BPQ32 w/ Alinco built in TNC ?

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008
      Okay it sounds like many are using the USB to Serial adapters with
      varying levels of sucess/issues. Good deal, opens up some options for
      my plans.

      So while I'm at it researching options, allow me one more question.

      Anyone had any experience with the Alinco TNC's you can install in
      their DR-x35 series radio? I think the part number is EJ41U. It's a
      1200/9600 TNC.

      Work okay for a all-in-one node radio at either speed?

      Modem decent or horrible sensitivity like the modems in the Kenwood
      APRS rigs (aka the D7 handheld)?

      Thanks

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008
        I tried xp pro and 2000Pro also lots of folks had issues with them on the
        pactor systems.

        Might be more rf immunity issues than bad hardware.

        Jim

        James C Moore PE WU3V
        103 Freedom DR
        Lawrence, PA
        http://www.axcera.com
        Definitive is the source!
        > Okay it sounds like many are using the USB to Serial adapters with
        > varying levels of sucess/issues. Good deal, opens up some options for
        > my plans.
        >
        > So while I'm at it researching options, allow me one more question.
        >
        > Anyone had any experience with the Alinco TNC's you can install in
        > their DR-x35 series radio? I think the part number is EJ41U. It's a
        > 1200/9600 TNC.
        >
        > Work okay for a all-in-one node radio at either speed?
        >
        > Modem decent or horrible sensitivity like the modems in the Kenwood
        > APRS rigs (aka the D7 handheld)?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > 73
        > Jeff
        > WA4ZKO

      • Al
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008
          The Alinco TNC has a Tasco chip set.  Google on that and you'll see a world of problems.
          It works until more than a trivial amount of data is sent outgoing, and then the lack of buffering and the lack of correctly following the flow control protocol lead to data being dropped.  This is also true of the same chip set in the DR700 Kenwood radios.  It would have been trivial to make it work, and the radio manufacturers seem oblivious.  Technically they only advertise these chipsets for use with APRS, and for that it's fine.  So near, yet so far......

          Al

          Jeff wrote:
          Okay it sounds like many are using the USB to Serial adapters with
          varying levels of sucess/issues.  Good deal, opens up some options for
          my plans.

          So while I'm at it researching options, allow me one more question.

          Anyone had any experience with the Alinco TNC's you can install in
          their DR-x35 series radio?  I think the part number is EJ41U.  It's a
          1200/9600 TNC.

          Work okay for a all-in-one node radio at either speed?

          Modem decent or horrible sensitivity like the modems in the Kenwood
          APRS rigs (aka the D7 handheld)?

          Thanks

          73
          Jeff
          WA4ZKO

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:BPQ32-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:BPQ32-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Cap Pennell
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2008
            Right, so what you want to plug into these Alinco DR-135 radios instead is Scott N1VG's OpenTracker2, model T2-135.
            73, Cap KE6AFE

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Cap Pennell" <ke6afe@...> wrote:

              > Right, so what you want to plug into these Alinco DR-135 radios
              instead is
              > Scott N1VG's OpenTracker2, model T2-135.
              > http://www.argentdata.com/products/tracker2.html
              > 73, Cap KE6AFE

              Looks to have the same limitations of the Alinco board, minimal KISS
              support and buffering. Maybe just a bit better, but still not a full
              internal TNC from what I read, could be wrong ;-)

              http://www.argentdata.com/support/faq.html

              73
              Jeff
              WA4ZKO
            • Cap Pennell
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 14, 2008
                Yep, KISS works. Also, full support from designer/builder/seller Scott N1VG
                and others on the 557 member yahoo group:
                73, Cap