KIss mode with PK232

  • 214BONNIE H
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2 12:16 PM
      Would anyone like to make a guess as to why a PK232 works well
      in Host mode, and can join Kiss mode but does not transmit?

      I have an AEA manual but I can't think of a way to check
      Kiss mode. As a result, I am not able to use Packet mode of
      BPQ32.

      FYI, it used to work.

      Thanks,

      de Bruce Harris, W5HCS-1, sysop CMS Gateway, 10,133 MHz.
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2 2:06 PM
        These older tnc's had backup batteries some the the PK232's had AA batteries, and some had button cells.
        Years ago (1990's) I removed the batteries and manually did a kiss on command.
        Also the analogue filters should be realigned every few years the capacitors and other devices drift with age.
        HF is a lot easier with DSP devices (better too) aka less frustrating...

        Jim wu3v

        > Would anyone like to make a guess as to why a PK232 works well
        > in Host mode, and can join Kiss mode but does not transmit?
        >
        > I have an AEA manual but I can't think of a way to check
        > Kiss mode. As a result, I am not able to use Packet mode of
        > BPQ32.
        >
        > FYI, it used to work.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > de Bruce Harris, W5HCS-1, sysop CMS Gateway, 10,133 MHz.

        Bruce, I have only been able to get a PK232 into a valid kiss mode by
        hand. No program that claims to work actually has, for me. I use a dumb
        terminal and simply issue a kiss on command. Then start bpq. Have you
        tried that?

        Mark

      • Mark Taylor
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2 2:09 PM
          > Would anyone like to make a guess as to why a PK232 works well
          > in Host mode, and can join Kiss mode but does not transmit?
          >
          > I have an AEA manual but I can't think of a way to check
          > Kiss mode. As a result, I am not able to use Packet mode of
          > BPQ32.
          >
          > FYI, it used to work.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > de Bruce Harris, W5HCS-1, sysop CMS Gateway, 10,133 MHz.

          Bruce, I have only been able to get a PK232 into a valid kiss mode by
          hand. No program that claims to work actually has, for me. I use a dumb
          terminal and simply issue a kiss on command. Then start bpq. Have you
          tried that?

          Mark
        • Dave

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3 3:49 AM

              I wrote two Perl scripts for Linux to automatically set up my two TNC’s - a PK-232 and a MFJ-1270B TNC  into KISS mode – also the PK-232 is set to HF 300 baud and the MFJ is set to VHF 1200 baud … One needs to just change the $mycall from “ZS0MEE” to “YOURCALL” in each script, also change to your relevant COM ttyS? port(s) … The PC to TNC baudrate is set to 9600, which can be changed if desired .. The PC to TNC COM cable needs 8-wires to communicate – if you don’t use handshaking you could get away with 3-wires in the cable, but in my opinion, I prefer having hard handshaking ..

              The scripts below will figure out the current MFJ-1270B TNC mode and place the TNC into KISS mode and respective baud rate for either HF (PK-232) or VHF (MFJ), if it is not there already …

              There are ‘sleep’ commands throughout each script – this is to allow the TNC’s to respond to each command properly – preferably don’t fiddle with them ..

              The scripts can be run manually from a terminal but best is to start the two scripts from your start-up LinBPQ file …..

              Before running these scripts, run ‘install Device::SerialPort’ from CPAN in a terminal – this module is required for the scripts to work ..

              73, Dick ZS6RO

              Filename = kiss_on_tnc_mfj.pl

              ==========================

              #!/usr/bin/perl

              #

              # /home/linbpq/kiss_on_tnc_mfj.pl

              #

              # Script to figure out the current MFJ-1270B TNC mode and place

              # TNC into VHF 1200 baud and into KISS mode if it is not there.

              #

              # Version 1.0 Dick ZS6RO  21 January 2013.

              use strict;

              use warnings;

              use Device::SerialPort;

              my ($count, $result, $cmdflag);

              my $mycall = "ZS0MEE\r";              # Change to your BBS callsign.

              my $reset = "RESET\r";

              my $kisson = "KISS ON\r";

              my $restart = "RESTART\r";

              my $PortObj=Device::SerialPort->new("/dev/ttyS6");   # Change to relevant ttyS? serial Port.

              # set PC to TNC COM parameters to '9600, 8-bits, no-parity, 1-stop bit' and RTS hard handshake.

              $PortObj->baudrate(9600);

              $PortObj->parity("none");

              $PortObj->databits(8);

              $PortObj->stopbits(1);

              $PortObj->handshake("rts");

              $PortObj->write_settings;

              $PortObj->read_char_time(0);

              $PortObj->read_const_time(100);

              # iterate up to 5 times looking for the command prompt

              # in case there's lots more in the buffer to read out.

              $count = 5;

              $cmdflag = 0;

              while ($count > 0)  {

                $PortObj->write("\r");

                sleep (1);

                $result = $PortObj->read(255);

                print "\n*** $count - Reading TNC Data...\n";

                if ($result =~ m/cmd:/)  {

                  $cmdflag = 1;

                  $count = 0;

                } else {

                  print "*** $count - First try and reset the TNC if in command mode.\n";

                  $PortObj->write($reset);

                  sleep(1);

                  $count = $count - 1;

                }

              }

              if ($cmdflag == 1)  {

                print "\n*** OK - got the cmd prompt.\n\n";

              } else {

                #  check again and see if we can get command mode responses.

                print "\n*** Try and reset the TNC once again if in command mode.\n\n";

                $PortObj->write($reset);

                sleep(1);

                $PortObj->write("\r");

                sleep(1);

                $count = 5;

                while ($count > 0)  {

                  # send commands to take TNC out of KISS MODE - at this point we don't know for sure

                  # if its in KISS mode or not, but we know we're not getting expected responses for

                  # normal command mode, so this will take it out of KISS if it's in that mode.

                  print "*** No command prompt - sending commands to\n*** exit KISS mode in case that's the reason.\n\n";

                  $PortObj->write(chr(192));

                  $PortObj->write(chr(255));

                  $PortObj->write(chr(192));

                  sleep(1);

                  $PortObj->write("\r");

                  sleep(1);

                  $result = $PortObj->read(255);

                  sleep(1);

                  print "*** $count - Reading TNC data after sending commands to exit KISS mode...\n";

                  print "$result\n";

                  if ($result =~ m/cmd:/)  {

                    $cmdflag = 2;

                    $count = 0;

                    print "\n*** OK, got expected command prompt.\n\n";

                  } else {

                    $count = $count - 1;

                  }

                }

              }

              if ($cmdflag == 0)  {

                print "\n*** Was not able to communicate with TNC.\n\n";

              }

              if ($cmdflag > 0)  {

                print "*** Place TNC into KISS mode. Please wait .....\n\n";

                # if there is a command prompt, put the TNC in KISS mode.

                $PortObj->write($kisson);

                sleep(1);

                $result = $PortObj->read(255);

                print "$result\n";

                $PortObj->write($restart);

                sleep(1);

                $result = $PortObj->read(255);

                print "$result\n";

                print "\n*** TNC is now in KISS mode.\n\n";

              }

              $PortObj->close;

              exit 0;

              # -- End of script.

              #

              Filename= kiss_on_tnc_pk232.pl

              ===========================

              #!/usr/bin/perl

              #

              # /home/linbpq/kiss_on_tnc_pk232.pl

              #

              # Script to figure out the current MFJ-1270B TNC mode and place

              # into HF 300 baud and KISS mode if it is not there.

              #

              # Version 1.0 Dick ZS6RO  21 January 2013.

              use strict;

              use warnings;

              use Device::SerialPort;

              my ($count, $result, $cmdflag);

              my $reset = "RESET\r";

              my $mycall = "ZS0MEE\r";             # Change to your BBS callsign.

              my $hb300 = "HB 300\r";

              my $vhfoff = "VHF OFF\r";

              my $restart = "RESTART\r";

              my $conmodetrans = "CONM TRANS\r";

              my $rawhon = "RAWH ON\r";

              my $hpolloff = "HPOLL OFF\r";

              my $kisson = "KISS ON\r";

              my $hoston = "HOST ON\r";

              my $PortObj=Device::SerialPort->new("/dev/ttyS7");  # Change to relevant ttyS? serial Port.

[...]

                  print "*** First try and reset the TNC if in command mode.\n";

                  $PortObj->write($reset);

                  sleep(1);

                  $count = $count - 1;

                }

              }

              # print "cmdflag = $cmdflag\n\n";

              if ($cmdflag == 1)  {

                print "\n*** OK - got the cmd prompt.\n\n";

              } else {

                #  check again and see if we can get command mode reponses.

                print "\n*** Try and reset the TNC once more if in command mode.\n\n";

                $PortObj->write($reset);

                sleep(1);

                $PortObj->write("\r");

                sleep(1);

                $count = 5;

                print "\n";

[...]

                print "*** Place TNC into KISS mode.\n\n";

                # if there is a command prompt, put the TNC in KISS mode.

                $PortObj->write($mycall);

                sleep(1);

                $PortObj->write($hb300);

                sleep(1);

                $PortObj->write($vhfoff);

                sleep(1);

                $PortObj->write($restart);

                sleep(3);

                $PortObj->write($conmodetrans);

                sleep(1);

                $PortObj->write($rawhon);

                sleep(1);

                $PortObj->write($hpolloff);

                sleep(1);

                $PortObj->write($kisson);

                sleep(1);

                $PortObj->write($hoston);

                sleep(1);

                $result = $PortObj->read(255);

                print "$result\n";

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4 4:51 AM
                Hi

                one remark
                You have to open CPAN first with command ( perl -MCPAN -e shell )

                Before you can give command ( install Device::SerialPort )

                Maybe its also better that you make this files in a attachment

                When i made a copy there are a lot of ^M in the file's

                73, ascal