linbpq32 BBS & Node Latency

  • w4jpa
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2013
      I notice that when I connect to my BBS or Node there are some latency issues. e.g. Listing messages may take 10 or 20 seconds and using ? to see my options when connected to node also takes some time. This is with a very clean B2B TNC connection so no Rx/Tx lost packets etc. I know the pi isn't the fastest gizmo on the block but would have expected a little crisper response ot such simple requests.
      73 BobJ W4JPA
    • Clayton Brantley
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8, 2013
        Bob:  You should've been a user when I was running W0RLI BBS on my Xerox 820 with 2 double sided 8" drives!
        My Pi is working really well and I'm glad it's as fast as it is.  Right now, I am using my laptop and a wireless connection
        to my router.  I have tested it with the radio via a distant node.  It's fast enough.  After all, we're only using 1200 baud!

        Would be nice to have an even faster radio data rate.  That is where things slow down.  I still have one of my old HAPN
        4800 baud modems and I'd like to see how the Pi works with it.

        73 Clayton N4EV

        Message 3 of 3 , May 8, 2013
          Sounds good but I'm using back to back TNC's. This is a test setup with server and client in same room. Do you really think that 1200 back and forward would take 15 seconds for a LM to say "No messages"?
          My experience from using outside RMS BBS sites is a lot different.
          73