[LinBPQ] Re: Email bug.

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013

      John, I can send an email > packet, read it on the BBS, reply to the message (SR msg#), and read it via email – I then replied to this email and got it on the LinBPQ BBS …

      I then sent an email to packet message to another user who uses a different BBS (that BBS and my BBS forward to each other) .. I was expecting the packet message to pick up the HA route from WP (this user is in the WP), but it didn’t and therefore the message would be stuck on my BBS and never be forwarded ..

      73, Dick ZS6RO

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
        I'm pretty sure I added a mechanism to address a message to a user at another bbs - I'll see if I can find the details.

        Too many changes and too short a memory!

        73, John

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013

          Thanks John, sorry to plague you with all these requests - *Sigh …

          Another point – often I see some other BPQ Node has a later version to mine and I never saw any mention of it on these pages – so now like a broken telephone which doesn’t ring, I must pick up the phone to check if anyone is calling me (meaning I have to download the file from your site on a regular basis and check the file sizes  ..

          73, Dick ZS6RO

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
            Found it.

            You can add an @HA to the TO call - but as you cant have two @ in a message, replace the first with a | so

            73, John

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013

              This would make it ‘messy’ for the email author to have to do things differently to the norm and putting the onus on him will create mistakes  ..

              Wouldn’t it be easier if LinBPQ BBS checks the WP and pulls the relevant info and adds the @HA to the incoming message .. the BBS would then know what to do with the message ..

              Usually an email author would be responding to the email which was created on the BBS – if the user who originated the ‘email’ was on another BBS, his packet message would pass through the WP and that user’s info would be created in that BBS’s WP … When a packet user creates a message, the BBS looks at the WP …

              73, Dick ZS6RO

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              Found it.

              You can add an @HA to the TO call - but as you cant have two @ in a message, replace the first with a | so

              gm8bpq+call@...@... becomes gm8bpq+call|bbs.gbr.eu@...

              73, John

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 19, 2013
                The author already has to put the BBS+ on front of the address. so it is hardly intuative at the moment.

                I think the option to specify the route is useful, but I guess there is no reason not to check HomeBBS and WP if a route is not specified.

                John

                This would make it ‘messy’ for the email author to have to do things differently to the norm and putting the onus on him will create mistakes  ..

                Wouldn’t it be easier if LinBPQ BBS checks the WP and pulls the relevant info and adds the @HA to the incoming message .. the BBS would then know what to do with the message ..

                Usually an email author would be responding to the email which was created on the BBS – if the user who originated the ‘email’ was on another BBS, his packet message would pass through the WP and that user’s info would be created in that BBS’s WP … When a packet user creates a message, the BBS looks at the WP …

                73, Dick ZS6RO

                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                Found it.

                You can add an @HA to the TO call - but as you cant have two @ in a message, replace the first with a | so

                gm8bpq+call@...@... becomes gm8bpq+call|bbs.gbr.eu@...< o>

                73, John

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 19, 2013

                  John, send an email to ‘zs6ro at ham-radio dot co dot za’ …  I will receive this on my BBS …  I will reply to the message from the BBS and you should receive the email …  No “+” or extra characters added … Any non-technical email author will be able to do  that without thinking because its standard …

                  I’m not using GoogleMail .. I have my own Postfix email server on my home server dedicated to the BBS (ALL mail from this email server goes to the BBS, except addressed to ‘root’, ‘postmaster’, etc.) .. The BBS sends email traffic to my ISP email server which will relay same … I have my own ‘general’ email server (zs6ro.co.za) and web server  ( http://zs6ro.co.za )  sitting on a remote static ip-address virtual server …

                  73, Dick ZS6RO

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 20, 2013

                    Oki, Dick.

                    Sorry, I'd assumed you were uing gmail.

                    The latest code (113) should look up routes (from HOMEBBS if a user of your BBS, or WP if not) if none is specified

                    73, John

                    John, send an email to ‘zs6ro at ham-radio dot co dot za’ …  I will receive this on my BBS …  I will reply to the message from the BBS and you should receive the email …  No “+” or extra characters added … Any non-technical email author will be able to do  that without thinking because its standard …

                    I’m not using GoogleMail .. I have my own Postfix email server on my home server dedicated to the BBS (ALL mail from this email server goes to the BBS, except addressed to ‘root’, ‘postmaster’, etc.) .. The BBS sends email traffic to my ISP email server which will relay same … I have my own ̵ 6;general’ email server (zs6ro.co.za) and web server  ( http://zs6ro.co.za )  sitting on a remote static ip-address virtual server …

                    73, Dick ZS6RO

                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 20, 2013

                      John, works perfectly after testing the email function .. Many many thanks – really appreciate it … mail authors/users won’t have to remember anything special as its just another email and all standard now (well, here at ZS0MEE BBS - *Grin) …

                      73, Dick ZS6RO

                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

                    • CJ Hanekom
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 20, 2013
                        Hi John,

                        I just did an linbpq update.
                        The version number shows as 6.0.1.1.
                        Is this correct or should it be 6.0.1.113?

                        Regards

                        Hannes
                        ZL1LW

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 20, 2013

                          It has been renumbered to 6.0.1.1 (from 6.0.0.113) to match the new BPQ32 version which should be released in the next day or two.

                          John