RE: [BPQ32] [LINBPQ] email to and from ..

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 15 3:57 PM

      OK John, many thanks – appreciate the effort you go to … Will be looking forward to that version *Smile ..

      73, Dick ZS6RO

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Looks like I only tested it on the Windows build of LinBPQ.

      Will be fixed in the next version.

      John

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      After “Create SYMLINK to /xxxxx/xxx/linbpq/log_130315_TCP.txt 0” line, I get

      “SMTP Connect failed immediately’ ….

      73, Dick ZS6RO

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      If the message is produced when LinBPQ starts is is lkely the SMTP port was already opened by another application. But that is the SMTP server for incoming messages from your email mail client, not the SMTP clien t that connects to the ISP. What exactly was the message?

      John

      The TCP Log shows connecting to the POP at every timed interval, but of course there is no emails to come through, so quits correctly .. There is no attempt shown for an SMTP connect …

      What I did notice was that often I start the ‘./linbpq’ from a terminal and leave it open .. I happened to look at the terminal and saw an error message about ‘SMTP failed’ but LinBPQ still ran … That would suggest something wrong with either my config (though it looks OK) or a bug maybe …

      73, Dick ZS6RO

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      That sounds correct - a blank TO means it is an smtp message, with the address in VIA

      Yes, the messages should be sent to the ISP SMTP server. Does the LOG_TCP show any attempt to connect?

      John

      The BBS log shows the message being saved as ‘smtp:email.address’ and no other reference to that msg# until I manually de lete it ..

      The message manager shows the  FROM as ZS6RO, the TO is empty and the VIA shows the email address I addressed the packet message to ..

      Does the packet > email messages get sent to the ISP SMTP address ?

      Incoming emails to packet are fine …

      73, Dick ZS6RO

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      I'm pretty sure I tested it, but will check again, I'm travelling at the moment so dont have access to my Linux boxes.< o>

      In the meantime what does the log_bbs show when you queue the message, and what does manage messages show in the TO and VIA fields?

      < p class="MsoNormal">John

      John, I did post an earlier email to the List regarding email to and from LinBPQ – at that time nothing worked …

      I have got things to work now where an email author on the Internet can write an email to say ‘zs6ro@...’ and it will get posted to the LinBPQ BB S and when I (ZS6RO) log onto th e BBS, the message is there and I can read it – the TCP log also shows this activity – great .. That means I have the email forwarding correct ..

      If from the BBS, I type ‘SR msg#” and reply to this message, it will not go out to the email address and doesn’t get marked as forwarded etc .. I never see the email .. The same as if I write a fresh packet message as ‘SP SMTP:DICK@...” – doesn’t go out either – the TCP log also doesn’t indicate any activity .. I eventually kill them manually ..

      Any idea where I went wrong to get packet message > email ??

      73, Dick ZS6RO

    • David Bird
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 21 8:12 AM
        Michael,

        I have lots to share but give me a couple of days to finish up projects I am currently working on. I suggest you study the Santa Clara plan and understand how it is implemented and then we can build on that.

        I have found Outpost to be the "secret" to making the system work. It is fundamental in how the system operates and makes packet a usable tool for ERC and other message communications.

        73, Dave
        WA7RYV