RE: [BPQ32] Getting Started

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2013
      Tom

      1 the HF antenna you are using would have to cover 145 MHz, most do not,
      as Mike W8EHH mentioned you can make a simple 1/4 wave ground plain antenna
      that will do
      for now using a SO-239, I run a 10 element vertical beam pointing SW from
      Racine
      and a 17 foot Diamond dual band vertical, 75 watts and 10Db preamp.

      The only few frequencies in WI used are 145.61 (ARES/RACES Frequency) 145.53
      very little
      Activity, and 145.030, this is the frequency I and many others use.

      There are 3 full time BBS'S on 145.030
      N9PMO Racine WI
      KB9PVH Lowell WI
      KB9SOZ Arkdale WI

      There also are several TNC Mail Box and Nodes throughout Wisconsin

      The first thing to do is monitor 145.030 using the speaker and listen for
      packet bursts.
      Then work on some type of antenna, 1/4 wave will give you very (limited)
      range.

      Mike N9PMO

      Message 2 of 9 , May 24, 2013
        Hi Jerry, thanks for the come back. I think that Wis  packet is not very active, based on the web info I found at this time.
        I found a list of Wi freq dated back in 2002. Anyway; some basic info for you. Firstly, I'm not very experienced at radio.
        I only had success at receiving packet traffic on 20 meters. This was using a sdr setup where I can actually see packet
        signals on a waterfall

        On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Jerry <n9lya@...> wrote:

        I can try…

        I see you are in WI… What freqs are in use  near you on 2 meter packet? If you have a freq where someone has told you there is activity.. You may need to monitor for a while and let your heard list record any callsigns and then come back and try connecting to them.

        Is there a club or a station you know is active in your area on packet and what freq they use..

        73 jerry N9LYA

        Surely someone in the group could help me or refer me to another group.

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "tom Pawlik" <tgpawlik@...> wrote:

        > New here in the group. Just purchased an Icom 2300 mobile radio.
        > Have it hooked up to my 43ft vertical hf ant. However, I not hearing
        > any traffic on the 145 mHz band where I'm lead to believe there is
        > packet activity. I know my radio receives as it gets the local repeater
        > traffic on 144.91 mhz. Could someone clue me in?
        >
        > 73's, Tom kc9tgf

      • tom Pawlik
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24, 2013
          Thanks for the come back, Mike. I think that my station setup is
          off. I tried working a local repeater in my area and no one heard
          me. So I got to figure out why this is before I can go on. I did
          monitor those freq you mention earlier and got nothing. It could
          be that when I did so, it was not busy during the middle of the
          weekday.

          Tom kc9tgf