Looking fo a Debian BBS

  • w4jpa
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
      Hope this is the right place! I have just set up a WL2K RMS Gate on a RPi+TNC-Pi pack and it works fine. I'm now looking at co-hosting a BBS on it for local ARES to use during emergencies. These were both common and very robust in the old DOS days but when I look at the likes of FBB BBS and others I see so much traffic relating to problems - I wonder if it is worth the effort! I'd like to hear from anyone who has put BPQ on a PI.
      73
    • Clayton Brantley
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
        You might want to try the G8BPQ software.  It seems to work with the RMS and other things too.
        I am just in the process of getting my BPQ on the air.  I have the Raspi with the piggy-back TNC-X
        working right now with Xastir for APRS.  Might look for pilinbpq codeand contact John (G8BPQ)
        for more details.

        73 Clayton N4EV

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
          Clayton
          When you say G8BPQ's software - which suite is that specifically? I keep getting BPQ32 or something that I am not quite sure is right. John's email is not in QRZ.com so can't ask direct. This sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm using the PI with a TNC-PI and boy what a smart little setup it is. I would appreciate any more info you could give me here and of course the benefits of your experiences. 73's BobJ W4JPA

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Clayton Brantley <clayton_n4ev@...> wrote:

          > You might want to try the G8BPQ software.  It seems to work with the RMS and other things too.
          > I am just in the process of getting my BPQ on the air.  I have the Raspi with the piggy-back TNC-X
          > working right now with Xastir for APRS.  Might look for pilinbpq codeand contact John (G8BPQ)
          > for more details.
          >
          > 73 Clayton N4EV
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

            Linbpq works great on the Pi.  I will see if I can find u the download link and send private

            73

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
              Hi Bob,

              There is now a Linux port of the BPQ32 software - LinBPQ. It incorporated the packet node functions, along with a BBS and Chat server in one program. It can provide the RMS gateway fuctions of RMS Packet (or LinuxRMS) or RMS Trimode.

              I've strated writing some instuctions on setting up an RMS Gateway with LinBPQ. It isn't yet completem, but should give oyu an idea of how it works.

              The main BPQ documentation is at g8bpq.org.uk Although it was written for BPQ32, the BBS functions of LinBPQ and BPQ32 are identical.

              Email me via the list if you have any more questions.

              73, John G8BPQ

              <abjarvis@...>

            • Robert F Jarvis
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                Thank you John

                I do have an RMS gate up and running now that allows me to send the usual WL2K emails etc. but really had not anticipated a BBS COMING WITH a RMS package! It sounds like I should do this on my other RMS free PI for a completely fresh start. I’ll be happy to beta your instructions. I’ll hope to get started on this Tuesday 30th.

                When you say G8BPQ's software - which suite is that specifically? I keep getting BPQ32 or something that I am not quite sure is right. John's email is not in QRZ.com so can't ask direct. This sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm using the PI with a TNC-PI and boy what a smart little setup it is. I would appreciate any more info you could give me here and of course the benefits of your experiences. 73's BobJ W4JPA

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Clayton Brantley <clayton_n4ev@...> wrote:

                > You might want to try the G8BPQ software.  It seems to work with the RMS and other things too.
                > I am just in the process of getting my BPQ on the air.  I have the Raspi with the piggy-back TNC-X
                > working right now with Xastir for APRS.  Might look for pilinbpq codeand contact John (G8BPQ)
                > for more details.
                >
                > 73 Clayton N4EV
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Clayton Brantley
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                  Looks like John has already sent you the info you need.
                  I have my BPQ running right now and looks good.
                  A few tweeks on the .cfg file and it'll work out.

                  Good luck
                  Clayton N4EV

                  When you say G8BPQ's software - which suite is that specifically? I keep getting BPQ32 or something that I am not quite sure is right. John's email is not in QRZ.com so can't ask direct. This sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm using the PI with a TNC-PI and boy what a smart little setup it is. I would appreciate any more info you could give me here and of course the benefits of your experiences. 73's BobJ W4JPA

                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Clayton Brantley <clayton_n4ev@...> wrote:

                  > You might want to try the G8BPQ software.  It seems to work with the RMS and other things too.
                  > I am just in the process of getting my BPQ on the air.  I have the Raspi with the piggy-back TNC-X
                  > working right now with Xastir for APRS.  Might look for pilinbpq codeand contact John (G8BPQ)
                  > for more details.
                  >
                  > 73 Clayton N4EV
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • w4jpa
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                    Yes and thanks. Some real naive questions after a VERY QUICK read of his PI instructions (It's past 9pm in the UK now);

                    They note the use of HTML pages to Manage the site. Does this mean I'll need Apache on the PI?

                    The notes finish with a plethora of extras like Robust Packet, SCS Tracker, Pactor, SCS Pactor Controllers and DRAGON !!! Are any of these integral to the RMS Gate.

                    And finally; if a remote station comes in using a terminal program like PuTTY will they see a splash that, apart from RMS emailing etc), includes the BBS functions to create, save and read (none WL2K/RMS) messages?

                    Wow!
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                      Bob,

                      No, you don't need apache. A (very basic!) web server is part of LinBPQ.

                      The code supports any combination of the various HF mode controllers for access to either  the BBS or WL2K CMS.

                      You can customize the Telnet Server welcome message to include details of the services you are running.They can choose to connect to the BBS or RMS. If they are regular users, the BBS can collect their WL2K messages for them, so they can get both packet and WL2K mail in the same place.

                      73, John

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                        See below

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                          Excellent stuff gentleman!

                          Have I  just (yet again) learned something new – or is it semantics?

                          I’ve used HF to WL2K email via the CMS sites but was not aware the (VHF/UHF) RMS Gates were connecting via HF (Not part of my present scope but Hmmm! All the same).

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                            They normally aren't - but can be (that is basically what RMS relay does).

                            A BPQ system can have both HF and VHF ports, Normally messages from either are passed to the CMS system via the Internet, but it is posble to configure it so that if the local Internet is down the messages are passed to another system (BPQ or normal RMS) via any available rf links (packet or pactor, etc).

                            73, John

                            From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jerry
                            Sen t: Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:09 PM
                            To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                            See below

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                              A drawback with most RMS Gates is the possible loss of the internet connection in an emergency. We built it on the PI to make a 12 volt (only) small footprint station. Hopefully easily moved to a site that does have a connection. I’ll look into the HF side later (Better to walk before I run!)

                              Final question for now; I have AX.25 services running on the pi that’ll  be hosting the LinBPQ. Should it stay or go?

                              From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jerry
                              Sen t: Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:09 PM
                              To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                              See below

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                                No you don't.  Your access is via a web browser (included or the SD card.) using port 8080
                                The HTML files are what you will be using.  Not too up on the RMS stuff yet but the basic
                                BBS looks really good.

                                N4EV

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013
                                  The linux ax.25 stack won't normally be used - but if you have an application that needs it (eg dxspider), you can link the LinBPQ node to the linux stack. It won't do any harm to leave it there.

                                  73, John

                                  From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jerry
                                  Sen t: Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:09 PM
                                  To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                                  See below

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                                    Ok – But as I really want to see what happens and what interacts with what here - in the best principles of KISS I aim to start with a clean distro SD!

                                    73 BobJ

                                    From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jerry
                                    Sen t: Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:09 PM
                                    To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                                    See below

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 28, 2013

                                      Interesting – we’re going in reverse! My RMS Gate chirping away like a bird amd LinBQP planned for Tuesday.

                                      73 BobJ

                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 14, 2013
                                        Jerry

                                        Please send me the link as well.

                                        Thanks

                                        Rick

                                        Sent from my iPhone

                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 14, 2013
                                            Great,, let me know what you find, I'm hiking on the AT, I have a pitnc that I would also like to run BPQ on!

                                            Ill be back in late May, I'll get with you and I can share what I already have compiled for the RPI.

                                            Rick

                                            Sent from my iPhone

                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 14, 2013
                                              Instructions on setting up LinBPQ, which includes the Node, BBS and Chat server can be found here

                                              The document has links to download the software

                                              There are a couple of other links which may be of interest

                                              Installing BPQ on a Respberry PI

                                              Setting up an RMS Gateway

                                              73, John G8BPQ