RE: [BPQ32] AXIP port in Win$ XP

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2013
      I'd probably run BPQETHER. The Linux Kernel supports it, and I'm pretty sure jnos does too. But otherwise I normally use UDP as a lot of routers won't pass raw IP frames. But on the same LAN that doesn't matter.

      73, John

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2013
        On 6/4/2013 7:07 PM, John Wiseman wrote:

        > I'd probably run BPQETHER. The Linux Kernel supports it, and I'm pretty sure
        > jnos does too. But otherwise I normally use UDP as a lot of routers won't
        > pass raw IP frames. But on the same LAN that doesn't matter.
        >
        > 73, John

        John, I have experimented with BPQETHER in a mixed Win/Lin LAN and it
        worked well. The only drawback I found was that my LAN stopped to
        provide 'Internet sharing' as soon as I activated a bpq0 port, such as
        by using syntax:

        /sbin/ifconfig bpq0 hw ax25 yt7mpb-15
        /sbin/ifconfig bpq0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

        Any experience with that?

        Misko

        > _____

      • Miroslav Skoric
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
          Hi all,

          After having published some book chapters on packet and assorted stuff
          (see the book titles bellow), I plan to work on the whole book. A rough
          plan is to cover the following topics (but not limited to):

          - Introduction (broad definition, history of the amateur radio hobby,
          personal experience within the area, ...)
          - Background (discussion of previous works - literature review, etc.)
          - Discussion of hardware aspects:
          - ham digital experience with older computers /Commodore 64, PC AT i80286/
          - newer PC compatibles /various Intel and AMD platforms/
          - non-PC solutions such as industrial computers, RaspBerry Pi, ...
          - discussion about packet modems, antennas ...
          - radio mofifications
          - Discussion of software aspects:
          - operating systems used by digital hams
          - proprietary vs. open source solutions, such as Linux and packet
          software for Linux
          - packet radio programs for end-users (all platforms)
          - software for packet nodes based on PC computers and/or modem EPROMs,
          etc.)
          - gateway operations (VHF-HF, packet-pactor, etc.)
          - Discussion of diverse locations for implementing amateur digital radio:
          - home shacks
          - informal scholarly activities with 'ham radio' in computer and/or
          electronics laboratories
          - possibilities in workplaces, etc.
          - practical advices (positioning antennas, power supply, air
          conditioning for computer rooms, various home-brew appliances such as
          using old refrigerators for housing digital equipment, ...)
          - Influence of the amateur (digital) radio hobby to one's preferred
          lifestyle and profession:
          - examples of scientists and researchers who started with 'ham radio'
          in their early career days
          - personal experience (motivated family background, early start with
          'ham radio' some 25 years ago, starting and growing with academic
          writing on that technical activity - magazine articles, conference
          papers, book chapters, half-day tutorials, 1-2 day workshops; networking
          with scholars and researchers during the technical events; exploring new
          countries, cultures, educational systems, etc.)
          - Review of today's prevalent ways in disseminating amateur radio
          instructions:
          - presence/absence in implementation of 'help' sections within the
          packet software packages
          - (in)adequate 'expert' technical language as (not) suitable for beginners
          - mis(use) of informal descriptions followed by improper formatting in
          documents /no APA-style in presenting information, overuse of jargon, etc
          - Displaying experience with exchanging information related to amateur
          radio theory and praxis in conferences, symposiums, seminars, tutorials,
          workshops (incl. various aspects: technical, professional,
          inter-cultural, etc)
          - Amateur radio as a trigger to learn new cultures, new countries,
          tourist aspects such as people, flora and fauna, food, drink, etc ...
          -thankfully to the ham radio (will include personal experience with
          conferencing, as well as travel experience provided by the other
          amateurs (such as traveling to/from contest locations in remote and
          rural areas, research expeditions, etc.
          - Research and development: should include experience provided by
          amateur radio groups and societies (mainly in western countries) that
          have been exploring 'ham radio' alongside their teaching and learning
          activities; a suggested project of AMUNET (the amateur radio university
          network - a vision of the future networking between educational
          institutions on local and global level; the influence and potential
          results from astronauts on spaceships who practiced digital amateur
          radio experiments and conducted correspondence with schools, etc.
          - Inclusion/Convergence with other technologies:
          - Experimenting with various Linux applications, such as librarian
          databases that might be reached and browsed from the amateur packet
          radio network
          - 'Green technologies' - small wind or solar energy plants in
          appropriate locations (one of my last visiting places was one of the
          most Sun-covered area of India where relatively small solar panels could
          provide enough electricity to power 'ham radio' relay stations)
          - Experiments in 'the wild' such as weekend-amateurs who might provide
          temporary radio-relay services from picnic locations in the woods or
          seaside, or something similar.
          - Potentials of amateur radio in unrelated research directions and
          sciences (such as collecting weather related data from remote locations
          like mountain tops, ideas of tracking wild animals /endangered species/
          by using amateur radio digital devices, etc.)
          - Final discussions and conclusions
          - Acknowledgments