UIview32 not transmitting with BPQ32_6.0.1.1_20130322 [1]

  • g4fvg
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2013
      Hello John and the group,

      Having returned to the UK after a 5 month spell away, I have just updated from BPQ32_5.2.9.1_20120925.exe to the latest BPQ32_6.0.1.1_20130322.exe version.

      After 'over-installing' the new version, then switching computer off/on, clicking on my UIview32 icon brings up UIview [and opens the BPQ32 console, as usual].

      However, I noticed that my UIview beacon [and its send message facility] is not transmitted and nothing appears in the BPQ32 console/monitor window as trying to transmit. UIview is receiving data as usual [that also appears in the console/monitor window]

      Moving onto my other programs.... clicking BPQHostMode brings up that screen as usual, before loading up Winpack16.

      Similarly, Winpack16 is receiving data ok but will not transmit any connect requests.

      Finally, clicking on the BPQAPRS icon, loads the map, receives station data BUT DOES transmit messages.

      = = = =

      The above order is the usual way that I started up my programs with version 5.2.9.1 and I intend to uninstall BPQ32 6.0.1.1 and then reinstall 5.2.9.1 [after copy/pasting both sections of the BPQ32 Program and Application Data folders to a separate hard drive, just in case!].

      Am I safe to do this uninstall / reinstall to a previous version for testing? [later today].

      Or has something happened in the last 5 months to stop UIview32 and Winpack/BPQHostmode from transmitting packets?? [that I may have missed whilst catching up with the last 5 months digest messages!!]

      In which case, which version of BPQ32 should I install to allow UIview32 to transmit??

      = = = =

      For info, running Windows XP/SP3, UIView32 set to BPQ32 communication mode, Winpack/BPQHostmode and BPQAPRS all at the same time via serial port COM4 into a TNC > radio etc.

      Thanks,
      Mike
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2013
        Mike,

        You should be able to install 5.2.9.1 over 6.0.1.1 without uninstalling anything (but taking a copy is a wise precaution!)

        I haven't tried UIView lately, but I have tested Winpack and APRS.

        Do the other programs work if you don't run UI-View? If so, there may be something wrong with the interface UIView uses.

        Can you transmit using the terminal window? If not, the most likely cause is something in the config file which was ok with the old version, but not the new.

        73, john

        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2013
          Hello John and the group,

          Many thanks for your prompt/timely reply - much appreciated [as is all the work that you have done with BPQ32 in the past few months/years!]

          Just to check my installation, I 'over-installed' 5.2.9.1 on top of 6.0.1.1 and UIview transmits as before [along with BPQ32 terminal, Winpack, BPQ terminal in Winpack and BPQAPRS messaging]. All OK.

          Then tried 6.0.1.1 again, restarted computer, then clicked on BPQHostmode to call the console screen up. Using the separate terminal window, normal connection requests/transmissions occur.
          BPQAPRS is also OK with messages being acknowledged. These tests were done without UIview being loaded.
          However when UIview is loaded after the above, UIView32 once again does not transmit anything, but happily receives incoming data.
          With UIview still loaded, Winpack IS transmitting OK, as is BPQAPRS.

          From the above, it appears as though something has changed with the way that 6.0.1.1 exchanges information with UIView [ONLY], compared to 5.2.9.1 ??? [All my BPQ files have remained the same, all I do is just to double click on the .exe installer files; I'm a simple plug and play operator!!!]

          I checked on the BPQ32 files/links area but Ron hasn't included any intermediate installers between Sept 2012 and March 2013 [perhaps there weren't any??!]. I was hoping to try an intermediate stage to see the effect of Uiview but am obviously unable to do so.....

          I'm willing to try anything else - in the meantime, I'll go back to 5.2.9.1.....
          [for info, I prefer UIview's station tracking feature and its messaging, compared to BPQAPRS. But the BPQAPRS online maps are great!! ]

          Thanks,
          Mike

          --- John wrote:
          > You should be able to install 5.2.9.1 over 6.0.1.1 without uninstalling anything (but taking a copy is a wise precaution!)
          >
          > I haven't tried UIView lately, but I have tested Winpack and APRS.
          >
          > Do the other programs work if you don't run UI-View? If so, there may be something wrong with the interface UIView uses.
          >
          > Can you transmit using the terminal window? If not, the most likely cause is something in the config file which was ok with the old version, but not the new.
          >
          > 73, john

          = = = = From g4fvg on 03 May 2013 10:16

          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2013
            Ok, Mike,

            I've just found UIView32 on this system, and it seems to be working as well

            Is anyone else having problems with V6 and UIView32 - or even running it successfully?

            73, John

            Many thanks for your prompt/timely reply - much appreciated [as is all the work that you have done with BPQ32 in the past few months/years!]

            Just to check my installation, I 'over-installed' 5.2.9.1 on top of 6.0.1.1 and UIview transmits as before [along with BPQ32 terminal, Winpack, BPQ terminal in Winpack and BPQAPRS messaging]. All OK.

            Then tried 6.0.1.1 again, restarted computer, then clicked on BPQHostmode to call the console screen up. Using the separate terminal window, normal connection requests/transmissions occur.
            BPQAPRS is also OK with messages being acknowledged. These tests were done without UIview being loaded.
            However when UIview is loaded after the above, UIView32 once again does not transmit anything, but happily receives incoming data.
            With UIview still loaded, Winpack IS transmitting OK, as is BPQAPRS.

            From the above, it appears as though something has changed with the way that 6.0.1.1 exchanges information with UIView [ONLY], compared to 5.2.9.1 ??? [All my BPQ files have remained the same, all I do is just to double click on the .exe installer files; I'm a simple plug and play operator!!!]

            =

            =

            > For info, running Windows XP/SP3, UIView32 set to BPQ32
            communication mode, Winpack/BPQHostmode and BPQAPRS all at the same time via serial port COM4 into a TNC > radio etc.

            > Thanks,

            Mike

          • Ron Patten
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2013
              UIview32 runs fine here.

              Ron
            • g4fvg
              Message 6 of 8 , May 14, 2013
                Thanks John for your information and to Ron KG6HSQ for his own confirmation in the last ten days or so, in message nr 10496.

                It would appear as though only two stations are using UIview32 with BPQ32 and with only my system not working with version 6.0.1.1, I'll have to stick with 5.2.9.1 :-(

                Perhaps my UIview will work with the next upgrade version, as and when. I'll certainly try it! :-)

                = = = =

                In the meantime, would I be safe to over-install 6.0.1.1, copy the BPQAPRS files from that version; over-install 5.2.9.1 and paste the new BPQAPRS files over the top of the old BPQAPRS files??

                Hopefully, by doing this, I can use the newer BPQAPRS with the older BPQ32 version... [or are there too many non-compatible changes between the two versions??]

                Thanks again,
                Mike

                Message 7 of 8 , May 15, 2013
                  Mike,

                  I'm pretty sure the new BPQAPRS.exe will work with the old BPQ32.dll, but it won't do any harm to try it.

                  But unless we find why it isn't working the chances of it being fixed in the next verison is remote. Could you send me your bpq32.cfg and the UIView .ini files and I'll see if I can reproduce your problem here.

                  Thanks,
                  John

                  --- John wrote:

                  > I've just found UIView32 on this system, and it seems to be
                  working as well

                  > Is anyone else having problems with V6 and
                  UIView32 - or even
                  > running it successfully?
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > Mike wrote on 03 May 2013 15:28
                  > Subject: [BPQ32]
                  UIview32 not transmitting with BPQ32_6.0.1.1_20130322 [2]

                  > Hello
                  John and the group,

                  > Many thanks for your prompt/timely reply -
                  much appreciated [as is
                  > all the work that you have done with BPQ32 in
                  the past few
                  > months/years!]
                  >
                  > Just to check my
                  installation, I 'over-installed' 5.2.9.1 on top of
                  > 6.0.1.1 and UIview
                  transmits as before [along with BPQ32 terminal,
                  > Winpack, BPQ terminal
                  in Winpack and BPQAPRS messaging]. All OK.

                  > Then tried 6.0.1.1
                  again, restarted computer, then clicked on
                  > BPQHostmode to call the
                  console screen up. Using the separate
                  > terminal window, normal
                  connection requests/transmissions occur.
                  > BPQAPRS is also OK with
                  messages being acknowledged.
                  > These tests were done without UIview being
                  loaded.

                  > However when UIview is loaded after the above, UIView32 once
                  again
                  > does not transmit anything, but happily receives incoming
                  data.
                  > With UIview still loaded, Winpack IS transmitting OK, as is
                  BPQAPRS.

                  > From the above, it appears as though something has
                  changed with
                  > the way that 6.0.1.1 exchanges information with UIView
                  [ONLY],
                  > compared to 5.2.9.1 ???
                  > [All my BPQ files have remained
                  the same, all I do is just to
                  > double click on the .exe installer files;
                  I'm a simple plug and
                  > play operator!!!]
                  >

                  > I'm
                  willing to try anything else - in the meantime, I'll go back to

                  5.2.9.1.....
                  > [for info, I prefer UIview's station tracking feature and
                  its
                  > messaging, compared to BPQAPRS. But the BPQAPRS online maps are
                  > great!! ]
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Mike

                • g4fvg
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 15, 2013
                    Thanks John for your offer of continued assistance and I have already emailed you 'direct'/off list with my config files.

                    I can also confirm that yes, BPQAPRS.exe version 1.1.4.1 from version 6.0.1.1 does work with the remainder of the 5.2.9.1 setup. :-)

                    Await your findings in due course,
                    Mike G4FVG