Re: [BPQ32] bpq408a

  • Charles Brabham
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 16, 2008
      If you are running DOS, an interrupt driven OS that is faster and more
      reliable than Winders or Linux, then the DOS version of BPQ is the obvious
      way to go.

      I have an old Dell 90Mhz P1 that ran DOS/BPQ/Fbb flawlessly for over a
      decade with zero downtime. - You can't do much better than that!

      I went over to BPQ32 out of curiosity more than anything else, when my old
      Dell developed serial port problems after a lightning strike. The oldest
      other computer/OS combo I had was an old Win98 machine, so I decided to try
      BPQ32. ( Works just as well as the old DOS version, as far as I can tell. )

      The new, more advanced system I am planning will utilize DOS/ BPQ /FBB in an
      embedded computer that is about the size of two cigarette packs laid
      side-by-side. I will be putting the Node/BBS directly on the tower, working
      on the theory that the surplus embedded computer will be cheaper than
      running multiple feedlines from the tower to the hamshack.

      I've been maintaining other people's BBS stations via the remote-SYSOP
      method for decades, so I'm used to doing things that way.

      BPQ32 is just fine, but I'd say that DOS BPQ is far from outliving its
      usefulness. Great software!

      73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL