9308Re: 9600 baud packet instability

  • Jeff - WA4ZKO
    Nov 16, 2012
      My experience is the modem in the PK-96 and the 9612 TNCs perform the same. Neither are true G3RUH modems, but both work well with a good 9.6k radio.

      Best TNC in the world can't make up for BER specs like these, especially when you start off listening to a TX BER that bad.
      (DR-235 BER data per ARRL Lab results)

      Receiver:
      BER at 12-dB SINAD, 3.8×10–3
      BER at 16 dB SINAD, 1.4×10–4
      BER at –50 dBm, 2.4×10–5
      transmitter:
      BER at 12-dB SINAD + 30 dB, 3.4×10–4

      Pretty decent TXDelay, but the RX/TX BER is the problem.

      Good to know there's a usable commercial "off-the-shelf 220 radio out there with the Tait rigs.

      Be nice if the ARRL would get back to publishing BER Test data on the newer rigs. Then maybe crack down on manufacturers advertising rigs as "9600 ready" if they don't meet a minimal BER spec.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
      "Packet Radio never died, it just evolved."
      http://twitter.com/wa4zko

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

      > > I agree totally, I've had the Dr235t in operation for a year and found its
      > > performance on 9.6k nominal and unreliable as a backbone,
      > > During heavy use the dr235t will distort the packets to the points they
      > > cannot be decoded even at short distances.
      >
      > Is that with the built in 9k6 TNC or a "good" external TNC like the PK96?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Bill - WA7NWP

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic