AXIP port in Win$ XP

  • Miroslav Skoric
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2013
      Hi all,

      The other day I upgraded to v. 6.0.1.1 and noticed that in Win$ XP it
      does not initialize AXIP port(s) if a user is not Win$ administrator. If
      he/she is admin, than it loads ok. (The returned error is: Bind Failed
      for RAW socket - error code = 10013)

      Any solution?

      Misko
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2013
        Misko,

        If you are using AX/IP (IP protocol 93) as opposed to AX/UDP then you need admistrator rights to open the socket. If you aren't, then it is probably a bug.

        I'm suprised this has changed  - what version were you running before?

        73, John

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2013
          On 6/2/2013 6:48 PM, John Wiseman wrote:
          > Misko,
          >
          > If you are using AX/IP (IP protocol 93) as opposed to AX/UDP then you need
          > admistrator rights to open the socket. If you aren't, then it is probably a
          > bug.
          >
          > I'm suprised this has changed - what version were you running before?
          >
          > 73, John

          John, it was version 5.2.9.1, but probably I also tried to switch from
          AXIP to AXUDP when trying to link the box to the other comp in the LAN
          that run Linux/JNOS. Btw, what is better in that case, AXIP or AXUDP?

          Misko
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2013
            I'd probably run BPQETHER. The Linux Kernel supports it, and I'm pretty sure jnos does too. But otherwise I normally use UDP as a lot of routers won't pass raw IP frames. But on the same LAN that doesn't matter.

            73, John

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2013
              On 6/4/2013 7:07 PM, John Wiseman wrote:

              > I'd probably run BPQETHER. The Linux Kernel supports it, and I'm pretty sure
              > jnos does too. But otherwise I normally use UDP as a lot of routers won't
              > pass raw IP frames. But on the same LAN that doesn't matter.
              >
              > 73, John

              John, I have experimented with BPQETHER in a mixed Win/Lin LAN and it
              worked well. The only drawback I found was that my LAN stopped to
              provide 'Internet sharing' as soon as I activated a bpq0 port, such as
              by using syntax:

              /sbin/ifconfig bpq0 hw ax25 yt7mpb-15
              /sbin/ifconfig bpq0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

              Any experience with that?

              Misko

              > _____

            • Miroslav Skoric
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
                Hi all,

                After having published some book chapters on packet and assorted stuff
                (see the book titles bellow), I plan to work on the whole book. A rough
                plan is to cover the following topics (but not limited to):

                - Introduction (broad definition, history of the amateur radio hobby,
                personal experience within the area, ...)
                - Background (discussion of previous works - literature review, etc.)
                - Discussion of hardware aspects:
                - ham digital experience with older computers /Commodore 64, PC AT i80286/
                - newer PC compatibles /various Intel and AMD platforms/
                - non-PC solutions such as industrial computers, RaspBerry Pi, ...
                - discussion about packet modems, antennas ...
                - radio mofifications
                - Discussion of software aspects:
                - operating systems used by digital hams
                - proprietary vs. open source solutions, such as Linux and packet
                software for Linux
                - packet radio programs for end-users (all platforms)
                - software for packet nodes based on PC computers and/or modem EPROMs,
                etc.)
                - gateway operations (VHF-HF, packet-pactor, etc.)
                - Discussion of diverse locations for implementing amateur digital radio:
                - home shacks
                - informal scholarly activities with 'ham radio' in computer and/or
                electronics laboratories
                - possibilities in workplaces, etc.
                - practical advices (positioning antennas, power supply, air
                conditioning for computer rooms, various home-brew appliances such as
                using old refrigerators for housing digital equipment, ...)
                - Influence of the amateur (digital) radio hobby to one's preferred
                lifestyle and profession:
                - examples of scientists and researchers who started with 'ham radio'
                in their early career days
                - personal experience (motivated family background, early start with
                'ham radio' some 25 years ago, starting and growing with academic
                writing on that technical activity - magazine articles, conference
                papers, book chapters, half-day tutorials, 1-2 day workshops; networking
                with scholars and researchers during the technical events; exploring new
                countries, cultures, educational systems, etc.)
                - Review of today's prevalent ways in disseminating amateur radio
                instructions:
                - presence/absence in implementation of 'help' sections within the
                packet software packages
                - (in)adequate 'expert' technical language as (not) suitable for beginners
                - mis(use) of informal descriptions followed by improper formatting in
                documents /no APA-style in presenting information, overuse of jargon, etc
                - Displaying experience with exchanging information related to amateur
                radio theory and praxis in conferences, symposiums, seminars, tutorials,
                workshops (incl. various aspects: technical, professional,
                inter-cultural, etc)
                - Amateur radio as a trigger to learn new cultures, new countries,
                tourist aspects such as people, flora and fauna, food, drink, etc ...
                -thankfully to the ham radio (will include personal experience with
                conferencing, as well as travel experience provided by the other
                amateurs (such as traveling to/from contest locations in remote and
                rural areas, research expeditions, etc.
                - Research and development: should include experience provided by
                amateur radio groups and societies (mainly in western countries) that
                have been exploring 'ham radio' alongside their teaching and learning
                activities; a suggested project of AMUNET (the amateur radio university
                network - a vision of the future networking between educational
                institutions on local and global level; the influence and potential
                results from astronauts on spaceships who practiced digital amateur
                radio experiments and conducted correspondence with schools, etc.
                - Inclusion/Convergence with other technologies:
                - Experimenting with various Linux applications, such as librarian
                databases that might be reached and browsed from the amateur packet
                radio network
                - 'Green technologies' - small wind or solar energy plants in
                appropriate locations (one of my last visiting places was one of the
                most Sun-covered area of India where relatively small solar panels could
                provide enough electricity to power 'ham radio' relay stations)
                - Experiments in 'the wild' such as weekend-amateurs who might provide
                temporary radio-relay services from picnic locations in the woods or
                seaside, or something similar.
                - Potentials of amateur radio in unrelated research directions and
                sciences (such as collecting weather related data from remote locations
                like mountain tops, ideas of tracking wild animals /endangered species/
                by using amateur radio digital devices, etc.)
                - Final discussions and conclusions
                - Acknowledgments