AEA PK 88 Help Please

  • Adrian Rees
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2013
      Hi all
      I am new to Packet Radio, although I am keen to have a go.

      I am struggling to get BPQ32 connected to the TNC.

      The situation is that the TNC is connected to Comm 1 on a windows XP
      Workstation. Using Hyperterminal I can connect to the TNC and have been
      monitoring packet traffic on 144.8 Mhz here in the UK.

      What I now want to do is get BPQ32 talking to the TNC, and ultimately
      via a web site.

      Can someone steer me in the right direction ?

      How is BPQ configured? Seems to be an API to a .dll file that loads up a
      config file and the running API is accessed by a terminal (of some sort)
      is this correct ?

      Help please !

      Cheers

      Adrian MW1LCR
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12, 2013
        Hi Adrian,
        Using Hyperterm, place your TNC into KISS mode. The commands should be in your PK88 manual.
        Then, shut down Hyperterm and start BPQ and see if that works.
        The VHF setup in BPQ is fairly generic as long as you use the KISS mode. Use the sample config John provides to get started.
        That is the way I start my MFJ when I need to.
        73
        Dave
        WB2HVF

        On 4/12/2013 4:39 PM, Adrian Rees wrote:

        Hi all
        I am new to Packet Radio, although I am keen to have a go.

        I am struggling to get BPQ32 connected to the TNC.

        The situation is that the TNC is connected to Comm 1 on a windows XP
        Workstation. Using Hyperterminal I can connect to the TNC and have been
        monitoring packet traffic on 144.8 Mhz here in the UK.

        What I now want to do is get BPQ32 talking to the TNC, and ultimately
        via a web site.

        Can someone steer me in the right direction ?

        How is BPQ configured? Seems to be an API to a .dll file that loads up a
        config file and the running API is accessed by a terminal (of some sort)
        is this correct ?

        Help please !

        Cheers

        Adrian MW1LCR

      • g4irx_uk
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
          Hi Adrian,

          You will need the PK88 to be in KISS mode.

          Some of the early PK88 firmware was a bit unreliable in KISS mode but if you have one dated 1991 then that should be OK as it has the facility to enable John's extended KISS mode with polling and checksums.

          If you need PDF copies of the manuals then let me know and I can post some links.

          73
          Nick.

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Rees <rees.a@...> wrote:

          > Hi all
          > I am new to Packet Radio, although I am keen to have a go.
          >
          > I am struggling to get BPQ32 connected to the TNC.
          >
          > The situation is that the TNC is connected to Comm 1 on a windows XP
          > Workstation. Using Hyperterminal I can connect to the TNC and have been
          > monitoring packet traffic on 144.8 Mhz here in the UK.
          >
          > What I now want to do is get BPQ32 talking to the TNC, and ultimately
          > via a web site.
          >
          > Can someone steer me in the right direction ?
          >
          > How is BPQ configured? Seems to be an API to a .dll file that loads up a
          > config file and the running API is accessed by a terminal (of some sort)
          > is this correct ?
          >
          > Help please !
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Adrian MW1LCR

        • Adrian Rees
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
            Hi all

            Thanks for the replies.

            I've re-set the PK88 I have, then initialized it, as per the manual, and
            sent the command KISS ON

            However I am struggling getting BPQ to work. I found a bunch of web
            pages about editing the BPQ32.CFG file. However the web pages seem to be
            out of step with the version of BPQ32.CFG I am trying to edit. I guess
            the version of the software I am using is more up to date?

            Anyway can someone tell me have I got the following right...?

            I configure the BPQ32.CFG file to use my PK88 (on Com Port 1..the real
            com port) in KISS mode?

            I then run BPQCFG.EXE to compile the config file.

            I then run BPQ ?

            As an aside is there a piece of software that I can use to connect to my
            PK88 (in KISS mode) to confirm its working correctly ? Its working fine
            when not i KISS mode...

            Thanks

            Adrian MW1LCR

            On 13/04/2013 14:10, g4irx_uk wrote:

            > Hi Adrian,
            >
            > You will need the PK88 to be in KISS mode.
            >
            > Some of the early PK88 firmware was a bit unreliable in KISS mode but if you have one dated 1991 then that should be OK as it has the facility to enable John's extended KISS mode with polling and checksums.
            >
            > If you need PDF copies of the manuals then let me know and I can post some links.
            >
            > 73
            > Nick.
            >
            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Rees <rees.a@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi all
            >> I am new to Packet Radio, although I am keen to have a go.
            >>
            >> I am struggling to get BPQ32 connected to the TNC.
            >>
            >> The situation is that the TNC is connected to Comm 1 on a windows XP
            >> Workstation. Using Hyperterminal I can connect to the TNC and have been
            >> monitoring packet traffic on 144.8 Mhz here in the UK.
            >>
            >> What I now want to do is get BPQ32 talking to the TNC, and ultimately
            >> via a web site.
            >>
            >> Can someone steer me in the right direction ?
            >>
            >> How is BPQ configured? Seems to be an API to a .dll file that loads up a
            >> config file and the running API is accessed by a terminal (of some sort)
            >> is this correct ?
            >>
            >> Help please !
            >>
            >> Cheers
            >>
            >> Adrian MW1LCR

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 13, 2013
              On 4/13/2013 2:02 PM, Adrian Rees wrote:
              > I then run BPQCFG.EXE to compile the config file.
              No. As far as I know this does not apply to the more recent versions.

              Read the instructions in the following link. I believe you should pay
              particular attention to the minimal setup for starters. This will prove
              the installation. Then follow the instructions for the medium setup,
              using the examples referred to for a starting point.
              If you are using Windows 7 or 8, the examples folder will be where the
              BPQ32.cfg is installed.

              http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm

              73
              Dave