BPQ32_6.0.1.1_20130322 including BPQMail, BPQChat and BPQAPRS is now available

  • n5in_ron
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2013
      A new release, BPQ32_6.0.1.1_20130322, for Windows, is available for download
      at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BPQ32/

      John Wiseman, G8BPQ, has created a common code base for BPQ32 allowing both
      Windows and Linux versions to be produced.

      This release updates BPQ32.dll, BPQMail, BPQChat, BPQTermTCP and BPQUIUtil,
      BPQAPRS.

      BPQMail (a BBS system) and BPQChat (a Chat system) replaces BPQMailChat.

      BPQMailChat is still provided, and can be used for mail, but it will likely be
      dropped from the next release. The provided shortcuts for BPQMailChat actually
      point to BPQMail with the goal of easing the transition.

      BPQ32 now has a basic Web Interface option. This provides Browser access to some
      node status displays, and a simple Web Terminal for access to the Network. It
      can also act as Web Server for other BPQ32 Applications, such as BPQAPRS

      BPQAPRS is an APRS mapping and messaging application first introduced in
      BPQ32_5.2.4.1_20120130. BPQAPRS at its current state of development is a viable
      replacement for UIView32 for many users and in addition is under active
      development to add additional capability. The BPQ32 digipeater is "New n-N
      Paradigm " compliant and provides enough objects to fully support the Local Info
      Initiative. A configuration example is provided to quickly get you 'on the
      air'. The BPQAPRS program provides mapping using the on-line OpenStreetMap and
      reliable messaging, to the degree this is possible, with the existing
      infrastructure.

      As a reminder, you must have all of your node configuration in BPQ32.cfg.

      BPQ32_5.2.1.3_20111018,was the last to support both the new method, all the node
      configuration statements combined into BPQ32.cfg, as well as the old method of
      separate configuration files. If you currently have separate config files, a
      smooth transition to the new system would be to first install
      BPQ32_5.2.1.3_20111018, which you can find in the files section of the BPQ32
      Yahoo Group, and make the changes to your configuration using that version.
      Once successful, the subsequent upgrade to BPQ32_5.2.9.1_20120925 followed by
      BPQ32_6.0.1.1_20130322 should proceed with ease.

      My installer is also capable of converting an existing non-compliant
      installation to a Microsoft compliant installation. In brief, Microsoft has
      been, since the introduction of Windows XP, recommending that an installation be
      split in to a "program files" part and an "application data" part. This was not
      enforced in Windows XP but it is being enforced in Vista and Windows 7. Many
      programs have been installed in the root, such as C:\Ham Programs to get around
      this recommendation, but the result is annoying UAC popups...'do you really
      trust this program' etc. If you have used this workaround, you can, after
      installing this most recent release, do an uninstall, which will preserve your
      configuration, and then do a reinstall taking all the defaults. The result will
      be to divide your installation properly into %programfiles%\bpq32 and
      %appdata%\bpq32.

      Help will be available in the users group should you have questions.

      The changelog is here:
      http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#Chan\
      gelog

      Thanks to John Wiseman G8BPQ/GM8BPQ for his tireless work enhancing BPQ32!

      73 de Ron Stordahl, AE5E (ex N5IN)
    • n5in_ron
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 23, 2013
        Opps! Wrong subject line...corrected!

        I agree! I was a BPQ user from way back. As best as I can recall I contacted
        John in 2005 to see if I could encourage him to make what I said were 'a few
        small improvements'. He responded that he was soon to retire and then would
        have the time to perhaps do so.

        I also found out that his dream was sailing, on the ocean no less! As such it
        would have to wait until the sailing season was over.

        I wasn't expecting such a commitment, just 'a few small improvements'.

        Instead he has dived in with endless improvements and enhancements. Clearly John
        loves ham radio and programming. It must be in his genes! Whatever it is we
        are all benefiting.

        I recall saying to John that I bet he never realized what he was getting into.
        Perhaps it had become a millstone around his neck. He responded that his wife
        thinks he is crazy. That is obviously an exaggeration but not by much.

        During the summer sailing season John has relied upon WiFi connections in ports
        of call to send me updates.

        I started this Yahoo Group in 2005 to distribute his new versions. In 2011 I
        dived back into programming, I once programmed mainframes in macro assembler
        language. This time it was to create a powerful installer to assist users in
        installing BPQ32 on their Windows machines.

        The installer is now up to 2500 lines of code, largely due to the complexity of
        complying with Microsoft's requirements enforced with Vista and above. Also a
        lot of the code enables transitions from earlier releases. The net effect is, I
        hope, smooth installs with little hand holding required.

        So all in all this has been quite a learning experience, and enjoyable as well.

        So thanks again John!

        Ron Stordahl, AE5E

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, David Bird <db.mediaint@...> wrote:

        > John and All,
        >
        > I marvel at the time and dedication put into the BPQ32 tools. Thank you so
        much for all this work when you would rather be sailing.

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "n5in_ron" <ron_n5in@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > enforced in Windows XP but it is being enforced in Vista and Windows 7. Many
        > programs have been installed in the root, such as C:\Ham Programs to get around
        > this recommendation, but the result is annoying UAC popups...'do you really
        > trust this program' etc. If you have used this workaround, you can, after
        > installing this most recent release, do an uninstall, which will preserve your
        > configuration, and then do a reinstall taking all the defaults. The result will
        > be to divide your installation properly into %programfiles%\bpq32 and
        > %appdata%\bpq32.
        >
        > Help will be available in the users group should you have questions.
        >
        > The changelog is here:
        > http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#Chan\
        > gelog
        >
        > Thanks to John Wiseman G8BPQ/GM8BPQ for his tireless work enhancing BPQ32!

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 23, 2013
          On 3/22/2013 8:43 PM, n5in_ron wrote:
          > BPQ32 now has a basic Web Interface option. This provides Browser
          > access to some
          > node status displays, and a simple Web Terminal for access to the
          > Network. It
          > can also act as Web Server for other BPQ32 Applications, such as BPQAPRS

          That is really a neat feature! I like it.
          One question though. The first time I tried it out, I saw a way to login
          for messages from the BBS. Now it seems not to be there. Was I seeing
          things?
          John, I agree with the previous posts. Thank you for all your work.
          73
          Dave
          WB2HVF
        • Jerry
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 23, 2013

            Ron…. Thanks for all you have done as well!!!  J 73 jerry

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 24, 2013
              Dave,

              you can connect to the BBS via the Web Terminal. There has never been direct Web access to BBS messages.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 24, 2013
                Thanks John
                I guess I thought I saw something I didn't. That would explain why I couldn't get it back.
                73
                Dave