8191Re: [BPQ32] BPQ32 and 44.* addresses

  • Miroslav Skoric
    Mar 31, 2012
      On 3/30/2012 3:19 AM, KB7RSI wrote:

      > They probably didn't understand what you were doing.
      > I agree. Go back to your internal network ip address'
      > 44 is used for the amprnet stuff such as JNOS if you are passing tcp/ip
      > type traffic as Bill mention.
      > Harold

      Sure, Harold. I did not even try to use 44.* addresses because was not
      sure how to distinguish 44.* for BPQ32 nodes, and 192.168.* addresses
      for the LAN itself. I am still experimenting with different setup of
      FPAC nodes in Linux, in order to minimize annoying ARP requests. Until
      now it seems that avoiding activation of axipd in Linux decreases the
      chances for initializing ARP requests. Still investigating ...

      > On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Miroslav Skoric<skoric@...> wrote:
      >> **
      >> On 3/15/2012 12:44 AM, Bill Vodall wrote:
      >>> I'd suggest that the primary reason to use 44.* addresses would be if
      >>> you wanted to do TCP on AX25 on the air AND connect it back to the
      >>> world wide 44 systems with a tunnel. Other than that it's just like
      >>> using one of the non-routed segments (192.168.*). It might even be
      >>> adding confusion if you're using a 44 number that should be reachable
      >>> from the Internet or other 44 net stations and it isn't available.
      >> I agree with that, but I don't know why Linuxhams list members advised
      >> me to use 44.* instead of 192.168.* and if that change would remove
      >> annoying ARP requests that Linux FPAC node sends to BPQ32 nodes in the
      >> wired LAN. At the moment I do not plan doing any TCP on AX25 on the air,
      >> etc. (It is just experimenting in the LAN.) Any idea?
      >> Misko
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic