NEW MEMBER INTRO PLUS QUESTION

  • KU4GW Cliff
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013
      Hello to the group! I just signed up a couple days ago and wanted to introduce myself.Call is KU4GW and located in western North Carolina in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns. I just started up a new node here on Barretts Mtn and named it BRTMTN:KU4GW-7 using BPQ32 v5.2.9.1 and a old MFJ-1270B TNC running into a Radio Shack HTX-242 mobile rig at 50 watts into a Cushcraft A148-10S 10 element yagi antenna. Using a old Icom PS-55 power supply. Node is at 1,454 feet ASL. My age is 51 and a ham for almost 17 years now, used to do packet back in 97-98 on a old 486 IBM PC running packet and APRS old MS-DOS programs. It just about died out here in NC, but thanks to KF4LLF Seth there has been a recent resurgence of packet in NC. I think he's on a one man crusade to save it and it appears to be working too! I am having one issue so far that I haven't been able to resolve and it's a daily occurance that's getting to be pretty annoying. For some reason it will just stop working on RF port 1. I have another node close by named TVILLE:W4EERT-7 and I will send a connect request to the node on port 1 and my rig will key up and transmit one time and then I see TVILLE's packets on the S-meter at S-9 signal trying to connect and I see them in the activity window as well, but my rig never sends the ack to complete the connection. When it does this simply restarting the software doesn't work. The only way to get it working again is to restart the PC. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 17R Laptop running Windows 7 64-bit operating system. Perhaps some of you have experienced the same issue and can pass along some info on how to resolve this most annoying problem. I told KF4LLF Seth it may be because I'm using the TNC that Noah had on the ark, LOL! Anyway, it's great to be back on packet radio again and great to be a member of the BPQ32 Yahoo Group too! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

      Very 73!
      Cliff - KU4GW
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013
        Hi Cliff,,

        Welcome to the group and back to Packet!

        The only thing that I can think that wouldn't be fixed by restarting the TNC and the software is a problem with the USB - serial adapter. You don't say if you are using one, but as hardly any machines these days have real serial ports I'm assuming you do  I don't run a 64 bit OS here, but I have heard of problems with drivers. Next time it fails, you could try stopping the software, removing and reinserting the adapter and restarting the node. If that fixes it, then at least you know where to start looking.

        73, John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013
          Hi folks,

          Is anyone interesting in running LinBPQ on a MAC?

          I've got a port basically working on a pretty old power pc based mac running OSX 10.3, but there is a bit of work to do in it,l and I don't want to waste the time if no one is interested.

          73, John G8BPQ

        • Harold Kinchelow
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013

            Hey John.  I have one laying around doing nothing.  Let me know how I need to prepare the mac.  I have OSX 10.3 on it now.  I was actually thinking of putting Linux on it but if bpq is going to be native then ill wait.

            TTY soon

            Harold
            K7ILO

            On Mar 17, 2013 10:08 AM, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

            Hi folks,

            Is anyone interesting in running LinBPQ on a MAC?

            I've got a port basically working on a pretty old power pc based mac running OSX 10.3, but there is a bit of work to do in it,l and I don't want to waste the time if no one is interested.

            73, John G8BPQ

          • Dennis Nelson
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013
              Hi Cliff, based on the specs I saw for the laptop i'll assume you're using a usb serial adapter. What kind is it and was the driver the most recent?
              I've used a prolific unit under Win7 pro with no problem with a 1270b tnc. It could be a cable problem from the rig to the tnc, the audio is looking like it could be a touch low going in. Only a guess. 73. Dennis.

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013
                Ok, Harold,

                I don't know much about the mac, but it is a bit more than I did yesterday when I started on this!

                I have Telnet and axip working, along with the BBS and Chat. I'll see if I can get KISS up, then send you a copy to play with.

                73, John

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013

                  Ok John, just let me know and Ill pull out the mac and get it set up.

                  This is to run under OSX natively right?

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013
                    Correct,

                    John

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013

                      Oh yeah John

                      At some point, throw the agw or uz7ho driver in it so I can connect it to my remote radio with uz7ho running and put it “on the air” for testing when its that time.

                      All setup here so just let me know when ur ready.

                      TTYL

                      Harold

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013
                        Definitely interested here.

                        Got a 10.3 machine laying around, waiting for something good to do.

                        Jim Wagner
                        KA7EHK

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013
                          I think you may have just figured it out John because when I switched from Windows Vista to Windows 7 the PL-2303 virtual comport drivers would no longer run Ham Radio Deluxe. I wound up having to buy a FTDI chipset cable to get HRD running again. As soon as I plugged it in Windows 7 installed the driver for it automatically .It did the same thing! It would run a while and just stop working! After I installed the FTDI chipset cable no problems ever since then. When KF4LLF Seth installed your node software a few weeks ago he used PL2303 drivers and USB cable to run the new USB port, the one that connects to the TNC. That pretty well tells me that it's going to have to have the FTDI cable and driver also. Thanks you so much!

                          Very 73,
                          Cliff - KU4GW

                          > Hi Cliff,,
                          >
                          > Welcome to the group and back to Packet!
                          >
                          > The only thing that I can think that wouldn't be fixed by restarting the TNC
                          > and the software is a problem with the USB - serial adapter. You don't say
                          > if you are using one, but as hardly any machines these days have real serial
                          > ports I'm assuming you do I don't run a 64 bit OS here, but I have heard of
                          > problems with drivers. Next time it fails, you could try stopping the
                          > software, removing and reinserting the adapter and restarting the node. If
                          > that fixes it, then at least you know where to start looking.
                          >
                          > 73, John G8BPQ
                          >

                          > _____

                        • KU4GW Cliff
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013
                            Are you using the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Dennis?

                            73, Cliff KU4GW

                            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Nelson <kb9rrx2002@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Cliff, based on the specs I saw for the laptop i'll assume you're using a usb serial adapter. What kind is it and was the driver the most recent?
                            > I've used a prolific unit under Win7 pro with no problem with a 1270b tnc. It could be a cable problem from the rig to the tnc, the audio is looking like it could be a touch low going in. Only a guess. 73. Dennis.
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • KU4GW Cliff
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013
                              This is the cable I had to buY to keep HRD from stopping working John. It will likely resolve the node issue too.

                              Very 73, Cliff KU4GW

                              > Hi Cliff,,
                              >
                              > Welcome to the group and back to Packet!
                              >
                              > The only thing that I can think that wouldn't be fixed by restarting the TNC
                              > and the software is a problem with the USB - serial adapter. You don't say
                              > if you are using one, but as hardly any machines these days have real serial
                              > ports I'm assuming you do I don't run a 64 bit OS here, but I have heard of
                              > problems with drivers. Next time it fails, you could try stopping the
                              > software, removing and reinserting the adapter and restarting the node. If
                              > that fixes it, then at least you know where to start looking.
                              >
                              > 73, John G8BPQ
                              >

                              > _____

                            • Dennis Nelson
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 17, 2013
                                Yes i am, had to check the port after installing the bpq32 software. BTW, unless you changed the folder where you installed the bpq32 switch
                                you'll have to go to a different location to change the .cfg file. 73 Dennis.

                                Are you using the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Dennis?

                                73, Cliff KU4GW

                                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Nelson <kb9rrx2002@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Cliff, based on the specs I saw for the laptop i'll assume you're using a usb serial adapter. What kind is it and was the driver the most recent?
                                > I've used a prolific unit under Win7 pro with no problem with a 1270b tnc. It could be a cable problem from the rig to the tnc, the audio is looking like it could be a touch low going in. Only a guess. 73. Dennis.
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • PD0SNK
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 18, 2013
                                  Cool !
                                  I also have an old imac on the attik doing nothing.
                                  Nice liltle project i think gettin bpq32 on it.
                                  Should be extreme stable on a Mac

                                  Danny PA2SNK

                                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kinchelow <k7ilo1@...> wrote:

                                  > Hey John. I have one laying around doing nothing. Let me know how I need
                                  > to prepare the mac. I have OSX 10.3 on it now. I was actually thinking of
                                  > putting Linux on it but if bpq is going to be native then ill wait.
                                  >
                                  > TTY soon
                                  >
                                  > Harold
                                  > K7ILO
                                  > On Mar 17, 2013 10:08 AM, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > **
                                  > >

                                  > > **
                                  > > Hi folks,
                                  > >
                                  > > Is anyone interesting in running LinBPQ on a MAC?
                                  > >
                                  > > I've got a port basically working on a pretty old power pc based mac
                                  > > running OSX 10.3, but there is a bit of work to do in it,l and I don't want
                                  > > to waste the time if no one is interested.
                                  > >
                                  > > 73, John G8BPQ

                                • K7ILO
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 24, 2013

                                    Hey John.

                                    I think I found a bug in the mac version of bpq and its web access.

                                    I have tried to configure a bbs on the mac version and bpq always shuts down completely after logging into the bbs config section.

                                    This happens with the first and the new release and its either logging in remotely from a different domain or on the local machine.

                                    Im not sure where to start looking for errors so let me know what you need to help figure this one out.

                                    TTY soon

                                    Harold

                                    K7ILO

                                  • k7ilo@ymail.com
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 24, 2013
                                      By the way.
                                      It seems that its only affected when logging into the bbs config, and not the chat config.
                                      It drops as soon as you click configuration after logging in.
                                      Im in chat now if you need me to try anything.

                                      Thanks

                                      Harold
                                      K7ILO

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
                                        Harold,

                                        I don't think there is a fundamental problem as it is working here. FIrst check you have the latest HTML files from https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/HTMLPages.zip If that doesn't fix it, yoiu may have a corrupt linmail.cfg file. Try renaming it so it will create a new one. If that does fix it, can you send me the old file and I'll see if I can find why it causes a creah.

                                        It would also be worth looking in syslog (it is /var/log/system.log on my MAC) for any error messages.

                                        73, John

                                        Is anyone interesting in running LinBPQ on a MAC?

                                        I've got a port basically working on a pretty old power pc based mac running OSX 10.3, but there is a bit of work to do in it,l and I don't want to waste the time if no one is interested.

                                        73, John G8BPQ

                                        </ span>