Loopback Testing

  • w4jpa
    Message 1 of 6 , May 6, 2013
      I'm down to testing and fine tuning my linbpq32 RMS, CMS and BBS on a pi. Rather than use two modems and two radios on a quiet digital frequency would it be safe for me to use a crossover cable between the pi and my desktop?
    • N9ACQ
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2013

                        That should work.

        73 Bill

        N9ACQ

      • w4jpa
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2013
          Bill, I was forgetting that the TNC-Pi is getting a ton of (Ax25) control stuff down the RS232 pipe so that wouldn't work. To get a clean signal crossover I looked at connecting the TNCs back to back - this should work but for the signal levels which are very low. I'll pick up a couple of Lm386'S one the way home from work today and try that. If it 'aint one thing it's another!
          73
          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "N9ACQ" <n9acq@...> wrote:

          > That should work.
          >
          > 73 Bill
          >
          > N9ACQ

        • N9ACQ
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2013

            Bob

                            An amplifier should not be necessary. A common method of setting TNC xmit tones of a TNC is to use a loopback plug on the TNC audio connector.

            73 Bill

            N9ACQ

            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2013
              I've connected two TNC-PI's together with an audo crossover, and that worked fine. I've also connected UZ7HO soundmodem to the PI. I guess it depends on the sensitivity of the other TNC.

              73, John G8BPQ

              Bill, I was forgetting that the TNC-Pi is getting a ton of (Ax25) control stuff down the RS232 pipe so that wouldn't work. To get a clean signal crossover I looked at connecting the TNCs back to back - this should work but for the signal levels which are very low. I'll pick up a couple of Lm386'S one the way home from work today and try that. If it 'aint one thing it's another!
              73
              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "N9ACQ" <n9acq@...> wrote:

              > That should work.
              >
              > 73
              Bill

              > N9ACQ

            • w4jpa
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2013
                My problem was straight B2B didn't work! However I found that a a 0.047uF cap in the KPC-3 Audio out line worked nicelly. Now its on to tidying things up with the connect scripts etc.
                BobJ
                W4JPA