Bulletin Listing Problem with Mailchat - Software BUG ??

  • chris_g0cng
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2013
      Hi all. One of my users is having a problem with his Bulletin listing and its doing my head in!
      Basically I'm getting an earful from him because when he connects and issues the L command, the system frequenctly but not always fails to update his LAST LISTED number in his User Profile resulting in his listing going much further back than it should. I've been investigating this over the last few days and it seems that sometimes it works and correctly updates the number and sometimes it does not with the number remaining the same as his previous connect and hence he gets all the older bulls in his L instead of just the newer ones since his last connect.
      Also in the User Profile it says when that person last connected with the date and time. When I checked last Friday 3rd May it said his last connection was 24 April but he had connected on 26th April, 29th April and 1st May which MailChat had not picked up here:-( On checking the BBS LOGS, he HAD INDEED CONNECTED on these dates and each time had got a listing back to 44677 which was his LAST LISTED on 24th April.
      Looks like a software bug to me ??
      I'm currently running MailChat 1.4.52.1 and BPQNODE 5.2.8.1 under Windows 98SE.
      I've tried to update to the very latest verison of the node and the new BPQMAIL but although the installer runs fine, when i try to start the node I get the error

      CANNOT FINE DBGHELP.DLL

      so I've had to roll back to the versions above which don't seem to need this DLL file.
      See my separate posting about this error.
      Maybe the latest version of Mail will cure this listing problem experience by my user.

      Has anyone else had this problem with the BBS ??

      Thanks
      Chris G0CNG Sysop GB7MAX Bloxwich UK.
    • David Morris
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2013
        For what it's worth Chis (and gang), I've noticed my "Users" details don't alter either. I'm running BPQ32 Mail and separate Chat on windows XPpro.

        Virus Checked before sending
        Dave Morris (GM3YEW)
        GM3YEW @ GB7YEW
        077 78 78 1907
        73

        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2013
          The "last listed" is only updated when a user disconnects with a B (or Node) command - the idea behind this is that if a connection fails part way through a listing there is no way of knowing how much has been received. Maybe this could be changed to save the number when the next command is received.

          The "Time Connected" is updated on all incoming connects.

          BUT

          These updates are to the instore copy of the user records. They are only written to disk if a manual update is made to any user info, or the program terminates normally. If the program crashes, the updated info could be lost. Is it possible that the program is crashing regularly, or is being killed rather than closed normally?

          I'll look into changing  the code to save the user database more often.

          73, John

          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2013
            Thanks for the comments John. Reading your comments I know what the problem is.
            I've been using a POWEROFF service to kill the system and reboot the computer at 4.30am each morning after Housekeeping is complete.
            Hence the user data will have been lost as BPQ MAILCHAT will not have been terminated normally.
            I've now removed POWEROFF and hopefully things should improve.
            The user concerned does connect in through a couple of nodes and this is possibly whats been happening.
            Thanks ever so much for the very rapid responses to both my problems John. Just hope we can sort the DBGHELP.DLL error soon!
            Chris

            > The "last listed" is only updated when a user disconnects with a B (or Node)
            > command - the idea behind this is that if a connection fails part way
            > through a listing there is no way of knowing how much has been received.
            > Maybe this could be changed to save the number when the next command is
            > received.
            >
            > The "Time Connected" is updated on all incoming connects.
            >
            > BUT
            >
            > These updates are to the instore copy of the user records. They are only
            > written to disk if a manual update is made to any user info, or the program
            > terminates normally. If the program crashes, the updated info could be lost.
            > Is it possible that the program is crashing regularly, or is being killed
            > rather than closed normally?
            >
            > I'll look into changing the code to save the user database more often.
            >
            > 73, John
            >
            > _____

          • K.O. Higgs

              --