Getting Started

  • tom Pawlik
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2013
      New here in the group. Just purchased an Icom 2300 mobile radio.
      Have it hooked up to my 43ft vertical hf ant. However, I not hearing
      any traffic on the 145 mHz band where I'm lead to believe there is
      packet activity. I know my radio receives as it gets the local repeater
      traffic on 144.91 mhz. Could someone clue me in?

      73's, Tom kc9tgf
    • tom Pawlik
      Message 2 of 9 , May 24, 2013
        Surely someone in the group could help me or refer me to another group.

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "tom Pawlik" <tgpawlik@...> wrote:

        > New here in the group. Just purchased an Icom 2300 mobile radio.
        > Have it hooked up to my 43ft vertical hf ant. However, I not hearing
        > any traffic on the 145 mHz band where I'm lead to believe there is
        > packet activity. I know my radio receives as it gets the local repeater
        > traffic on 144.91 mhz. Could someone clue me in?
        >
        > 73's, Tom kc9tgf

      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24, 2013

          I can try…

          I see you are in WI… What freqs are in use  near you on 2 meter packet? If you have a freq where someone has told you there is activity.. You may need to monitor for a while and let your heard list record any callsigns and then come back and try connecting to them.

          Is there a club or a station you know is active in your area on packet and what freq they use..

          73 jerry N9LYA

          Surely someone in the group could help me or refer me to another group.

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "tom Pawlik" <tgpawlik@...> wrote:

          > New here in the group. Just purchased an Icom 2300 mobile radio.
          > Have it hooked up to my 43ft vertical hf ant. However, I not hearing
          > any traffic on the 145 mHz band where I'm lead to believe there is
          > packet activity. I know my radio receives as it gets the local repeater
          > traffic on 144.91 mhz. Could someone clue me in?
          >
          > 73's, Tom kc9tgf

        • Michael Mullikin
          Message 4 of 9 , May 24, 2013

            Hi Tom

            Packet Freq are 145.01 03 05 07 & 09.  Local area may use different freq.

            You will do much better if you use a VHF ant instead of your 43 ft vertical.  A ¼ wave ground plane will hear much better than your vertical.  Of course this is my option.  Also packet all over the country has declined and you may not find any activity.  In my present location there is none here in MI

            73  Mike

            Surely someone in the group could help me or refer me to another group.

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "tom Pawlik" <tgpawlik@...> wrote:

            > New here in the group. Just purchased an Icom 2300 mobile radio.
            > Have it hooked up to my 43ft vertical hf ant. However, I not hearing
            > any traffic on the 145 mHz band where I'm lead to believe there is
            > packet activity. I know my radio receives as it gets the local repeater
            > traffic on 144.91 mhz. Could someone clue me in?
            >
            > 73's, Tom kc9tgf

          • N9ACQ
            Message 5 of 9 , May 24, 2013

                   Illinois packet frequencies in addition to the national APRS frequency. It is amazing what a Google search will find.

              144.910   144.930   144.950   144.970   144.990   145.010

              145.030   145.050   145.070   145.090   145.510   145.530

              145.550   145.570   145.590   145.610   145.630   145.650

              145.670   145.690   145.710   145.730   145.750   145.770

              145.790

            • Jerry
              Message 6 of 9 , May 24, 2013

                U can get the same list for Indiana.. But u will only find pockets of activity and most certainly not in all areas…

                What he needs is to locate a local Actual Packet op and find out where they are operating…

                Or monitor each freq for a while if he finds anyone then contact them..

                He might be able to monitor the aprs freq to verify his receive is working 144.390 see if you get any stations in your heard list.

                73 jk

                Message 7 of 9 , May 24, 2013
                  Tom

                  1 the HF antenna you are using would have to cover 145 MHz, most do not,
                  as Mike W8EHH mentioned you can make a simple 1/4 wave ground plain antenna
                  that will do
                  for now using a SO-239, I run a 10 element vertical beam pointing SW from
                  Racine
                  and a 17 foot Diamond dual band vertical, 75 watts and 10Db preamp.

                  The only few frequencies in WI used are 145.61 (ARES/RACES Frequency) 145.53
                  very little
                  Activity, and 145.030, this is the frequency I and many others use.

                  There are 3 full time BBS'S on 145.030
                  N9PMO Racine WI
                  KB9PVH Lowell WI
                  KB9SOZ Arkdale WI

                  There also are several TNC Mail Box and Nodes throughout Wisconsin

                  The first thing to do is monitor 145.030 using the speaker and listen for
                  packet bursts.
                  Then work on some type of antenna, 1/4 wave will give you very (limited)
                  range.

                  Mike N9PMO

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 24, 2013
                    Hi Jerry, thanks for the come back. I think that Wis  packet is not very active, based on the web info I found at this time.
                    I found a list of Wi freq dated back in 2002. Anyway; some basic info for you. Firstly, I'm not very experienced at radio.
                    I only had success at receiving packet traffic on 20 meters. This was using a sdr setup where I can actually see packet
                    signals on a waterfall

                    On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Jerry <n9lya@...> wrote:

                    I can try…

                    I see you are in WI… What freqs are in use  near you on 2 meter packet? If you have a freq where someone has told you there is activity.. You may need to monitor for a while and let your heard list record any callsigns and then come back and try connecting to them.

                    Is there a club or a station you know is active in your area on packet and what freq they use..

                    73 jerry N9LYA

                    Surely someone in the group could help me or refer me to another group.

                    --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "tom Pawlik" <tgpawlik@...> wrote:

                    > New here in the group. Just purchased an Icom 2300 mobile radio.
                    > Have it hooked up to my 43ft vertical hf ant. However, I not hearing
                    > any traffic on the 145 mHz band where I'm lead to believe there is
                    > packet activity. I know my radio receives as it gets the local repeater
                    > traffic on 144.91 mhz. Could someone clue me in?
                    >
                    > 73's, Tom kc9tgf

                  • tom Pawlik
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 24, 2013
                      Thanks for the come back, Mike. I think that my station setup is
                      off. I tried working a local repeater in my area and no one heard
                      me. So I got to figure out why this is before I can go on. I did
                      monitor those freq you mention earlier and got nothing. It could
                      be that when I did so, it was not busy during the middle of the
                      weekday.

                      Tom kc9tgf