1st Attempt LinBPQ - Error

  • w4jpa
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
      Started with new Debian "Wheezy" distro disk, updated, SHH etc then;
      Followed dl.dropbox . . . LinBPQ_RMSGateway . " To the "T" !!

      Installation and Configuration = OK
      1st try at ./linbpq = Error Msg;

      root@smokeypi:~/linbpq# ./linbpq
      G8BPQ AX25 Packet Switch System Version 6.0.1.31 April 2013
      Copyright © 2001-2013 John Wiseman G8BPQ
      Current Directory is /root/linbpq

      Configuration file Preprocessor.
      Could not open file /root/linbpq/bpq32.cfg
      Configuration File Error

      Notes to assist;

      root@smokeypi:~/linbpq# find / -name bpq*
      /root/linbpq/bpq32.cfq
      AND
      root@smokeypi:~# ls -la
      drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 30 05:39 linbpq

      root@smokeypi:~# cd linbpq
      root@smokeypi:~/linbpq# ls -la
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 336 Apr 30 06:19 bpq32.cfq
      drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 30 05:19 HTML
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2089275 Apr 30 05:13 linbpq
      (Some system files trimmed out for brevity)

      The bpq32.cfg file content was C&P from the web page (and my particulars duly change)
      My (Debian newby) concern use of ; as comment so removed ALL comments!

      NOW Here is the odd thing - at this time if I;
      nano /root/linbpq/bpq32.cfg I get a "new File" I.E. cant find old!

      BUT WinSCP shows
      /<root.
      root
      linbpq
      bpq32.cfg
      linbpq
      HTML (Dir)

      So that is where I'm at as I head off for a 1/2 day down the mine.
      Hopefully a simple newby error here. Hope that my notes/answers help others and/or John's draft instructions.
      73
      BobJ/W4JPA
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
        Clutching at straws a bit here, but the last character of the name looks like a q not a g

        root@smokeypi:~/linbpq# ls -la
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 336 Apr 30 06:19 bpq32.cfq
        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 30 05:19 HTML
        73, John

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013

          Well now that will teach me to get up at 4am and start hacking. Nice spot John

          Well on the way now. Executing linbpq works fine with exception of

          Source record not recognised - Ignored: INFOMSG:W4JPA-10 RMS Gateway

          Which might be a typo too. I’m assuming INFOMSG the string should not have been in quotes right!

          Went to a 2nd session and got:

          Connected to W4JPA-10's Telnet Server

          ok

          W4JPA-10} Invalid command - Enter ? for command list

          W4JPA-10} RMS CONNECT BYE INFO NODES PORTS ROUTES USERS MHEARD

          So obviously have to look at what I need to do here but things are working (probably better than I am).

          Having hacked ax.25 and RMS for nearly a week – this lot took 20 minutes so far!

          I’m going to look at INFOMSG again then on to “Configuring Radio Ports” – Using TNC-Pi etc

          73 BobJ

          W4JPA/G4JPA

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
            Hi Bob,

            Glad you are making progress

            INFOMSG is a mulitline block, ending with *** Something Like

            INFOMSG:
            G8BPQ Win32 Test Switch, Skigersta, Isle of Lewis.
            ***

            I'm not sure from your message whether you typed ok and got Invalid Command. If not, check your USER lne  in the telnet config. I should be somthing like

            USER=user,password,gm8bpq,"",SYSOP    The pair of double quote chars before SYSOP are needed.

            73, John

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
              Right again. Instructions said;
              INFOMSG:MYCALL's RMS Gateway
              ***
              Changed to multi-line, amended my working notes and we're off!

              Opened Telnet in a 2nd session & connected to W4JPA-10 but;
              rms produced;

              *** W4JPA-10 Connected to CMS
              *** [4] [01000-002] - Invalid gateway login - Gateway does not have a password - Disconnecting (68.56.124.220)

              In bpq32cfg I used the password Steve Waterman (WL2K admin) gave me (and that I'm using on my current RMS GATE).

              CMSPASS= #### ; Secure CMS Password

              I edited it out and had another shot which produced THE SAME result.Scratching head now.
              73
              BobJ

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
                Ok, Thanks,

                Converting docs to HTML sometimes removes important newlines! I'll fix it.

                John

                Changed to multi-line, amended my working notes and we're off!

                Opened Telnet in a 2nd session & connected to W4JPA-10 but;
                rms produced;

                *** W4JPA-10 Connected to CMS
                *** [4] [01000-002] - Invalid gateway login - Gateway does not have a password - Disconnecting (68.56.124.220)

                In bpq32cfg I used the password Steve Waterman (WL2K admin) gave me (and that I'm using on my current RMS GATE).

                CMSPASS= #### ; Secure CMS Password

                I edited it out and had another shot which produced THE SAME result.Scratching head now.
                73
                BobJ

                > Hi Bob,
                >
                > Glad
                you are making progress

                > INFOMSG is a mulitline block, ending
                with *** Something Like

                > INFOMSG:
                > G8BPQ Win32 Test
                Switch, Skigersta, Isle of Lewis.
                > ***
                >
                > I'm not sure from
                your message whether you typed ok and got Invalid Command.
                > If not, check
                your USER lne in the telnet config. I should be somthing like

                USER=user,password,gm8bpq,"",SYSOP The pair of double quote chars before

                SYSOP are needed.

                > 73, John
                >
                > _____

                right!

                href="mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com">BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of John
                BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                _____

                /root/linbpq/bpq32.cfg
                > Configuration File Error
                >
                > Notes
                to assist;

                > root@smokeypi:~/linbpq# find / -name bpq*

                /root/linbpq/bpq32.cfq
                > AND
                > root@smokeypi:~# ls -la

                drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 30 05:39 linbpq

                root@smokeypi:~# cd linbpqroot@smokeypi:~/linbpq# ls -la
                > -rw-r--r-- 1
                root root 336 Apr 30 06:19 bpq32.cfq
                > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 30
                05:19 HTML
                > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2089275 Apr 30 05:13 linbpq

                (Some system files trimmed out for brevity)

                > The bpq32.cfg file
                content was C&P from the web page (and my particulars
                > duly
                change)
                > My (Debian newby) concern use of ; as comment so removed ALL
                comments!

                > NOW Here is the odd thing - at this time if
                I;
                > nano /root/linbpq/bpq32.cfg I get a "new File" I.E. cant find
                old!

                > BUT WinSCP shows
                > /<root.
                > root

                linbpq
                > bpq32.cfg
                > linbpq
                > HTML (Dir)
                >
                > So
                that is where I'm at as I head off for a 1/2 day down the mine.

                Hopefully a simple newby error here. Hope that my notes/answers help others
                > and/or John's draft instructions.
                > 73

                BobJ/W4JPA

              • w4jpa
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
                  Yes - a Little Beta testing always brings out something!
                  Any ideas about the "Invalid gateway login - Gateway does not have a
                  password" I've tried with and without the W2LK password to no avail.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
                    I assume that is from the CMS Gateway.

                    You either need both CMSCALL and CMSPASS, with a valid WL2K password and to be defined as a gateway in the WL2K system,  or you need to omit both. It will then fallback to the old method of working. But be warned that at some time in the not too distant future WL2K will require the secure form of login.

                    73, John

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013

                      Right!

                      I know they have been going back and forward here. Steve told me a week or two ago to use (only) the WL2K password he gave me and which WORK FINE on the RMS Gate I’m presently running here. As your answer points to the Gateway, I guess that is the where I need to look. Can’t think what to look for yet - but!!

                      Maybe some other folks here have an idea on this. Can’t think I’m the only one to have ever seen it.

                      73

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013

                        Head scratching over your last, so both CAMSCALL and CMSPASS were commented out and VOILA!

                        Kinda odd compared to my current RMS system but I can now move on to hooking it the radio part.

                        Might include a note/warning around this point in the instructions if it looks like things are going to change again John.

                        73