Re: [BPQ32] help

  • Daryll Webb
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 25, 2013
      Thank u   I looked all over will take care of it
      Buster kg9nd

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 25, 2016
        Need some help

        Name hr Buster kg9nd

        When I send a message from one bpq sys to other bpq sys's I get this
        protocol error line should start with F Hr is a short example.

        04:33:11T KG9ND-1>KB9TYQ-1 Port=2 <RR C P R0> 04:33:14R KB9TYQ-1>KG9ND-1
        Port=2 <REJ R F R0> 04:33:14T KG9ND-1>KB9TYQ-1 Port=2 <I C S0 R0>
        NET/ROM KG9ND-2 to KB9TYQ-2 ttl 25 cct=058E <INFO S4
        R2>: 000000Uvluzmf{Duuz|^Vg-oZqo7<-]}nv ZXU/.-|?K?s}u
        3%I{|GRs%;,K/n/6jd?xVd$apaG >o5>MU@h_O_vJZ<w9sr[q N[p'e5\>g
        yx*"IM<^c5D3w-8RwLG^(P}F/lhPpBH/>(2;$)lk:s` %#Z&pJ*0Id=XRjjhdf$Ba 04:33:14T
        KG9ND-1>KB9TYQ-1 Port=2 <I C S1 R0> NET/ROM KG9ND-2 to KB9TYQ-2 ttl 25
        cct=058E <INFO S5 R2>: D}tvX~ur?d4ax6D>YN{7c/
        kgN?o y>?=%x=~`)n(0_w=nB;qp:?qqp}[Y\pwLG$N]5]O_F8v;AfqI@#}\>U\ws!qm!?~
        $EF "DM<,9e_{u"X`B$Z9(2aCbnfPNh~*vx0%dZmG"U*+cdA/"^#V#=P=VyDL}ly\mL/Py": AiHn-G?41D&= 04:33:14T
        KG9ND-1>KB9TYQ-1 Port=2 <I C S2 R0> NET/ROM KG9ND-2 to KB9TYQ-2 ttl 25
        cct=058E <INFO S6 R3>: D|pr?)e[$iMt*)i%kmv#<)X-=X-|E=k+{)5!C52X(Mja)
        rH WpWr&G,'g%D"]"we.@7lCUU1];uL}HauUUUDgSX)$X^Q0Vk2i/9$9K'gT5AoyRz<0,?!>c~(T_5A!@j&) xU^@EG8yh`C}zh 04:33:14T
        KG9ND-1>KB9TYQ-1 Port=2 <I C P S3 R0> NET/ROM KG9ND-2 to KB9TYQ-2 ttl
        25 cct=058E <INFO S7 R3>: *** Protocol Error - Line should start with 'F'

        Some times a restart on the program will fix and some times I will
        reboot the pc and will fix.

        Other times it will fix it self over a day or so.

        If anyone else has seen this please pass the fix along.

        Thanks Buster kg9nd
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 29, 2016
          Buster

          F Line Protocol Error is usually from a mismatch in FBB Protocol calls
          One station may have only Binary selected in the manage forwarding, the
          other station may have Binary & B1 or B2 selected, I can not tell as the SID
          exchange in your capture is missing this is an example of Binary only no B1
          or B2

          [BPQ-6.0.12.35-BFIHJM$]

          If the other station sends out the same but with a 1 included in the SID you
          or the other station will receive the F Protocol Error, they must match.

          I have one BBS running LINFBB using Binary & B1, no matter what I try the
          only way I can send messages/bulls is uncompressed ASCII (Plain Text) if
          this is happening with only one BBS try using No Binary, as to why
          restarting or waiting and it clears up
          I can not tell with out seeing the SID exchange.

          I hope this help you out.

          73

          Mike Melnik-N9PMO
          BPQ32 Yahoo Group moderator
        • buster
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 29, 2016

            out standing     fix    so far

            thanks

            b1 checked on a few  don't know how but removed and no errors

            nice to have help

            thanks again

            Buster kg9nd

            On 4/29/2016 2:29 PM, 'Mike Melnik' mmelnik1@... [BPQ32] wrote:

[...]

          • W6IDS
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 29, 2016

              Buster,

              Every one of my station records show Binary andB2 Checked.

              Howard W6IDS

              Richmond, IN

              Message 7 of 17 , Apr 29, 2016
                Howard

                If B1 or B2 is selected each one over rides the other, in other words if you
                have B2 selected
                Normally for WL2K or if one wants to send attachments in a packet message.

                You really do not need Binary & B1 checked, B2 will include the two, same
                with just B1 enabled
                this will enable Binary.

                If the BBS you are connecting to or visa versa and the two SID'S don't
                match, the F protocol error
                Will be received and the message may not be sent.

                These selections may be should thought out bit more between all BBS'S, there
                are other BBS
                Programs that do not support the B2 (attachment) protocol.

                The ISP Interface Packet < - > Email is excluded from sending attachments.

                This is just my suggestion.

                Message 8 of 17 , Apr 30, 2016
                  You betcha, Mike. Many thanks for that input. I don't recall it coming
                  up for
                  discussion during my initial setup quite some time ago. I am going to
                  take a
                  peek into that later today.

                  What I just noticed is that when I just now changed a station's Binary
                  status
                  to unchecked, saved it, then went back to look, "Allow Binary" was
                  automagically
                  checked again. "B2" already checked. Hmm. . . .noticed that before but it
                  wasn't something I questioned. I just now did that with two other records.

                  There had been an issue or two with the protocol error some time ago, but it
                  turned out to be the other station not having "B2" selected. It did not
                  occur
                  to me that some systems might not support B2.

                  Thank you, Sir. This will help with local discussions about the "F"
                  protocol
                  error.

                  Howard W6IDS
                  Richmond, IN

                  On 4/30/2016 1:49 AM, 'Mike Melnik' mmelnik1@... [BPQ32] wrote:
                  > Howard
                  >
                  > If B1 or B2 is selected each one over rides the other, in other words if you
                  > have B2 selected
                  > Normally for WL2K or if one wants to send attachments in a packet message.
                  >
                  > You really do not need Binary & B1 checked, B2 will include the two, same
                  > with just B1 enabled
                  > this will enable Binary.

                  <SNIP>
                  Message 9 of 17 , Apr 30, 2016
                    Howard

                    John explain it better then I did, what you described where you unchecked
                    B2, Save, then return to the manage forwarding to find B2 or Binary checked
                    again sounds a bit like you may have more then one BPQ Mail Server Process
                    running.

                    Message 10 of 17 , Apr 30, 2016
                      Heh. . . no, Mike. Only ONE instance here.

                      In my description, "B2" is checked and remains so. The focus was on the
                      "Allow Binary". . . . . .

                      I have been running with "B2" and "Allow Binary" both checked. In my
                      initial setup
                      days, lots of info was coming in at once. So, it did not catch my
                      attention as to
                      how the Binary status was responding.

                      I guess I had simply accepted the Allow Binary being checked all the
                      time. I did not
                      see the relationship between that and "B2" being checked and, due to
                      inexperience,
                      failed to see the need to ask about it. Some things I just accepted to
                      keep moving.

                      In my other message, I was sharing the moment of discovery for me, as it
                      were.
                      I was flexing the Binary status, by unchecking it, with "B2" remaining
                      checked.
                      When I saved the information, and then went back to look, "Allow Binary" was
                      check AGAIN - as before. It happened "automagically" and it wasn't
                      until you
                      and John discussed it that I put 2 X 2 together.

                      I did this because of Buster's observation of the Binary setting. He
                      seemed to
                      think that he might have been "careless" in his management of the
                      settings, with
                      some Binaries checked and some not checked. That caught my attention
                      because
                      I had seen Binary unchecked and checked myself. So, I went further and
                      did the
                      same look into a couple of other user station's Forwarding info and
                      found the
                      same result. Binary was always ending up checked. You and John put it into
                      clarity for me. It also touched Buster's situation.

                      I now know consistency needs to be verified between stations regarding such
                      settings. It had not been clear until you and John explained. Now,
                      that is not
                      to diminish all the help I've received from various sources over time.
                      It's just
                      that the subject did not get framed until your messages.

                      For myself, many thanks to you and John.

                      Howard W6IDS
                      Richmond, IN