Re: [BPQ32] Re: Looking fo a Debian BBS

  • Clayton Brantley
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
      Looks like John has already sent you the info you need.
      I have my BPQ running right now and looks good.
      A few tweeks on the .cfg file and it'll work out.

      Good luck
      Clayton N4EV

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
        Yes and thanks. Some real naive questions after a VERY QUICK read of his PI instructions (It's past 9pm in the UK now);

        They note the use of HTML pages to Manage the site. Does this mean I'll need Apache on the PI?

        The notes finish with a plethora of extras like Robust Packet, SCS Tracker, Pactor, SCS Pactor Controllers and DRAGON !!! Are any of these integral to the RMS Gate.

        And finally; if a remote station comes in using a terminal program like PuTTY will they see a splash that, apart from RMS emailing etc), includes the BBS functions to create, save and read (none WL2K/RMS) messages?

        Wow!
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
          Bob,

          No, you don't need apache. A (very basic!) web server is part of LinBPQ.

          The code supports any combination of the various HF mode controllers for access to either  the BBS or WL2K CMS.

          You can customize the Telnet Server welcome message to include details of the services you are running.They can choose to connect to the BBS or RMS. If they are regular users, the BBS can collect their WL2K messages for them, so they can get both packet and WL2K mail in the same place.

          73, John

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

            See below

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

              Excellent stuff gentleman!

              Have I  just (yet again) learned something new – or is it semantics?

              I’ve used HF to WL2K email via the CMS sites but was not aware the (VHF/UHF) RMS Gates were connecting via HF (Not part of my present scope but Hmmm! All the same).

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                They normally aren't - but can be (that is basically what RMS relay does).

                A BPQ system can have both HF and VHF ports, Normally messages from either are passed to the CMS system via the Internet, but it is posble to configure it so that if the local Internet is down the messages are passed to another system (BPQ or normal RMS) via any available rf links (packet or pactor, etc).

                73, John

                From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jerry
                Sen t: Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:09 PM
                To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                See below

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                  A drawback with most RMS Gates is the possible loss of the internet connection in an emergency. We built it on the PI to make a 12 volt (only) small footprint station. Hopefully easily moved to a site that does have a connection. I’ll look into the HF side later (Better to walk before I run!)

                  Final question for now; I have AX.25 services running on the pi that’ll  be hosting the LinBPQ. Should it stay or go?

                  From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jerry
                  Sen t: Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:09 PM
                  To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                  See below

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                    No you don't.  Your access is via a web browser (included or the SD card.) using port 8080
                    The HTML files are what you will be using.  Not too up on the RMS stuff yet but the basic
                    BBS looks really good.

                    N4EV

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                      The linux ax.25 stack won't normally be used - but if you have an application that needs it (eg dxspider), you can link the LinBPQ node to the linux stack. It won't do any harm to leave it there.

                      73, John

                      From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jerry
                      Sen t: Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:09 PM
                      To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                      See below

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                        Ok – But as I really want to see what happens and what interacts with what here - in the best principles of KISS I aim to start with a clean distro SD!

                        73 BobJ

                        From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jerry
                        Sen t: Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:09 PM
                        To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                        See below

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                          Interesting – we’re going in reverse! My RMS Gate chirping away like a bird amd LinBQP planned for Tuesday.

                          73 BobJ

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 14, 2013
                            Jerry

                            Please send me the link as well.

                            Thanks

                            Rick

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On Apr 28, 2013, at 1:26 PM, "Jerry" <n9lya@...> wrote:

                            Linbpq works great on the Pi.  I will see if I can find u the download link and send private

                            73

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 14, 2013
                                Great,, let me know what you find, I'm hiking on the AT, I have a pitnc that I would also like to run BPQ on!

                                Ill be back in late May, I'll get with you and I can share what I already have compiled for the RPI.

                                Rick

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 21 , May 14, 2013
                                  Instructions on setting up LinBPQ, which includes the Node, BBS and Chat server can be found here

                                  The document has links to download the software

                                  There are a couple of other links which may be of interest

                                  Installing BPQ on a Respberry PI

                                  Setting up an RMS Gateway

                                  73, John G8BPQ