RE: [BPQ32] Chat questions

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2013
      Tony

      For you to log in to the chat server or mail server via web, you need to
      edit
      You bpq32 telnet user as follows:
      USER=call,password,call,"",SYSOP

      Mike N9PMO
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2013
        Mike,
        Thanks for the clue on editing the telnet config. That works now.

        Some more questions on the chat server. Ive found that after 7200 seconds or 2 hrs that you are forcibly disconnected from the server. This may well be a function of the Node connection rather than the Chat server. I have Keepalive enabled and this is working.
        I can not see where abouts in the configs that 2 hrs or 7200 seconds comes into play that it would disconnect.
        Any ideas ?
        Also is there a way that I can arrange for users to connect directly into the chat server on login to the node without having to type "chat" ? That would be a handy thing.
        Ive been using BPQ32 for years but never played with these features really.

        Thanks

        Tony VK5AH

        > Tony
        >
        > For you to log in to the chat server or mail server via web, you need to
        > edit
        > You bpq32 telnet user as follows:
        > USER=call,password,call,"",SYSOP
        >

        > Mike N9PMO
        > www.n9pmo.com

      • Harold Kinchelow
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2013

          Tony, I believe the disconnect timer is hard coded in the chat server.

          Sent from a smartphone.  Owner makes typo's for sure.

          On Mar 31, 2013 6:36 PM, "wavetel1" <wavetel@...> wrote:

          Mike,
          Thanks for the clue on editing the telnet config. That works now.

          Some more questions on the chat server. Ive found that after 7200 seconds or 2 hrs that you are forcibly disconnected from the server. This may well be a function of the Node connection rather than the Chat server. I have Keepalive enabled and this is working.
          I can not see where abouts in the configs that 2 hrs or 7200 seconds comes into play that it would disconnect.
          Any ideas ?
          Also is there a way that I can arrange for users to connect directly into the chat server on login to the node without having to type "chat" ? That would be a handy thing.
          Ive been using BPQ32 for years but never played with these features really.

          Thanks

          Tony VK5AH

          > Tony
          >
          > For you to log in to the chat server or mail server via web, you need to
          > edit
          > You bpq32 telnet user as follows:
          > USER=call,password,call,"",SYSOP
          >

          > Mike N9PMO
          > www.n9pmo.com

        • wavetel1
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2013
            Harold,

            I know what your saying. But I dont know for sure. Maybee John knows . If its hard coded into the server then whats the point of the keepalive feature ? There seems to be another timer apart from the keepalive one comming into play and it completely disconnects the node and not just the chat server. So that makes me think theres another timer in the BPQ config.
            It would be good if one could sit there and use the keepalive feature to just monitor a chat without having to make a comment every 2 hours to keep it connected. Perhaps this does not make sense to some folks but it does to me.

            regards
            Tony Vk5ah

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2013
              Tony,

              There are two timeouts, and a number of ways to get round them.

              First the network level timeout - the IDLETIME in the node config. This is normally 15 minutes, but can be varied by individual sysops.This is reset by traffic in etiher direction.

              The chat server has a two hour disconnect timer. This is only reset by input from the user, not by data received from other uers.

              There is a chat server setting /Keepalive which when enabed sends you a message after around 10 minutes without any other output. This will reset the network IDLETIME and keep you connected for two hours (7200 seconds) without input. This can be used however you are connecting to Chat.

              If you are using one one the BPQ Terminals (Chat Console, BPQ32 MDI Terminal Window, BPQTerminal or BPQTermTCP), there is a "Chat Terminal Mode" flag under options. This sends a couple of NULL characters after 10 minute or so of inactivity.These reset the Chat Server timeout, but are otherwise ignored. WIth this setting, you can remain connected essentially for ever, aprat from Node or Network failures.

              73, John

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2013
                John,

                I think Ive found a problem then. As I said. Ive got keepalive enabled. And yes Ive found the 2 hr timeout and watched till it disconnected even though Ive got the "chat terminal mode" enabled in the bpqtcpip terminal. I am using version 1.0.5.1 bpqtcpip terminal.
                I get *** Disconnected - Idle time exceeded

                It would be good if the 2 hr timeout could be accessed as a variable in the bpq config perhaps or in the chatserver itself. This way even basic telnet clients could have a longer or shorter idle timeout.
                For me something a bit longer up to 10hrs would be good. I am playing with mobile devices via Telnet logins so options for sending nulls etc are not always that easy to arrange.
                Note I have IDLETIME=1800 in the bpq config file.

                Thanks Tony VK5AH