TNC KISS Init utility

  • Neil Hughes
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2013
      Has anyone got a little tnc KISS init utility that will handle virtual com
      ports?

      I'm running a pair of Elcomm USB uTNTs tnc on a remote WL2K VHF/UHF RMS
      Packet station.

      These little USB tncs drop out of KISS into Command mode each time the
      computer restarts, and have to be manually placed in KISS before starting
      BPQ32. The commands I need are "KISS ON" and "RESTART", then the tncs look
      like TNC2s.

      The TNC Init utilities that are in the "BPQ32 Files" section are quite old
      and will only work with hardware addresses, not virtual com ports (COM3,
      COM4).

      I could use AGW Packet Engine to handle the two USB tncs, then (I think?)
      run the BPQ32 to AGWPE interface, but that seems messy.

      Thanks.

      Neil
      VE1YZ
      Winlink Development Team
    • wavetel1
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2013
        Neil,

        Ive just uploaded a exe file to the files section of the group. I thought this was up there already but I could not find it there.
        SetTnc.exe works with Windows API as far as I can tell. You can also download it here
        http://nl3asd.tripod.com/sally.html

        You could put this together as a batch file to run up on startup.
        Read the instructions/help when you run it up. I included a readme file in there also. I have a couple of batch files on the desktop of my packet PC which are handy. I usually put the exe in the windows folder but it probably does not matter these days.

        73 Tony VK5AH

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Neil Hughes <netlink@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone got a little tnc KISS init utility that will handle virtual com
        > ports?
        >
        > I'm running a pair of Elcomm USB uTNTs tnc on a remote WL2K VHF/UHF RMS
        > Packet station.
        >
        > These little USB tncs drop out of KISS into Command mode each time the
        > computer restarts, and have to be manually placed in KISS before starting
        > BPQ32. The commands I need are "KISS ON" and "RESTART", then the tncs look
        > like TNC2s.
        >
        > The TNC Init utilities that are in the "BPQ32 Files" section are quite old
        > and will only work with hardware addresses, not virtual com ports (COM3,
        > COM4).
        >
        > I could use AGW Packet Engine to handle the two USB tncs, then (I think?)
        > run the BPQ32 to AGWPE interface, but that seems messy.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Neil
        > VE1YZ
        > Winlink Development Team

      • David Bird
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2013
          Neil,

          The AGWPE can be configured to init a TNC into KISS mode and reset to HOST mode on exit. I do not have any experience with the USB tnc but I use this trick with most of my external TNC and BPQtoAGW with the BPQ tools.

          73, Dave
          WA7RYV

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2013
            Thanks Tony.

            That is exactly what I was looking for.

            Works fine with the USB uTNT on a virtual com port.

            73,
            Neil
            VE1YZ

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "wavetel1" <wavetel@...> wrote:

            > Neil,
            >
            > Ive just uploaded a exe file to the files section of the group. I thought this was up there already but I could not find it there.
            > SetTnc.exe works with Windows API as far as I can tell. You can also download it here
            > http://nl3asd.tripod.com/sally.html
            >
            > You could put this together as a batch file to run up on startup.
            > Read the instructions/help when you run it up. I included a readme file in there also. I have a couple of batch files on the desktop of my packet PC which are handy. I usually put the exe in the windows folder but it probably does not matter these days.
            >
            > 73 Tony VK5AH
            >
            > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Neil Hughes <netlink@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Has anyone got a little tnc KISS init utility that will handle virtual com
            > > ports?
            > >
            > > I'm running a pair of Elcomm USB uTNTs tnc on a remote WL2K VHF/UHF RMS
            > > Packet station.
            > >
            > > These little USB tncs drop out of KISS into Command mode each time the
            > > computer restarts, and have to be manually placed in KISS before starting
            > > BPQ32. The commands I need are "KISS ON" and "RESTART", then the tncs look
            > > like TNC2s.
            > >
            > > The TNC Init utilities that are in the "BPQ32 Files" section are quite old
            > > and will only work with hardware addresses, not virtual com ports (COM3,
            > > COM4).
            > >
            > > I could use AGW Packet Engine to handle the two USB tncs, then (I think?)
            > > run the BPQ32 to AGWPE interface, but that seems messy.
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > Neil
            > > VE1YZ
            > > Winlink Development Team

          • PD0SNK
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2013
              Kissinit works great for every tnc i ever used.
              Its in the file section here i believe. or i can send it to you.

              Danny PA2SNK