USB serial adapters?

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008
      Anyone used the USB to serial port adapters with BPQ32? Solid or quirky?

      Thanks in advance.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
    • Jerry - N9LYA
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008

        Hi Jeff..

        I have a Prolific USB Serial port adapter on my BPQ Machine used to link to a Kantronics KAM. Only problem I have had is with the TNC dropping out of KISS mode if powered down, but no adapter problems…

        I have tried to use others.. Some are headaches some are not…

        I saw on a different reflector.. That if you get drivers from the Chip manufacturer instead of the Adapter manufacturer you will have no problems..???

        Hope this helps in some way. 73 jerry

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008
          I use one every day with my PK-900 and BPQ32 with FBB. Never a problem.
          I also use the same model on a 1278B on another machine with no problems.

          Belkin F5U409-CU

          73 Dave
          n4zkf

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008
            I use 3 of the Hawking units (amazon.com) and they are flawless I had a belkin
            unit and it became a trashcan liner! Might work ok in int driven service but
            for extended host mode it was useless.

            Jim wu3v

            Quoting Jeff <wa4zko@...>:

            > Anyone used the USB to serial port adapters with BPQ32? Solid or quirky?
            >
            > Thanks in advance.
            >
            > 73
            > Jeff
            > WA4ZKO

          • David Calder
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008
              Huh, funny. Mine work well. PK900 in extended to use both ports at the same time.

              73 Dave
              n4zkf

            • james@wu3v.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008

                Yes I know folks that they work well for and others that not.

                Maybe there was a bad production run?

                Who knows the rule of thumb here is once bitten twice shy!

                Jim

                Quoting David Calder :

                Huh, funny. Mine work well. PK900 in extended to use both ports at the same time.

                73 Dave
                n4zkf

                I use 3 of the Hawking units (amazon.com) and they are flawless I had a belkin
                unit and it became a trashcan liner! Might work ok in int driven service but
                for extended host mode it was useless.

                Jim wu3v

                Quoting Jeff <wa4zko@yahoo. com>:

                > Anyone used the USB to serial port adapters with BPQ32? Solid or quirky?
                >
                > Thanks in advance.
                >
                > 73
                > Jeff
                > WA4ZKO

              • David Calder
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008
                              I hear you. What OS are you running them on? This is not the first time I
                              was told people had problems with Belkin. I'd like to know why they work
                              for some and not others.

                              The two I bought, were bought 1 year apart also. But that doesn't mean much
                              they look identical.'

                              Dave

                  I use 3 of the Hawking units (amazon.com) and they are flawless I had a belkin
                  unit and it became a trashcan liner! Might work ok in int driven service but
                  for extended host mode it was useless.

                  Jim wu3v

                  Quoting Jeff <wa4zko@yahoo. com>:

                  > Anyone used the USB to serial port adapters with BPQ32? Solid or quirky?
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance.
                  >
                  > 73
                  > Jeff
                  > WA4ZKO