WL2K & BBS

  • Robert F Jarvis
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2013

      We are currently running a simple (Ax25/Telnet) RMS Gate; W4JPA-10. User use RMS Express to directly connect to it and email the W2LK System.

      We would like to co-host a BBS (only) using W4JPA-8

      QUESTIONS

      Is linbpq32 “overkill” for our needs. We do not require to connect to other nodes, No Pactor/Winmor etc etc.

      IF NOT

      How do we “separate” the -10 RMS and -8 BBS?

      Our linbpq32 test site will not allow RMS Express straight through – It connects but I  imagine it’s hanging at the command line. Fix?

      How d we set up that BBS.?

      I have really plowed through a number of documents of which there are a lot and currently envisage a bpg32.cfg with all the network parameters turned off. Autosave & Nodes = 0. With only CMS, TCPORT and FBBPORT Ports. Plus the APPLICATION for RMS BBS an LINMAIL. But still finding it hard to sort out the redirects for -10’s and -8 calls and the -10 direct to CMS. Hopefully, in this is a user group, someone will have done similar and have some pointers.

      73

      BobJ

      W4JPA

      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2013
        Bob,

        No, it isn't overkill - it is designed so you can use as much or as little of it as you want

        I suggested you follow the instructions at

        to get the RMS gateway going with an ax.25 TNC. You can ignore all the stuff about HF modes.

        Once that is working and you can connect to the CMS using both RF and Telnet, activate the BBS. Add the following lines to bpq32,cfg

        APPLICATION 2,BBS,,W4JPA-8
        LINMAIL

        Restart linbpq, and use a browser connecting to HTTPORT to configure the BBS - the minimum you need are BBS call (W4JPA), BBS Appl No (2), Streams (10). Save config and restart again,

        Connects to -10 will go to the CMS, -8 to the BBS

        73, John

        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2013
          John.

          Yes, I have been using this document (thanks) and as mentioned previously HAVE Linbpq32_RMS RUNNING for days. I'm able to connect via VHF & telnet and send/receive Wl2K emails once I have entered "rms" to connect to a CMS. That part did not take long!

          However, when I try to use RMS Express the program connects but then stalls. (I believe it's waiting to for an "rms").

          On the BBS; I currently get a "BUSY" message. Hopefully with more reading I'll soon have this under control.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2013
            Bob,

            You shouldnt need to enter RMS if you connect to the RMS callsign - that is why RMS Express isn't working. What do you have for the node call - it must be different from the RMS and BBS calls (ie not -8 or -10).

            Once you have the BBS active and configured the BUSY should go away.

            73, John

            href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/LinBPQ_RMSGateway.html">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/LinBPQ_RMSGateway.html

            > to get the RMS gateway going with an ax.25 TNC. You can ignore all the
            stuff
            > about HF modes.
            >
            > Once that is working and you can
            connect to the CMS using both RF and
            > Telnet, activate the BBS. Add the
            following lines to bpq32,cfg

            > APPLICATION 2,BBS,,W4JPA-8

            LINMAIL

            > Restart linbpq, and use a browser connecting to HTTPORT
            to configure the BBS
            > - the minimum you need are BBS call (W4JPA), BBS
            Appl No (2), Streams (10).
            > Save config and restart again,
            >
            > Connects to -10 will go to the CMS, -8 to the BBS

            [BPQ32] WL2K & BBS

            > We
            are currently running a simple (Ax25/Telnet) RMS Gate; W4JPA-10. User use
            > RMS Express to directly connect to it and email the W2LK
            System.

            > We would like to co-host a BBS (only) using
            W4JPA-8

            > QUESTIONS
            >
            > Is linbpq32 "overkill" for
            our needs. We do not require to connect to other
            > nodes, No Pactor/Winmor
            etc etc.

            > IF NOT
            >
            > How do we "separate" the -10
            RMS and -8 BBS?

            > Our linbpq32 test site will not allow RMS
            Express straight through - It
            > connects but I imagine it's hanging at the
            command line. Fix?

            > How d we set up that BBS.?

            I have really plowed through a number of d ocuments of which there are a lot
            > and currently envisage a bpg32.cfg with all the network parameters
            turned
            > off. Autosave & Nodes = 0. With only CMS, TCPORT and FBBPORT
            Ports. Plus the
            > APPLICATION for RMS BBS an LINMAIL. But still finding it
            hard to sort out
            > the redirects for -10's and -8 calls and the -10 direct
            to CMS. Hopefully,
            > in this is a user group, someone will have done
            similar and have some
            > pointers.
            >
            > 73

            BobJ

            > W4JPA

          • w4jpa
            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2013
              My nodecall was (in my ignorance) W4JPA-10 but soon changed to W4JPA-2 and that seemed to do it;
              -10 puts me straight thru to CMS to send/receive emails.
              -8 to the BBS.
              -2 puts me somewhere but not sure where yet!
              But overall a great leap forward - Thank you.