > for the user and document it in the RMS help files.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Rick Muething KN6KB
                            > Winlink Development Team

                            > Checked by AVG.