Re: Need some help with SCS INI file

  • w5kav
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
      Tnxs John

      I have a number of questions but I will address them a few at a time
      LOL

      1st of all i'd like to thank Howard W6IDS, Jay WS7I and you for your
      help, I read allot but sometimes do not understand much, I'm sort of a
      hands on guy so if you show me once or twice I can get it LOL.

      Right now I run Winlink Classic scanning 12 differant frequencies
      24/7 as the National Traffic System Pacific Area Hub. Thus I receive
      and send NTS traffic in the area of 2000 over messages a month
      to the Western States to include Hawaii and Alaska by radio only.
      I except traffic from the Western States and forward it to the
      Central and Eastern United States, the scanner I use is Winscan v2.2,
      per Howard's email to me he is using the Winmore part of the INI file
      to do his scanning, but I see in the SCS example part of the INI file
      mulitple frequencies so I am confused as to which one I can use or is
      there another option.

      In Winlink Classic there is a slide bar that you can adjust the off
      set of the center frequency. In the examples I believe I see that you
      have to imput the window frequency and not the center frequency is that correct.

      Since my system stores and forward's traffic and have a very large
      forwarding file using zip code's along with (Zipcode)@NTSXX
      it looks like I must go to WinFBB or MSYS as a attachment to BPQ
      instead of using BPQ32 mail which I like, is my thinking correct
      on this.

      Again I want to thank you and Howard and Jay for your answers, input
      and help.

      73 Chuck W5KAV
      chuckw5kav@...

      > Chuck,
      >
      > The config you have there looks about it. You need to change the RIGCONTOL
      > line to COM3 if the radio is on that port, and SCS modems are often set to
      > 38400, not 96600.
      >
      > Also remove the last 3 lines if you dont have packet ports on the PTC

    • w5kav
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013

        Maybe I should explain what I am trying to do with the BPQ32 Software.

        a. link to the Winlink2000 system and receive and send messages
        b. operate a RMS on VHF only along with sending and receiving WL2K
        messages on the same system.
        c. Send and receive NTS digital message's with store and forwarding
        by zip codes and amateur call signs in Pactor, Winmore, and possibly
        High speed packet on HF
        d. relay NTS messages between HF and VHF
        c. telnet links other than WL2K system (done)

        Right now I run three systems, one system on HF for the NTS
        with Pactor 1,2, 3 in B1 not B2 with a VHF link to local area.
        I have one other system running a VHF RMS along with a system running
        Airmail to receive WL2K messages. Since I have BPQ32 running now I
        have changed out the computer to the computer running BPQ32 but still
        have that system running my VHF RMS but once I get my VHF radio and
        Kantronics system hooked up to the computer running BPQ32 that computer will be free I believe adding a SID to each port.
        Right now I have to swap messages coming from the WL2K system to the
        NTS Digital System by copying traffic to a zip drive, formatting the
        traffic and importing it into my NTS Digital system computer. My
        thinking is that I can make life allot easier by using BPQ32 and
        dropping two computers, then the only thing I would have to do
        export, reformat the Bulk traffic coming from the WL2K system and
        import it back into BPQ32 for the NTS system.

        Being that the NTS-Digital is the backup to the WL2K system I am
        trying to find ways for the Major Area and Regional NTS-Digital Hubs
        to combine their digital systems into one computer, go to a
        store and forward automated system that is easy to use, supported
        as well as you have with BPQ32 and willing to help amateurs
        with upgrade's and the great support you and others do. Myself along
        with the other two Area NTS-Digital Coordinators are looking into the
        future thus I am the test bunny along with one other Digital
        Coordinator in the Eastern Area hopefully change from Winlink Classic
        to BPQ32 in the future.

        73 Chuck W5KAV
        PADC
        Chuckw5kav@...

        > Chuck,
        >
        > The config you have there looks about it. You need to change the RIGCONTOL
        > line to COM3 if the radio is on that port, and SCS modems are often set to
        > 38400, not 96600.
        >
        > Also remove the last 3 lines if you dont have packet ports on the PTC

      • N9ACQ
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013

          Chuck

                          One point to check is will BPOQ w/ Pactor allow basic connections, such as the MFJ-1278B uses, no 8 bit capability in Pactor mode. Both Airmail and Winlink 2.9 and 3.0 allow such connections. If not the NTSD system need to disseminate the lowest Pactor connection allowed across the whole system.

          73 Bill

          N9ACQ

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2013
            Chuck,

            If i understand what you are doing correctly, you need to specify the scanning info (RIGCONTROL) on your pactor port. If you are scanning lots of frequencies, I suggest you use the "new format" for RIGCONTROL documented in

            Although the old way of specifying all the frequencies on one line still works, for large lists it is not very clear.

            RICGONTROL works with DIAL frequencies - as it doesn't know what your tones are, it can't work in centre freq.

            BPQ Mail can forward on both the zip code and the NTSXX and doesn't have any limit on the number of entries, so I don't see why you should need to use FBB or MSYS

            73, John

            Message 5 of 9 , May 1 9:29 AM
              Tnxs John,

              I have allot to wrap my head around, will let you know how
              thing progress and I'm sure I'll have some more questions
              down the road.

              73 Chuck W5KAV

              > Chuck,
              >
              > If i understand what you are doing correctly, you need to specify the
              > scanning info (RIGCONTROL) on your pactor port. If you are scanning lots of
              > frequencies, I suggest you use the "new format" for RIGCONTROL documented in
              >

              > http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/RigControl.htm
              >
              > Although the old way of specifying all the frequencies on one line still
              > works, for large lists it is not very clear.
              >
              > RICGONTROL works with DIAL frequencies - as it doesn't know what your tones
              > are, it can't work in centre freq.
              >
              > BPQ Mail can forward on both the zip code and the NTSXX and doesn't have any
              > limit on the number of entries, so I don't see why you should need to use
              > FBB or MSYS
              >
              > 73, John
              >

              > _____

            • W6IDS
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1 2:57 PM
                John, just to clarify, you’re saying the RigControl statement
                such as found in the documentation examples will work if
                placed in the Pactor Port segment of the BPQ32.cfg?

                It in fact works?   Hmmm. . . .I read it as being applicable to
                Winmor use.  I did try it with RIGCONTROL residing in the
                Pactor Port but had no success.  I’ve read/heard elsewhere
                where the scanning would not work with the ICOM.  My own
                attempts did not work, so It seemed true that the scanning
                activity would be controlled by Winmor per se.

                Howard W6IDS
                Richmond, IN EM79NV

                Message 7 of 9 , May 1 3:07 PM
                  Howard,

                  You can use RIGCONTROL with any of the HF Comms Modes - WINMOR, all the Pactor Drivers, SCSTracker, UZ7HO and MultiPSK.

                  If you are using more than one mode on the same radio (eg WINMOR and Pactor) you should only place the RIGCONTROL statement in one of them, and use the INTERLOCK statement to group those ports together, so that a connection on any of them will stop the scan.