Re: [BPQ32] BPQ32 w/ Alinco built in TNC ?

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008
      I tried xp pro and 2000Pro also lots of folks had issues with them on the
      pactor systems.

      Might be more rf immunity issues than bad hardware.

      Jim

      James C Moore PE WU3V
      103 Freedom DR
      Lawrence, PA
      http://www.axcera.com
      Definitive is the source!
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008
        The Alinco TNC has a Tasco chip set.  Google on that and you'll see a world of problems.
        It works until more than a trivial amount of data is sent outgoing, and then the lack of buffering and the lack of correctly following the flow control protocol lead to data being dropped.  This is also true of the same chip set in the DR700 Kenwood radios.  It would have been trivial to make it work, and the radio manufacturers seem oblivious.  Technically they only advertise these chipsets for use with APRS, and for that it's fine.  So near, yet so far......

        Al

        Jeff wrote:
        Okay it sounds like many are using the USB to Serial adapters with
        varying levels of sucess/issues.  Good deal, opens up some options for
        my plans.

        So while I'm at it researching options, allow me one more question.

        Anyone had any experience with the Alinco TNC's you can install in
        their DR-x35 series radio?  I think the part number is EJ41U.  It's a
        1200/9600 TNC.

        Work okay for a all-in-one node radio at either speed?

        Modem decent or horrible sensitivity like the modems in the Kenwood
        APRS rigs (aka the D7 handheld)?

        Thanks

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:BPQ32-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:BPQ32-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Cap Pennell
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008
          Right, so what you want to plug into these Alinco DR-135 radios instead is Scott N1VG's OpenTracker2, model T2-135.
          73, Cap KE6AFE

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Cap Pennell" <ke6afe@...> wrote:

            > Right, so what you want to plug into these Alinco DR-135 radios
            instead is
            > Scott N1VG's OpenTracker2, model T2-135.
            > http://www.argentdata.com/products/tracker2.html
            > 73, Cap KE6AFE

            Looks to have the same limitations of the Alinco board, minimal KISS
            support and buffering. Maybe just a bit better, but still not a full
            internal TNC from what I read, could be wrong ;-)

            http://www.argentdata.com/support/faq.html

            73
            Jeff
            WA4ZKO
          • Cap Pennell
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
              Yep, KISS works. Also, full support from designer/builder/seller Scott N1VG
              and others on the 557 member yahoo group:
              73, Cap